You are here

The U.S. Geological Survey Paleomagnetics Laboratory at Fort Valley Experimental Forest-1970-1991

Posted date: March 26, 2009
Publication Year: 
2008
Authors: Elston, Shirley; Shoemaker, Carolyn
Publication Series: 
Proceedings (P)
Source: In: Olberding, Susan D., and Moore, Margaret M., tech. coords. Fort Valley Experimental Forest-A Century of Research 1908-2008. Conference Proceedings; August 7-9, 2008; Flagstaff, AZ. Proc. RMRS-P-55. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 168-174
Note: This article is part of a larger document.

Abstract

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) Paleomagnetics Laboratory was established in 1970, when Dr. Donald P. Elston of USGS negotiated with officials of the U.S. Forest Service in Flagstaff for the use of several buildings at the Fort Valley Experimental Forest (FVEF). The Fort Valley location was ideal for use as a laboratory, because its distance from Flagstaff mitigated the possibility of outside magnetic disturbance, which could affect any results obtained. It should also be noted that the necessary space was potentially available, in that most of the buildings were in states of disrepair and in danger of being torn down or moved. The USGS updated the buildings used by the Laboratory and helped ensure that the FVEF remained intact (Figure 1).

Citation

Elston, Shirley; Shoemaker, Carolyn 2008. The U.S. Geological Survey Paleomagnetics Laboratory at Fort Valley Experimental Forest-1970-1991. In: Olberding, Susan D., and Moore, Margaret M., tech. coords. Fort Valley Experimental Forest-A Century of Research 1908-2008. Conference Proceedings; August 7-9, 2008; Flagstaff, AZ. Proc. RMRS-P-55. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 168-174