This poster presents the continuing cooperative relationship between the Fort Valley Experimental Forest (FVEF), Coconino National Forest (CNF), USFS Region 3, and the long-term partnerships with the Museum of the Northern Arizona and the NAU School of Forestry.
Fort Valley was initially named the Coconino Experiment Station and funds were channeled through Region (then District) 3 and the CNF. CNF Ranger William Wilson assisted G.A. Pearson that first winter at Fort Valley. Since Fort Valley’s establishment as an experimental area, Forest Service Research has worked in conjunction with the National Forest System to sustain the magnificent ponderosa pine forest. Scientists study the forest and range ecosystems on the National Forests and make recommendations to ensure the natural resources are protected in perpetuity (Figure 1). Some of the permanent sample plots implemented in 1912 are still used for research and urgently need protection from other National Forest activities. A proposal to list the permanent sample plots on National Forests in Region 3 on the National Register of Historic Places is a step that will safeguard the research sites. Both Fort Valley and the Coconino celebrate centennials in 2008. Also included are the connections of Fort Valley scientists to the Museum of Northern Arizona and Arizona State College, now Northern Arizona University (NAU).