Thomas P. Holmes
Forestry Sciences Laboratory, P.O. Box 12254
Research Triangle Park
Contact Thomas P. Holmes
My overall research goal is to describe how healthy forests contribute to individual and societal well-being over the long run. Much of my current research is focused on understanding how non-market valuation methods can be used to quantify a broad suite of forest ecosystem service values. I'm also currently researching topics in wilderness economics, behavioral economics, invasive species, climate change, wildfire risk, and conservation policy.
- University of Connecticut, Ph.D. Agricultural and Resource Economics 1986
- Research Forester, Southern Research Station, USDA Forest Service
1988 - Current
- Economist, Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture
1986 - 1987
Awards & Recognition
- Sören Wibe Award , 2012
Awarded by the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences for best journal article published in the Journal of Forest Economics during the previous 2 years.
- Southern Research Station: Director's Team Award for Natural Resource Stewardship, 2008
In recognition of contributions made by publishing the book “The Economics of Forest Disturbances – Wildfires, Storms, and Invasive Species".
Featured Publications & Products
- Moore, Christopher C.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Bell, Kathleen P. 2011. An attribute-based approach to contingent valuation of forest protection programs.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Murphy, Elizabeth A.; Bell, Kathleen P.; Royle, Denise D. 2010. Property value impacts of hemlock woolly adelgid in residential forests.
- Humphries, Shoana; Holmes, Thomas P.; Kainer, Karen; Koury, Carlos Gabriel Goncalves; Cruz, Edson; Rocha, Rosana de Miranda. 2012. Are community-based forest enterprises in the tropics financially viable Case studies from the Brazilian Amazon.
- Pye, John M.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Wear, David N. 2011. Economic Impacts of the Southern Pine Beetle.
- Kovacs, Kent; Holmes, Thomas P; Englin, Jeffrey E; Alexander, Janice. 2011. The dynamic response of housing values to a forest invasive disease: evidence from a sudden oak death infestation.
- Holmes , Tom; Gonzalez-Caban, Armando; Loomis, John ; Sanchez, Jose. 2013. The effect of personal experience on choice-based preferences for wildfire protection programs.
- Sánchez, José J.; Loomis, John ; González-Cabán, Armando ; Holmes, Tom . 2019. A comparison of wildland urban interface households WTP for wildfire risk reduction programs in California and Florida.
- Holmes, Thomas P; Adamawicz, Wiktor L; Carlsson, Fredrik. 2017. Choice experiments.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Vose, James; Warziniack, Travis; Holman, Bill. 2017. Forest Ecosystem services: Water resources.
- Moeltner, Klaus; Blinn, Christine E.; Holmes, Thomas P. 2017. Forest pests and home values: The importance of accuracy in damage assessment and geocoding of properties.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Allen, Will; G. Haight, Robert; Keskitalo, E. Carina H.; Marzano, Mariella; Pettersson, Maria; P. Quine, Christopher; Langer, E. R. 2017. Fundamental economic irreversibilities influence policies for enhancing international forest phytosanitary security.
- Hjerpe, Evan; Holmes, Tom; White, Eric. 2017. National and community market contributions of Wilderness.
- Marzano, Mariella ; Allen, W. ; Haight, R.G.; Holmes, T.P.; Keskitalo, E. Carina H.; Langer, E.R. Lisa; Shadbolt, M. ; Urquhart, J. ; Dandy, N. . 2017. The role of the social sciences and economics in understanding and informing tree biosecurity policy and planning: a global summary and synthesis.
- Sills, Erin O.; Moore, Susan E.; Cubbage, Frederick W.; McCarter, Kelley D.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Mercer, D. Evan, editors. 2017. Trees at work: economic accounting for forest ecosystem services in the U.S.South.
- Hyde, Kevin; Peckham, Scott; Holmes, Tom; Ewers, Brent. 2016. Bark beetle-induced forest mortality in the North American Rocky Mountains.
- Holmes, Tom; Sills, Erin O. 2016. Bioeconomic Approaches to Sustainable Management of Natural Tropical Forests.
- Humphries, S.; Holmes, Tom. 2016. Financial analysis of community-based forest enterprises with the Green Value tool.
- Holmes, Tom. 2016. Financial and Economic Analysis of Reduced Impact Logging.
- Cohen, Jed; Blinn, Christine E.; Boyle, Kevin J.; Holmes, Tom; Moeltner, Klaus. 2016. Hedonic valuation with translating amenities: Mountain Pine Beetles and host trees in the Colorado Front Range.
- Lovett, Gary M.; Weiss, Marissa; Liebhold, Andrew M.; Holmes, Tom; Leung, Brian; Lambert, Kathy-Fallon; Orwig, David A.; Campbell, Faith T.; Rosenthal, Jonathan; McCullough, Deborah G.; Wildova, Radka; Ayres, Matthew P.; Canham, Charles D.; Foster, David R.; LaDeau, Shannon L.; Weldy, Troy. 2016. Nonnative forest insects and pathogens in the United States: impacts and policy options.
- Siriwardena, Shyamani; Boyle, Kevin; Holmes, Tom; Wiseman, P. Eric. 2016. The implicit value of tree cover in the U.S.: A meta-analysis of hedonic property value studies.
