Thomas A. Black
322 East Front Street, Suite 401
Contact Thomas A. Black
Current ResearchInvestigating how road systems interact with and impact stream networks.
Please see below for more information on the following:
- Geomorphic Road Analysis and Inventory Package (GRAIP) Briefing Paper
- The Geomorphic Road Assessment and Inventory Package (GRAIP) Website
- Measuring Water and Sediment Discharge - Science Briefing
- Tools to Model Road Impacts - Science Briefing
- Road Decommissioning: Picking the Right Road
Effects of disturbance on natural systems, erosion, slope stability, hillslope and watershed hydrology, forest road sediment and water issues, soil genesis, climatic and environmental change.
Selected Watershed Studies:
- University of Colorado, M.A. Geography 1990
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A. Geography 1988
- American Geophysical Union, Affiliate Member (1995 - Current)
Featured Publications & Products
- Black, Thomas A.; Luce, Charles H. 2013. Measuring water and sediment discharge from a road plot with a settling basin and tipping bucket.
- Black, Thomas A.; Cissel, Richard M.; Luce, Charles H. 2012. The Geomorphic Road Analysis and Inventory Package (GRAIP) Volume 1: Data Collection Method.
- Cissel, Richard M.; Black, Thomas A.; Schreuders, Kimberly A. T.; Prasad, Ajay; Luce, Charles H.; Tarboton, David G.; Nelson, Nathan A. 2012. The Geomorphic Road Analysis and Inventory Package (GRAIP) Volume 2: Office Procedures.
- Eiriksson, David; Whitson, Michael; Luce, Charles H.; Marshall, Hans Peter; Bradford, John; Benner, Shawn G.; Black, Thomas; Hetrick, Hank; McNamara, James P. 2013. An evaluation of the hydrologic relevance of lateral flow in snow at hillslope and catchment scales.
- Cooke, Brian; Luce, Charlie; Black, Tom; Tarboton, David. 2016. Road scholars for the western states: Protecting natural areas by improving road management research.
- Prasad, Ajay; Tarboton, David G.; Luce, Charles H.; Black, Thomas A. 2005. A GIS tool to analyze forest road sediment production and stream impacts.
- Luce, Charles H.; Black, Thomas A. 2001. Effects of traffic and ditch maintenance on forest road sediment production.
- Luce, Charles H.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Dunham, Jason B.; Clayton, James L.; King, John G.; Black, Thomas A. 2001. Incorporating aquatic ecology into decisions on prioritization of road decommissioning.
- Luce, Charles H.; Black, Thomas A. 2001. Spatial and temporal patterns in erosion from forest roads.