Teryl G. Grubb
Emeritus Scientist, Wildlife Research
2500 South Pine Knoll
Contact Teryl G. Grubb
Retired January 2015 after 38 years with the WTE Program in Arizona. Presently continuing several long term, bald and golden eagle research collaborations and scientific writing as a volunteer Emeritus Scientist with RMRS. Working with Virginia Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries on a Bird Air Strike Hazard (BASH) project involving radio telemetry of bald eagles; lead contaminant research on eagles, other raptors, and selected marsh birds; and golden eagle telemetry and life history research to determine seasonal movements and critical habitat usage. Completing a 12-year study of winter foraging and scavenging dynamics of bald eagles in northern Arizona. Continuing 25+ year research (University of Maryland, Michigan State University, Voyageurs National Park, and R-9 National Forests) using bald eagles as bio-indicator of Great Lakes environmental contamination and ecosystem health. Nationally recognized consultant on eagle management, with a special expertise on evaluating potential impacts and management considerations of anthropogenic noise. Charter member of the Forest Service's National Tree Climbing Program Technical Advisory Group (TAG), continues as a senior Certified Instructor and Facilitator, specializing in eagle nest entry.
- University of Washington, Masters Wildlife Ecology 1976
- Colorado State University, Bachelors Wildlife Management 1968
- Nongame Wildlife Biologist, Washington Department of Game
1976 - 1977
- Lieutenant, Platoon Cmdr, U.S. Navy, UDT/SEAL
1969 - 1973
- Seasonal Wildlife Aide, Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge
1967 - 1968
Featured Publications & Products
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Delaney, David K.; Bowerman, William W.; Wierda, Michael R. 2010. Golden eagle indifference to heli-skiing and military helicopters in northern Utah.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Bowerman, William W.; Bath, Allen J.; Giesy, John P.; Weseloh, D. V. Chip. 2003. Evaluating Great Lakes bald eagle nesting habitat with Bayesian inference.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Lopez, Roy G.; Ellis, Martha M. 2018. Winter scavenging of ungulate carrion by bald eagles, common ravens, and coyotes in northern Arizona.
- Millsap, Brian A.; Grubb, Teryl G.; Murphy, Robert K.; Swem, Ted; Watson, James W. 2015. Conservation significance of alternative nests of golden eagles.
- Berdeen, Jerry; Chamberlain, Burnham; Grubb, Teryl; Henderson, Art; Mayo, Brock; Mielke, Manfred; Purcell, Kathryn; Ringnes, Dennis; Roberts, Marc; Stubbs, Donna; Thorning, Micah. 2015. National Tree Climbing Guide 2015 Electronic Edition.
- Pittman, H. Tyler; Bowerman, William W.; Grim, Leland H.; Grubb, Teryl G.; Bridges, William C.; Wierda, Michael R. 2015. Using nestling plasma to assess long-term spatial and temporal concentrations of organochlorine compounds in bald eagles within Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota, USA.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Pater, Larry L.; Gatto, Angela E.; Delaney, David K. 2013. Response of nesting northern goshawks to logging truck noise in northern Arizona.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Gatto, Angela E.; Pater, Larry L.; Delaney, David K. 2012. Response of nesting northern goshawks to logging truck noise: Kaibab National Forest, Arizona.
- Pittman, H. T.; Bowerman, W. W.; Grim, L. H.; Grubb, Teryl; Bridges, W. C. 2011. Using nestling feathers to assess spatial and temporal concentrations of mercury in bald eagles at Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota, USA.
- Leith, Katherine F.; Bowerman, William W.; Wierda, Michael R.; Best, Dave A.; Grubb, Teryl G.; Sikarske, James G. 2010. A comparison of techniques for assessing central tendency in left-censored data using PCB and p,p'DDE contaminant concentrations from Michigan's bald eagle biosentinel program.
- Grubb, Teryl G. 2010. Bald eagle, United States chapter 7.
- Pater, Larry L.; Grubb, Teryl G.; Delaney, David K. 2009. Recommendations for improved assessment of noise impacts on wildlife.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Delaney, David K.; Bowerman, William W. 2007. Investigating potential effects of heli-skiing on golden eagles in the Wasatch Mountains, Utah.
- Gatto, Angela E.; Grubb, Teryl G.; Chambers, Carol L. 2006. Red-tailed hawk dietary overlap with northern goshawks on the Kaibab Plateau, AZ.
- Bowerman, William W.; Grubb, Teryl G.; Bath, Allen J.; Giesy, John P.; Weseloh, D.V. Chip. 2005. A survey of potential bald eagle nesting habitat along the Great Lakes shoreline.
- Grubb, Teryl. 2004. Case study: Evolving research into effects of recreational activity on wildlife.
- La Sorte, Frank A.; Mannan, R. William; Reynolds, Richard T.; Grubb, Teryl G. 2004. Habitat associations of sympatric red-tailed hawks and northern goshawks on the Kaibab Plateau.
- Grubb, Teryl G. 2003. Wintering bald eagle trends in northern Arizona, 1975-2000.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Lopez, Roy G. 2000. Food habits of bald eagles wintering in northern Arizona.
- Delaney, David K.; Grubb, Teryl G.; Beier, Paul. 1999. Activity patterns of nesting Mexican Spotted Owls.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Pater, Larry L.; Delaney, David K. 1998. Logging truck noise near nesting northern goshawks.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Lopez, Roy G. 1997. Ice fishing by wintering Bald Eagles in Arizona.
- Grubb, T. G. 1995. Constructing bald eagle nests with natural materials.
- Grubb, Teryl G. 1995. Food habits of Bald Eagles breeding in the Arizona desert.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Forbis, Larry A.; McWhorter, Marta; Sherman, David R. 1988. Adaptive perch selection as a mechanism of adoption by a replacement Bald Eagle.
- Grubb, T. G.; Eakle, W. L. 1988. Recording wildlife locations with the Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) grid system.
- Grubb, Teryl G.; Coffey, Michael A. 1982. Evidence of Bald Eagles feeding on freshwater mussels.
- Grubb, Teryl G. 1976. Nesting bald eagles attack researcher.