- Holmes, Tom; Bowker, Michael; Englin, Jeffrey; Hjerpe, Evan; Loomis, John B.; Phillips, Spencer; Richardson, Robert. 2015. A Synthesis of the Economic Values of Wilderness.
- Weed, Aaron S.; Bentz, Barbara J.; Ayres, Matthew P.; Holmes, Thomas P. 2015. Geographically variable response of Dendroctonus ponderosae to winter warming in the western United States.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; McNulty, Steve; Vose, James M.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Li, Harbin. 2014. A conceptual framework for adaptive forest management under climate change.
- Holmes, Tomas P.; Aukema, Julian; Englin, Jeffrey; Haight, Robert G.; Kovacs, Kent; Leung, Brian. 2014. Economic Analysis of Biological Invasions in Forests.
- Liu, Yongqiang; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Goodrick, Scott L.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Stanturf, John A.; Vose, James M.; Sun, Ge. 2014. Future wildfire trends, impacts, and mitigation options in the Southern United States.
- Li, Xiaoshu; Preisser, Evan L.; Boyle, Kevin J.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Liebhold, Andrew; Orwig, David. 2014. Potential social and economic impacts of the hemlock woolly adelgid in southern New England.
- González-Cabán, Armando; Holmes, Thomas P.; Loomis, John B.; Sánchez, José J. 2013. Does personal experience affect choice-based preferences for wildfire protection programs.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Calkin, David E. 2013. Econometric analysis of fire suppression production functions for large wildland fires.
- D'Andrea, M.; Fiorucci, P.; Holmes, T.P. 2011. A stochastic forest fire model for future land cover scenarios assessment.
- Westerling, A.L.; Bryant, B.P.; Preisler, H.K.; Holmes, T.P.; Hildalgo, H.G.; Das, T.; Shrestha, S.R. 2011. Climate change and growth scenarios for California wildfire.
- Englin, Joseph; Pang, Arwin; Holmes, Thomas. 2011. Efficiency versus bias: the role of distributional parameters in count contingent behaviour models.
- Cooley, David M; Galik, Chrsitopher S; Holmes, Thomas P; Kousky, Carolyn ; Cooke, Roger M. 2011. Managing dependencies in forest offset projects: toward a more complete evaluation of reversal risk.
- Preisler, Haiganoush; Westerling, Anthony L.; Gebert, Krista M.; Munoz-Arriola, Francisco; Holmes, Thomas P. 2011. Spatially explicit forecasts of large wildland fire probability and suppression costs for California.
- Calkin, Dave; Phipps, John; Holmes, Tom; Rieck, Jon; Thompson, Matt. 2011. The Exposure Index: Developing firefighter safety performance measures.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Loomis, John; Gonzalez-Caban, Armando. 2010. A Mixed Logit Model of Homeowner Preferences for Wildfire Hazard Reduction.
- Volinskiy, Dmitriy; Bergstrom, John C; Cornwell, Christopher M; Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. A pseudo-sequential choice model for valuing multi-attribute environmental policies or programs in contingent valuation applications.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Liebhold, Andrew M.; Kovacs, Kent F.; Von Holle, Betsy. 2010. A spatial-dynamic value transfer model of economic losses from a biological invasion.
- Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. Confronting challenges to economic analysis of biological invasions in forests.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. Economic impacts of hurricanes on forest owners.
- Lentini, Marco W; Zweede, Johan C; Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. Measuring ecological impacts from logging in natural forests of the eastern Amazonia as a tool to assess forest degradation.
- Holmes, Thomas P; Englin, Jeffrey E. 2010. Preference heterogeneity in a count data model of demand for off-highway vehicle recreation.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P; Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. The role of the Forest Service in the economics of invasive species research.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Aukema, Juliann E.; Von Holle, Betsy; Liebhold, Andrew; Sills, Erin. 2009. Economic impacts of invasive species in forest past, present, and future.
- Kovacs, Kent; Englin, Jeffrey; Holmes, Thomas; Alexander, Janice. 2009. The SOD facts of life: property value losses from sudden oak death in Marin County.
- Holmes, Tom; Smith, Bill. 2008. Linking sudden oak death with spatial economic value transfer.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Abt, Karen L.; Huggett, Robert, Jr..; Prestemon, Jeffrey P. 2007. Efficient and Equitable Design of Wildfire Mitigation Programs.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M.; Holmes, Thomas P. 2004. Temporal Aggregation and Testing For Timber Price Behavior.
- Pye, John M.; Wagner, John E.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Cubbage, Frederick W. 1997. Positive Returns from Investment in Fusiform Rust Research.
|Analyzing How to Increase Fireline Production Efficiency|
Operational data on fireline production rates are generally lower than the rates identified by expert panel estimates. This study found the lowe ...
|Economics and Spread of Invasives|
An SRS scientist recently led an interdisciplinary team that proposed new methods for evaluating the economic damages of invasive species on for ...
|Wilderness areas contribute to economic health of rural communities|
Forest Service scientists Tom Holmes and Eric White collaborated with Evan Hjerpe of the Conservation Economics Institute to estimate the econom ...