How to Prepare a Successful Application
- Search current job openings on USAJOBS.
- Create a USAJOBS profile﹘it is free and required to apply for a job with the U.S. Forest Service. (It is not necessary to create a new profile if you already have one.) With USAJOBS, your basic demographic information will automatically populate when you apply for multiple positions across the Federal government.
- Once your profile is set up, you must upload a resume in USAJOBS, which should be tailored to the job for which you are applying. You can create a resume through the USAJOBS website or upload a resume as an attachment. Other documents that may be required can also be uploaded here.
- You may choose to receive email notifications via USAJOBS by clicking on “Notification Settings” in the “Application Status” tab and selecting the notification alerts you wish to receive regarding your application.
- Set up saved job searches to automatically search for jobs based on your search criteria and send you email notifications about other job opportunities.
- Tailor your resume to each job in which you are applying
- Spell out acronyms
- Be honest
- Write clear and concise statements
- Use active verbs
- Proofread your resume
Below are a few resources to help you apply for Forest Service positions through USAJOBS:
- Tips for Applicants is a guide to understanding and completing the Forest Service application process.
- Watch this How to Apply video by the Office of Personnel Management about finding and applying for jobs within the US government.
Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
The Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) provides temporary employees of federal land management agencies opportunity to compete for permanent competitive service positions. If you are/were a temporary employee of a land management agency and are interested in applying for permanent positions under this Act, refer to the Applicant Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). It is recommended to request the required documentation as soon as possible. All required documents are to be submitted in your application.
Required Documents When Using a Hiring Authority
When applying to job openings and claiming a Hiring Authority, you must submit specific documents in addition to the required documents listed on the job opportunity announcement. Please refer to the Required Documents for Hiring Authorities Quick Guide for specific required documentation.
Questions? Contact Us!
Human Resources Management is here to help. Contact us with questions about your application by calling 1-877-372-7248, select Option 2, and follow the prompts. The Contact Center is open from 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (MST) Monday through Friday, and closed on all federal holidays.