The following are links to other Internet websites related to Celebrating Wildflowers. These links include websites of our partners in the Forest Service, other agencies, and organizations.
Native Plant Societies
These organizations promote preservation, conservation, and knowledge about native plants. Most include a wide array of activities and information including field trips, wild wildflower walks, wildflower presentations, seed exchanges, native plant gardening, restoration information, photo galleries, botanical references, newsletters, plant lists, information about invasive plants and plant classes.
- Alaska Native Plant Society
- American Fern Society
- Arizona Native Plant Society
- Arkansas Native Plant Society
- Botanical Club of Wisconsin
- Botanical Society of America
- California Native Plant Society
- Colorado Native Plant Society
- Connecticut Botanical Society
- Delaware Native Plant Society
- Delaware Valley Fern and Wildflower Society
- Florida Native Plant Society
- Georgia Botanical Society
- Great Plains Native Plant Society
- Idaho Native Plant Society
- Illinois Native Plant Society
- Indiana Native Plant and Wildflower Society
- Iowa Native Plant Society
- Kansas Native Plant Society
- Kentucky Native Plant Society
- Louisiana Native Plant Society
- Maryland Native Plant Society
- Michigan Botanical Club
- Minnesota Native Plant Society
- Missouri Native Plant Society
- Montana Native Plant Society
- Native Plant Society of New Mexico
- Native Plant Society of Oregon
- Nebraska Native Plant Society
- Native Plant Trust - Conserving and promoting New England’s native plants.
- Nevada Native Plant Society
- New England Botanical Club
- North Carolina Native Plant Society
- North American Rock Garden Society
- Oklahoma Native Plant Society
- PA Botany Symposium
- Rhode Island Wild Plant Society
- South Carolina Native Plant Society
- Southern Appalachian Botanical Society
- Native Plant Society of Texas
- Utah Native Plant Society
- Virginia Native Plant Society
- Washington Native Plant Society
- West Virginia Native Plant Society
- Wyoming Native Plant Society
Botanical Gardens and Arboreta
- Alaska Botanical Garden
- Amy B.H. Greenwell Ethnobotanical Garden, Hawaii
- Arboretum at Flagstaff, Arizona
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
- Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, Massachusetts
- Berry Botanic Garden, Portland, Oregon (closed in 2010)
- Betty Ford Alpine Gardens, Colorado
- Boyce Thompson Arboretum, Superior, Arizona
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden, New York
- Cheyenne Botanic Gardens, Wyoming
- Chicago Botanic Garden, Illinois
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, Ohio
- Cornell Plantations, New York
- Denver Botanic Gardens, Colorado
- Desert Botanical Garden, Arizona
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Florida
- Garden in the Woods (New England Wild Flower Society), Massachusetts
- Herbarium at Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pennsylvania
- Lyon Arboretum, Hawaii
- Bok Tower Gardens, Florida
- The Holden Arboretum, Ohio
- Honolulu Botanical Gardens, Hawaii
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, Texas
- Longwood Gardens, Pennsylvania
- Mercer Arboretum and Botanic Gardens, Texas
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- Morris Arboretum, Pennsylvania
- The Morton Arboretum, Illinois
- National Tropical Botanical Garden, Hawaii
- Native Plant Center at Westchester Community College, New York
- Nebraska Statewide Arboretum
- The North Carolina Arboretum
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, California
- Red Butte Garden and Arboretum, Utah
- Regional Parks Botanic Garden, California
- Rio Grande Botanic Garden, New Mexico
- Sawtooth Botanical Garden, Idaho
- San Antonio Botanical Garden, Texas
- Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, California
- St. George Village Botanic Garden, Virgin Islands
- Tohono Chul Park, Tucson, Arizona
- Tucson Botanical Gardens, Arizona
- United States Botanic Garden
- United States National Arboretum
- University of California Botanical Garden
- University of Washington Botanic Gardens
- Waimea Valley, Hawaii
Other Botanical Resources
- American Orchid Society
A colorful site with excellent information on an array of topics including orchid species, growing orchids, the orchid Doctor, orchid propagation, classes, exhibits and orchid conservation.
- American Public Gardens Association
American Public Gardens Association serves public gardens and advances them as leaders, advocates, and innovators.
- BEN (Botanical Electronic News)
Interesting and colorful botanical news, updated monthly, this site includes the archives of all issues.
- Wildflowers of Colorado
A comprehensive photo collection of wildflowers found in Colorado.
- Death Valley Wildflowers
Information about wildflower viewing in Death Valley National Park and links to desert wildflower photos.
- East Tennessee Wildflowers and Hiking Trails
East Tennessee is blessed with a bounty of beautiful wildflowers. The show starts in early March and continues through early November. These flowers can be enjoyed while hiking through the woods, walking in a park, and even when traveling along the back roads and interstate highways. The site includes tips for wildflower identification, wildflower galleries from other states and countries, a wildflower name index, teacher resources, information about hiking, and a wide array of natural history topics.
