240 West Prospect Road
Contact Travis Warziniack
Current work focuses on valuation of ecoystem services, particularly as they relate to water resources and watershed health. Major projects include:
- Development of the General Equilibrium Model of Ecosystem Services (GEMES) to measure ecosystem services on Western U.S. forests
- National study of water demand and supply for RPA Water Assessment
- Water and economic growth in the Colorado River Basin
- Homeowners' understanding of wildland fire risk and motivations for risk mitigating behavior
- Role of forested land in providing safe clean drinking water
Generally, I'm interested in the role natural resources play in community and economic development. Most of this work falls under the category of ecosystem services, and I've enjoyed working with National Forests to address ecosystem services in planning. More specifically, I tend to take a watershed approach in most of my work, focusing on watershed health, the role of forests and grasslands in providing safe clean water, and the effects of climate change on water supply and demand.
- University of Wyoming, Ph.D. Natural Resource Economics 2008
- University of Texas, M.S. Economics 2001
- Louisiana State University, B.S. Economics and Math 1998
Featured Publications & Products
- Warziniack, Travis; Sham, ChiHo; Morgan, Robert; Feferholtz, Yasha. 2017. Effect of forest cover on water treatment costs.
- Warziniack, Travis; Thompson, Matthew. 2013. Wildfire risk and optimal investments in watershed protection.
- Binder, Seth; Haight, Robert G.; Polasky, Stephen; Warziniack, Travis; Mockrin, Miranda H.; Deal, Robert L.; Arthaud, Greg. 2017. Assessment and valuation of forest ecosystem services: State of the science review.
- Lodge, David M.; Simonin, Paul W.; Burgiel, Stanley W.; Keller, Reuben P.; Bossenbroek, Jonathan M.; Jerde, Christopher L.; Kramer, Andrew M.; Rutherford, Edward S.; Barnes, Matthew A.; Wittmann, Marion E.; Chadderton, W. Lindsay; Apriesnig, Jenny L.; Beletsky, Dmitry; Cooke, Roger M.; Drake, John M.; Egan, Scott P.; Finnoff, David C.; Gantz, Crysta A.; Grey, Erin K.; Hoff, Michael H.; Howeth, Jennifer G.; Jensen, Richard A.; Larson, Eric R.; Mandrak, Nicholas E.; Mason, Doran M.; Martinez, Felix A.; Newcomb, Tammy J.; Rothlisberger, John D.; Tucker, Andrew J.; Warziniack, Travis W.; Zhang, Hongyan. 2016. Risk analysis and bioeconomics of invasive species to inform policy and management.
- Prestemon, Jeff; Kruger, Linda; Abt, Karen L.; Bowker, Michael; Brandeis, Consuelo; Calkin, Dave; Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Ham, Charlotte; Holmes, Thomas P.; Kline, Jeffrey; Warziniack, Travis. 2016. Economics and societal considerations of drought.
- Nong, Duy ; Countryman, Amanda M.; Warziniack, Travis ; Grey, Erin K. 2018. Arctic sea routes: Potential new pathways for nonindigenous species spread.
- Warziniack, Travis W.; Elmer, Matthew J.; Miller, Chris J.; Dante-Wood, S. Karen; Woodall, Christopher W.; Nichols, Michael C.; Domke, Grant M.; Stockmann, Keith D.; Proctor, John G.; Borchers, Allison M. 2018. Effects of climate change on ecosystem services Chapter 13.
- Warziniack, Travis; Lawson, Megan; Dante-Wood, S. Karen. 2018. Effects of climate change on ecosystem services in the Northern Rockies Region Chapter 11.
- Countryman, Amanda M.; Warziniack, Travis; Grey, Erin. 2018. Implications for U.S. trade and nonindigenous species risk resulting from increased economic integration of the Asia-Pacific Region.
- Warziniack, Travis ; Champ, Patricia ; Meldrum, James ; Brenkert-Smith, Hannah ; Barth, Christopher M.; Falk, Lilia C. 2018. Responding to risky neighbors: Testing for spatial spillover effects for defensible space in a fire-prone WUI community.
- Warziniack, Travis; Finnoff, David; Apriesnig, Jenny. 2017. Description of the General Equilibrium Model of Ecosystem Services (GEMES).
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Vose, James; Warziniack, Travis; Holman, Bill. 2017. Forest Ecosystem services: Water resources.
- Meldrum, James R.; Falk, Lilia C.; Gomez, Jamie; Barth, Christopher M.; Brenkert-Smith, Hannah; Warziniack, Travis; Champ, Patricia A. 2017. Living with wildfire in Telluride Fire Protection District, Colorado.
- Warziniack, Travis; Sham, Chi Ho; Morgan, Robert; Feferholtz, Yasha. 2016. Effects of forest cover on drinking water treatment costs.
- Meldrum, James R.; Barth, Christopher, M..; Colter Falk, Lilia; Brenkert-Smith, Hannah; Warziniack, Travis; Champ, Patricia A. 2015. Living with wildfire in Delta County, Colorado: cross-community comparisons.
- Meldrum, James R.; Champ, Patricia A.; Brenkert-Smith, Hannah; Warziniack, Travis; Barth, Christopher M.; Falk, Lilia C. 2015. Understanding gaps between the risk perceptions of wildland-urban interface (WUI) residents and wildfire professionals.
- Warziniack, Travis. 2014. A general equilibrium model of ecosystem services in a river basin.
- Meldrum, James R.; Champ, Patricia A.; Warziniack, Travis; Brenkert-Smith, Hannah; Barth, Christopher M.; Falk, Lilia C. 2014. Cost shared wildfire risk mitigation in Log Hill Mesa, Colorado: Survey evidence on participation and willingness to pay.
- Meldrum, James R.; Barth, Christopher M.; Falk, Lilia Colter; Brenkert-Smith, Hannah; Warziniack, Travis; Champ, Patricia. 2013. Living with wildfire in Log Hill Mesa, Colorado.
- Warziniack, Travis W.; Finnoff, David; Shogren, Jason F. 2013. Public economics of hitchhiking species and tourism-based risk to ecosystem services.
- Warziniack, Travis W. 2012. Degradation and damages from utilizing ecosystem services in a river basin.
- Warziniack, Travis; Finnoff, David; Bossenbroek, Jonathan; Shogren, Jason F.; Lodge, David. 2011. Stepping stones for biological invasion: A bioeconomic model of transferable risk.
- Warziniack, Travis; Shogren, Jason F.; Parkhurst, Gregory. 2007. Creating contiguous forest habitat: An experimental examination on incentives and communication.
|Effect of forest cover on water treatment costs|
Intact forests preserve water quality in our lakes and streams, providing cost savings for municipal water providers. American water utilities s ...