Follow the steps below to help you with the application process (click the arrow to expand for more information). Thoroughly read the job announcement, it will list everything required to apply for the position. You must include all required information as listed in the USAJOBS announcement to be considered for the position.
(If you already have an account, skip to Step 2)
You must create a login.gov account to sign in to USAJOBS. The service login.gov offers secure and private online access to government programs. To create a login.gov account, visit Login.gov – Help.
Before you can apply for a job, you must create a USAJOBS profile and complete all of the required fields. Verify your information is up-to-date before starting an application.
Select Create Profile. Follow the steps to complete your contact, citizenship, and experience information.
You should complete the Preferences section to improve your job search results.
You can search for jobs by keyword or location, or use a Saved Search.
You can save a search to help you look for jobs in your area of interest. You can sign up to receive daily, weekly, or monthly email notifications. Watch this short video on how to save a search.
Carefully review the job announcement, including the How to Apply and Required Documents sections.
Resumes should be tailored to each job you are applying for. You can save up to five resumes to your account.
Upload Resume Instructions
Uploaded resumes must be less than 3MB and in one of the following formats: GIF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, RTF, PDF, TXT, or Word (DOC or DOCX).
Resume Builder Instructions
Go to the Documents top menu item and verify you are in the Resumes section. Select Upload or build resume and follow the instructions.
Carefully review the job announcement Required Documents section. Upload all required documents by selecting Documents from the top menu, select Other (Resumes will be the default selection). Follow the directions for uploading.
- Find the job you want to apply to and open the job announcement.
- Select Apply.
- Select Resume – select the resume you want to submit. Select Save & Continue.
- Select Documents – select the document(s) you want to submit as part of your application. Make sure you include all required documents. Select Save & Continue.
- Review Package – review resume and documents for accuracy. Check the certification button acknowledging that you have reviewed your resume and document(s). Select Save & Continue.
- Complete Include Personal Information page. Select Save & Continue.
- Read the certification statement, if you agree, check the certification button, then select Continue to Agency Site. You will leave USAJOBS and be sent to the Forest Service application system.
- Complete Personal Security Information and select Continue.
- Verify Biographic Information and select Continue.
- Complete Eligibilities information and select Continue.
- Complete Preferences information and select Continue. This page may not appear if the job announcement is advertised with one grade, series, and location.
- Complete Assessment statements and select Continue.
- Assign Documents you uploaded in USAJOBS to the accepted documents field. You can upload any documents you may have missed.
- Review & Submit your application information. You can review each section and make any changes needed. A green checkmark indicates the entire section is complete. There are sub-sections within each section, which will also display a green checkmark or a red X for incomplete. Once you verify your application is complete and accurate, check the certification box. Select Submit Application.
From the USAJOBS Home page, under the Application section, click the plus sign (+) next to the application you want to review.
- Receive email notifications from USAJOBS regarding your application by clicking on “Notification Settings” in the “Application Status” tab and selecting the notification alerts you wish to receive.
- Set up saved job searches to automatically search for jobs based on your search criteria and send you email notifications about other job opportunities.
- Tips for Applicants is a guide to understanding and completing the Forest Service application process.
- How to Apply video by the Office of Personnel Management provides tips for finding and applying for jobs within the US government.
- Tailor your resume to each job in which you are applying
- Spell out acronyms
- Be honest
- Write clear and concise statements
- Use active verbs
- Proofread your resume
Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
The Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) provides temporary employees of federal land management agencies opportunity to compete for permanent competitive service positions. If you are/were a temporary employee of a land management agency and are interested in applying for permanent positions under this Act, refer to the Applicant Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). It is recommended to request the required documentation as soon as possible. All required documents are to be submitted in your application.
Required Documents When Using a Hiring Authority
When applying to job openings and claiming a Hiring Authority, you must submit specific documents in addition to the required documents listed on the job opportunity announcement. Please refer to the Required Documents for Hiring Authorities Quick Guide for specific required documentation.
Questions? Contact Us!
Human Resources Management is here to help. Contact us with questions about your application by calling 1-877-372-7248, select Option 2, and follow the prompts. The Contact Center is open from 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (MST) Monday through Friday, and closed on all federal holidays.