Zanethia C. Barnett
Research Fisheries Biologist
1000 Front Street
Phone: 662-234-2744 x268
Contact Zanethia C. Barnett
I investigate how environmental factors impact biodiversity in freshwater ecosystems. I conduct research on freshwater aquatic organisms and ecosystems, focusing on fish and crayfish in streams of the southeastern United States. My research focuses on understanding the relationship among fish, crayfish, and their environment, as well as how disturbances, both natural and anthropogenic, impact these relationships. Because basic life history data is not available for numerous aquatic species, I also conduct studies to improve the life history and distributional knowledge of crayfishes.
Aquatic animal Habitat usage, community structure, and gene flow
The effect of human degradation and climate changes on aquatic animal habitat, habitat usage, community structure, and gene flow
LIGHT REQUIREMENTS OF SEAGRASSES ALONG THE WEST COAST OF PENINSULAR FLORIDAChoice, Zanethia D.; Frazer, Thomas K.; Jacoby, Charles A. 2014. Light requirements of seagrasses determined from historical records of light attenuation along the Gulf coast of peninsular Florida. Marine Pollution Bulletin 81: 94-102.
OUTLOOK FOR COASTAL PLAIN FORESTS
Klepzig, Kier; Shelfer, Richard; Choice, Zanethia. 2014. Outlook for coastal plain forests: a subregional report from the Southern Forest Futures Project. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-GTR-196. Asheville, NC: USDA-Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 68 p.
- University of Mississippi, Phd Biology 2019
- University of Florida, M.S. Interdisciplinary Ecology 2012
- North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, B.S. Agircultural Economics 2010
- Crustacean Society, Member (2017 - Current)
- Society of Freshwater Science, Member (2017 - Current)
- Alabama Fisheries Association, Member (2016 - Current)
- American Fisheries Society, Member (2016 - Current)
- International Association of Astacology, Member (2013 - Current)
Awards & Recognition
- International Association of Astacology, Oustanding student presentation award, 2018
Barnett, Z. C., R. C. Garrick, C. A. Ochs, and S. B. Adams. 2018. Detectable effects of impoundments on the genetic structure of crayfish (Faxonius spp.) in Alabama 43 years after dam closure. International Association of Astacology.
- Society of Freshwater Science, Runner-Up Award for Best Oral Presentation in Applied Research, 2018
Barnett, Z. C., S. B. Adams, and C. A. Ochs. 2018. Environmental and biological impacts to crayfish populations in impounded and unimpounded streams in Alabama. Society of Freshwater Science.
- USDA SPOT Award, 2018
Outstanding presence of mind and quick action to a field emergency situation
- USDA Inspiring Woman Award, 2016
- University of Florida Top Graduate Research, 2013
Recieved best thesis in major for 2012 graduates
- Forest Service Chief Scholar Fellow, 2012
Awarded to top graduate students that have shown great leadership and adaptability throughout their career. Fellows gain work experience with the Forest Service during their graduate career.
Featured Publications & Products
- Barnett, Zanethia C.; Adams, Susan B.; Ochs, Clifford A.; Garrick, Ryan C. 2020. Crayfish populations genetically fragmented in streams impounded for 36 104 years.
- Penaluna, Brooke E.; Reeves, Gordon H.; Barnett, Zanethia ; Bisson, Peter A.; Buffington, John M.; Dolloff, Andy ; Flitcroft, Rebecca ; Luce, Charles H.; Nislow, Keith ; Rothlisberger, John ; Warren, Mel. . 2018. Using natural disturbance and portfolio concepts to guide aquatic-riparian ecosystem management.
- Barnett, Zanethia C.; Ochs, Clifford A.; Hoeksema, Jason D.; Adams, Susan B. 2020. Multipass electrofishing sampling efficiency for stream crayfish population estimates.
- Barnett, Zanethia C.; Adams, Susan B.; Rosamond, Rebecca L. . 2017. Habitat use and life history of the vernal crayfish, Procambarus viaeviridis (Faxon, 1914), a secondary burrowing crayfish in Mississippi, USA.
- Klepzig, Kier; Shelfer, Richard; Choice, Zanethia. 2014. Outlook for coastal plain forests: a subregional report from the Southern Forest Futures Project.
- Choice, Zanethia D.; Frazer, Thomas K.; Jacoby, Charles A. 2014. Light requirements of seagrasses determined from historical records of light attenuation along the Gulf coast of peninsular Florida.
- Barnett, Zanethia C.; Adams, Susan B. 2018. Comparison of Two Crayfish Trapping Methods in Coastal Plain Seasonal Wetlands.
- Barnett, Zanethia C.; Ochs, Clifford A.; Hoeksema, Jason D.; Adams, Susan B. 2021. Not all methods are created equal: assessment of sampling methods for crayfishes and fishes in southern Appalachian streams.
- Barnett, Zanethia ; Adams, Susan. 2021. Review of dam effects on native and invasive crayfishes illustrates complex choices for conservation planning.
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
Barnett, Z.C. 2019. Effects of impoundments on the community assemblage and gene flow of stream crayfishes. Dissertation. University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi, USA.