Aerial Delivery Systems
Support for Fire and Aviation Management
Aerial Delivery Systems (ADS) provides support to the Fire and Aviation Management Program (FAM) regarding the development of Interagency Airtanker Board (IAB) tank requirements and delivery systems testing.
We perform technology transfer through national, regional, and local training, through participation on advisory boards, and through cooperation/consultation with industry.
We also prepare and distributes introductory-level information related to major aspects of the aerial delivery systems for wildland fire chemical application.
- View User Information Sheets
ADS develops performance models and application relationships, testing and evaluation methods, and design guides and performance criteria for evaluating fixed- and rotary- wing airtankers.
Aerial Delivery Systems
We evaluate fixed-wing and helicopter delivery systems using drop tests and static testing to ensure conformity with performance criteria and to validate performance models.
The "Interagency Airtanker Board 2013 Procedures and Criteria” outlines current system test requirements.
We produce a series of drop guides to help users determine optimum performance of fixed- and rotor-wing delivery systems in various fire conditions. The links below provide information about drop testing and tank delivery system operation and safety requirements:
- Drop Test and Static Test Information
- System-Specific User Guides
- GPC Calculation Method
- Evaluation Procedures for Qualification Testing
- Safe Drop Height for Fixed-Wing Airtankers
- Experimental tank and Gating System (ETAGS)
- Airtankers as Fierfighting Tools 1960
- Analysis of Fire Retardant 2DVD Data
- Comprehensive Status Report on ORE Study Supplemental Data
- High Altitude Retardant Drop Mechanization Study
- NWST-00003_Rheological Properties of Fire Retardant Shock Hydrodynamics 1974
- NWST-00005_CL-215 Ground Distribution Patterns 1975 George
- NWST-00006_Chemicals for Firefighting NFPA
- NWST-00011_Airdrop Simulation 1970 Van Meter
- NWST-00014_INT-134_Drop Characteristics 1973 George and Blakely
- NWST-00016_Corrosion of Airtankers 1965 Davis and Phillips
- NWST-00096_Rain From Heaven 1935 R1
- NWST-00109_Air Attack on Forest Fires
- NWST-00110_Air Drop Tests 1955 Willows
- NWST-00165_TBM Aerial Tanker Testing 1959
- NWST-00215_TX-350 Preliminary Evaluation 1969 Griegle
- NWST-00776_Aerial Bombing of Forests_1947
- NWST-00819_Aerial Helitankers 1974
- Problem Analysis 1 & 2 .pdf
- Rheological Properties and Aerial Performance