Forest Taxation under the Cooperative Forestry Staff of the U.S. Forest Service provides national leadership on forest tax policy, tax education, and information that are important to support private forest stewardship and conservation.
Cooperative Forestry tracks the latest tax law changes, delivers estate planning information, and provides forest tax policy assessment through websites, publications, presentations, workshops, and webinars. We work in collaboration with State Forestry Agencies, Cooperative Extension Services, and Forest Landowner Associations.
The tax and planning information assistance helps private landowners and rural communities to manage lands sustainably. It benefits forest landowners, forestry consultants, accountants, lawyers, and State agency forest land managers.
Upcoming Timber Tax Webinar
Timber Tax Filing for the 2016 Tax Year - Webinar Link:
Time: Friday, Feb. 17, 2017
1:00pm - 2:15 pm U.S. Eastern Time
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
What will you learn?
As April 18, 2017 tax filing deadline approaching, join this timber tax webinar to get the latest tax information, filing updates, and practical tax tips on:
- How to report timber sale
- What timber-related expenses and losses can be deducted
- Who are responsible for filing 1099 on timber sales
- What are the IRS rules on record keeping and substantiating expenses
The webinar will answer your specific questions through the online interactive session. It will cover the rules for timber tax reporting, including the latest law changes that was passed by Congress affecting individuals and corporate taxpayers. It will discuss the key federal income tax issues on timber transactions that is unfamiliar by most tax preparers as timber is a highly specialized area in tax law. New tax policy development and its implications, if applicable, will be addressed to help the participants understand the changes for tax planning in the future.
Dr. Linda Wang, National Timber Tax Specialist, USDA Forest Service
Who should participate?
Landowners, foresters, loggers, timber companies, extension agents, natural resource agency program staff and directors, CPAs, Tax Enrolled Agents, attorneys, and other tax preparers
Education Credits Units:
- Society of American Foresters - One hour of SAF CFE Category I credits have been applied for
Join the webinar by simply logging on. No prior registration is required.
Please fill out the registration form and a short survey before being directed to view.
- Before participating in your first webinar delivered via Blackboard Collaborate (software) on your computer or mobile device, make sure to complete the configuration setup for your computer or mobile device. See instructions at forestrywebinar.net.
- Please consider joining the webinar 30 minutes earlier to allow ample time to test your computer.
- Click the orange “join” button to participate.
Back to: Cooperative
Forestry Home | Landowner Assistance