One hundred years ago, the U.S. Forest Service launched a research program on the Fort Valley Experimental Forest to enhance the management of southwestern ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) forests. This research program was the first scientific venture of its kind in the United States at the time it was initiated in 1908-and it is now the oldest in the country. Much of the early research was undertaken by G. A. "Gus" Pearson, who established the experimental forest in 1908 and guided its research program until his retirement in 1945. Research conducted at Fort Valley can be grouped into the general categories of ecology and silvical characteristics to provide a foundation for management; obtaining successful regeneration, which was a main reason for beginning research at Fort Valley; stand management including conversion of the original (virgin) stands to a condition of improved growth and quality; and control of damaging agents to maintain stands in a healthy and productive status (Gaines and Kotok 1954, Pearson 1942, 1950, Schubert 1974, and others). This historical review focuses mainly on the research efforts aimed at stand management with a lesser emphasis on the control of damaging agents.