Become a wildland firefighter apprentice and challenge yourself to new limits.
Apply August 1 - 28
Tips for Job Seekers Webinar
Learn more about the wildland firefighter apprenticeship program and how to apply.
You can join on a computer or mobile device.
Tuesday, August 6, from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Tuesday, August 20, from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Dail-in: 1-888-844-9904; Access Code: 2650892
(join webinar by link/button below)
We're Hiring Firefighter Apprentices! Apply August 1-28
Make a lasting impact and join the Forest Service! We are hiring wildland firefighter apprentices. Applications are accepted online through USAJOBS August 1 - 28. We are hiring positions across the nation; see the job announcement for available duty locations. *Regions 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, and 9 are hiring (see map below).
Forestry Technician (Apprentice) - Application open to public
Forestry Technician (Apprentice) - Application open to current federal employees and individuals who are eligible for certain hiring authorities (see "This job is open to" section of the job announcement)
Wildland Firefighter Apprentice Information
The Wildland Firefighter Apprenticeship Program develops the knowledge and basic skills necessary to work as a wildland firefighter. Selected applicants will attend a 3,000 hour on-the-job learning program, which includes a two month-long residential firefighting academy at the Wildland Fire Training Center in McClellan, California. Apprentices will be paid and all costs of training will be covered by the Forest Service.
Challenge yourself to new limits, join the Forest Service men and women who serve to protect millions of acres within our national forests, our communities, and our natural resources.
Wildland firefighter apprentices are involved with wildland fire suppression, management and control. They may be away from home for weeks at a time, often work long hours outdoors and may fly in helicopters, hike into mountainous areas or patrol on roads to access wildfires. They may also speak to the public about fire prevention. Other duties may include working in a dispatch or fire prevention capacity.
- Must be a US Citizen or US National
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
- Must meet Interagency Fire Program Management (IFPM) qualifications
- Position requires a Work Capacity Test (WCT)
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Subject to negative drug test prior to entrance on duty
- Must meet Maximum Entry Age (MEA) requirements, ages 18-37*
*Veterans and applicants eligible for the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) may apply if they are older than 37. For more information, contact Human Resources Management at (877) 372-7248, Option 2.
Visit your local Forest Service website for more information including location information and application dates.
- Northern Region (R1)
- Rocky Mountain Region (R2)
- Southwestern Region (R3)
- Intermountain Region (R4)
- Pacific Southwest Region (R5)
- Pacific Northwest Region (R6)
- Southern Region (R8)
- Eastern Region (R9)
- Alaska Region (R10)
- Frequently Asked Questions about becoming a Forest Service wildland firefighter.
- Remember to attach all required documentation to be considered for the position(s).
- Apply for a Forest Service Job – has helpful information to guide you through the application process.
- Interagency Fire Program Management Standard (IFPM) is a collaborative effort between the U.S. Forest Service and the Department of Interior wildland bureaus to establish minimum qualification standards for key positions in Fire and Aviation Management (FAM). In addtion, the U.S. Forest Service implemented an agency addendum to IFPM called the Forest Service Fire Program Management Standard (FS-FPM).
Help is Available
The How to Apply webpage has helpful information to help with the application process.
Human Resources Management is here to help. Contact us with questions about your application by calling 1-877-372-7248, select Option 2, and follow the prompts. The Contact Center is open from 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (MST) Monday through Friday, and closed on all federal holidays.
If you are interested in receiving updates about this hiring event, please send an email with your name and contact information to SM.FS.email@example.com.