Sparkle L. Malone
240 West Prospect Road
Contact Sparkle L. Malone
Carbon Dynamics in the Florida Everglades
How Will Climate Change Alter the Distribution of Rocky Mountain Bristlecone Pine
Post Fire Regeneration in Ponderosa Pine Forest
Forest Recovery Following Stand Replacing Fire
Drought Resistance Across Californa Ecosystems
I use eddy covariance, remote sensing, GIS, and simulation models to address ecological questions and to integrate ecosystem processes across time and space. Studying the effects of climate and disturbances on ecosystem structure and function, I utilize different scales (plot, ecosystem, landscape), approaches (static chamber, eddy covariance, simulation modeling), and analysis techniques (linear, non-linear, and time series modeling) to improve our understanding of ecosystem responses to global change processes.
Why This Research is Important
Faced with managing complex ecosystems in a changing environment, it is important that we gain a better understanding of how both climate and disturbance drives ecosystem processes on multiple scales and determine how projected climate change and management practices might alter ecosystem structure and function.
- University of Alabama, Ph.D. Eocology 2014
- University of Florida, M.S. Forest Resources and Conservation 2010
- University of Florida, B.S. Forest Resources and Conservation 2009
- Student Trainee (Ecologist), RMRS
2011 - 2014
- Student Intern (SCEP), USFS Region 8
2006 - 2006
- Short, Frederick T.; Kosten, Sarian; Morgan, Pamela A.; Malone, Sparkle L; Moore, Gregg E. 2016. Impacts Of Climate Change On Submerged And Emergent Wetland Plants.
- Malone, Sparkle L; Starr, Gregory; Staudhammer, Christina L.; Ryan, Michael G. 2013. Effects Of Simulated Drought On The Carbon Balance Of Everglades Short-Hydroperiod Marsh.
- Szantoi, Zoltan; Malone, Sparkle L; Escobedo, Francisco; Misas, Orlando; Smith, Scot; Dewitt, Bon. 2012. A Tool For Rapid Post-Hurricane Urban Tree Debris Estimates Using High Resolution Aerial Imagery.
- Jimenez, K. L.; Starr, G.; Staudhammer, C. L.; Schedlbauer, J. L.; Loescher, H. W.; Malone, Sparkle L; Oberbauer, S. F. 2012. Carbon Dioxide Exchange Rates From Short- And Long-Hydroperiod Everglades Freshwater Marsh.
- Gaither, Cassandra Johnson; Poudyal, Neelam C.; Goodrick, Scott; Bowker, J. M.; Malone, Sparkle L; Gan, Jianbang. 2011. Wildland Fire Risk And Social Vulnerability In The Southeastern United States: An Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis Approach.