- Flora of North America
FNA presents for the first time, in one published reference source, information on the names, taxonomic relationships, continent-wide distributions, and morphological characteristics of all plants native and naturalized found in North America north of Mexico. The Flora will appear in 30 volumes and will be available in print and on the Web. This valuable site includes on-line volumes of the flora, botanical educational material and the Flora of North America Newsletter.
- Herb Society of America
An organization that focuses on educating its members and the public on the cultivation of herbs and the study of their history and uses, both past and present.
- ITIS Integrated Taxonomic Information System
A source of authoritative taxonomic information on plants as well as animals, fungi and microbes.
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI)
An in depth database of the names and associated basic bibliographical details of all seed plants, ferns and fern allies. Searchable by plant name, author and publications.
- Michigan Wildflowers
A catalog of digital photographs to help identify wildflowers found in Michigan including common and Latin names.
NatureServe is a non-profit conservation organization that provides scientific information and tools to help guide effective conservation action. NatureServe and its network of natural heritage programs are a source for information about rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems.
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources: Ohio Wildflower Bloom Report
What better time than spring to contemplate the beauty of nature in Ohio’s woods? From late March until May, the glory of spring can be found along many of Ohio’s wooded trails. The Ohio Wildflower Bloom Report offers great information for the Ohio resident or traveler, including updated bloom statuses along with species profiles.
- Online Virtual Flora of Wisconsin
A collaborative effort between the herbaria of the UW-Madison (WIS) and the UW-Steven's Point (UWSP), along with most of the other herbaria located in the state of Wisconsin.
- Plant Lives
Plant Lives is the home of Plant Biographies and is an encyclopedia of plants and their interrelationship with man and the planet, their usage, practices, history, influence and unusual properties - from Xerxes to the present day.
- Project Budburst
Project BudBurst participants make careful observations of the timing of leafing, flowering, and fruiting phases of plants (plant phenophases) throughout the year. Scientists and educators can use the data to learn more about how plant species respond to changes in climate locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Smithsonian Department of Botany
This site includes botanical art and images, references, botanical events and activities, information about research and collections.
- Southwest Colorado Wildflowers, Ferns, and Trees
A web site for the identification and appreciation of mountain and desert wildflowers, ferns, and trees of the Four Corners area of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah.
- USDA PLANTS Database
This very usable database provides standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories. Wide arrays of searches are available, including scientific name, common name, and state searches. The image gallery includes 30,000 images, downloads include checklists and posters.
- Utah Wildflowers
Scott Nichols' website dedicated to appreciating, identifying and learning more about the wildflowers of Utah.
- Center for Biological Diversity
Programs, campaigns, resources, events, and information for "Protecting endangered species and wild places."
- Center for Plant Conservation
The mission of the Center for Plant Conservation is to conserve and restore the rare native plants of the United States.
- Honeybee Conservancy
The Honeybee Conservancy is a 501c3 non-profit organization that works to help the bees, while increasing access to organic, sustainable food in under-served communities.
- The Hummingbird Society
The Mission of the Hummingbird Society is to promote the understanding and conservation of hummingbirds.
- Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation
Hunt Institute specializes in the history of botany and all aspects of plant science and serves the international scientific community through research and documentation.
- Native Plant Conservation Campaign (NPCC)
The Native Plant Conservation Campaign (NPCC) is a project of the California Native Plant Society and the Center for Biological Diversity, two of the nation's leading biological diversity conservation science and advocacy groups.
- North American Pollinator Protection Campaign (NAPPC)
An organization that encourages the health of resident and migratory pollinating animals in North America.
- Plant Conservation Alliance Non-Federal Cooperator Committee
A public-private partnership of organizations that share the same goal: to protect native plants by ensuring that native plant populations and their communities are maintained, enhanced, and restored.
- Rare Care (Center for Urban Horticulture)
The Washington Rare Plant Care & Conservation Program (Rare Care) at the University of Washington's Center for Urban Horticulture establishes the first plant conservation program focused exclusively on vascular plants designated as rare in Washington State.
- The Pollinator Partnership
The Pollinator Partnership is a non-profit organization that sponsors the North American Pollinator Protection Campaign (NAPPC), which is coordinated by the non-profit Coevolution Institute (CoE). The Pollinator Partnership is a series of projects to help people, plants and pollinators. One project is Pollinator.org, a source of pollinator information for consumers, gardeners, educators, resource managers, producers and farmers.
- Wild Ones: Native Plants, Natural Landscapes
Wild Ones: Native Plants, Natural Landscapes promotes environmentally sound landscaping practices to preserve biodiversity through the preservation, restoration and establishment of native plant communities. Wild Ones is a not-for-profit environmental education and advocacy organization.
- The Xerces Society
An international nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting biological diversity through invertebrate conservation.