You are here

Fort Valley Experimental Forest-A Century of Research 1908-2008

Posted date: March 20, 2009
Publication Year: 
2008
Authors: Olberding, Susan D.; Moore, Margaret M.
Publication Series: 
Proceedings (P)
Source: Conference Proceedings; August 7-9, 2008; Flagstaff, AZ. Proc. RMRS-P-55. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 282 p.

Abstract

One hundred years ago, the USFS began its forest research program in a two-room cabin near Flagstaff, Arizona, with one staff person, Gustaf A. Pearson. The site became known as the Fort Valley Experiment Station and was the first in a national network of research sites developed to address uncertainties regarding the rehabilitation and conservation for forest and range lands in the nation. Fort Valley's name has changed over the century and for today's reader, Fort Valley Experimental Forest (FVEF) is used. The conference recognized pioneering silvicultural, range, and watershed research and how the work continues today. Invited papers and contributed poster papers were presented during the first day of the conference. The second day's schedule included field trips and the dedication of new monuments at the historic Fort Valley Experimental Forest headquarters. The conference consisted of USFS retired researchers, current scientists, and students that addressed issues affecting the perpetuation of the ponderosa pine forest of the Southwest.

Citation

Olberding, Susan D., and Moore, Margaret M., tech. coords. 2008. Fort Valley Experimental Forest-A Century of Research 1908-2008. Conference Proceedings; August 7-9, 2008; Flagstaff, AZ. Proc. RMRS-P-55. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 282 p.