Stanley G. Kitchen
735 North 500 East
Contact Stanley G. Kitchen
Dr Kitchen conducts research on historical and current disturbance processes and their effects on shrubland, woodland, and forest ecosystems of the Intermountain Region (USA). Studies include:1) multi-century reconstructions of fire regimes and forest structures using tree-ring-based methods; 2) post-fire succession of mountain sagebrush communities; 3) Great Basin bristlecone pine climate and wildfire vulnerability assessment and 4) long-term effects of livestock grazing practices, invasive weeds and climate variability on grassland and shrubland ecosystem stability. Other work includes investigations of intra-specific variation in life-history attributes for widely-adapted grass, forb and shrub species from the Intermountain West. Attributes of interest include: reproductive potential, mechanisms for regulating seed dormancy and germination, requirements for seedling establishment and plant longevity. Dr Kitchen collaborates in the development and testing of native plants germplasm for use in restoration plantings.
Interests are to use knowledge of past disturbance patterns and vegetation dynamics and their interactions to inform the development of present and future wildland management strategies; improve understanding of interactions between cronic disturbance processes (such as livestock grazing), invasive weeds and climate variability and change; and provide tools (including plant materials) for restoring functional, resilient plant communities.
Dr Kitchen has explored within-species variation in seed dormancy and germination regulation for serveral widely-adapted perennial forb, grass and shrub species. He co-led a program to develop standardized protocols for testing seed purity, viability and germinability for numerous species important for wildland restoration plantings. His work contributed substantially to the development and release of the cultivars 'Anatone' bluebunch wheatgrass and 'Maple Grove' Lewis flax which are widely used in restoration plantings.
Why This Research is Important
Successful management and restoration strategies require a thorough understanding of natural disturbance processes and their effects on vegetation. Long-term fire histories provide a means to describe and quantify variation in fire regimes from past eras at various scales and to assess the ecological effects of current departures from historical conditions. For management and restoration strategies to be successful in the future, improved understanding is needed of the interactions of altered patterns of disturbance, invasive species and climate change.
- Utah State University, B.S. Secondary Ed/Biology 1980
- Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, M.S. Horticulture 1988
- Brigham Young University Provo, Utah, Ph.D. Wildlife and Wildland Conservation 2010
Featured Publications & Products
- Campos, Guillermo E. Ponce; Moran, M. Susan; Huete, Alfredo; Zhang, Yongguang; Bresloff, Cynthia; Huxman, Travis E.; Eamus, Derek; Bosch, David D.; Buda, Anthony R.; Gunter, Stacey A.; Scalley, Tamara Heartsill; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McClaran, Mitchel P.; McNab, W. Henry; Montoya, Diane S.; Morgan, Jack A.; Peters, Debra P. C.; Sadler, E. John; Seyfried, Mark S.; Starks, Patrick J. 2013. Ecosystem resilience despite large-scale altered hydroclimatic conditions.
- Moran, M. Susan; Ponce-Campos, Guillermo E.; Huete, Alfredo; McClaran, Mitchel P.; Zhang, Yongguang; Hamerlynck, Erik P.; Augustine, David J.; Gunter, Stacey A.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Peters, Debra P. C.; Starks, Patrick J.; Hernandez, Mariano. 2014. Functional response of U.S. grasslands to the early 21st-century drought.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2012. Historical fire regime and forest variability on two eastern Great Basin fire-sheds (USA).
- Brown, Peter M.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Weber, Marc H. 2008. Climate effects on historical fires (1630-1900) in Utah.
- Nelson, Zachary J.; Weisberg, Peter J.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2014. Influence of climate and environment on post-fire recovery of mountain big sagebrush.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2014. Learning to live with cheatgrass: Giving up or a necessary paradigm shift.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Brown, Peter M.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Weber, Marc H. 2011. Multicentury fire and forest histories at 19 sites in Utah and eastern Nevada.
- Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Mudge, Joann; McArthur, E. Durant. 2008. Origin of the flax cultivar 'Appar' and its position within the Linum perenne complex.
- Burchfield, David R.; Petersen, Steven L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Jensen, Ryan R. 2020. sUAS-based remote sensing in mountainous areas: Benefits, challenges, and best practices.
- Molinari, Rebecca Lee; Bishop, Tara B. B.; Bekker, Matthew F.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Allphin, Loreen ; St. Clair, Samuel B. 2019. Creosote growth rate and reproduction increase in postfire environments.
- Miller, Sue ; Kitchen, Stan ; Kling, Jason ; Guyon, John . 2019. Everyone in: A road map for science-based, collaborative restoration of western quaking aspen.
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Behrens, Patrick N.; Goodrich, Sherel K.; Green, Ashley ; Guyon, John ; O’Brien, Mary ; Tart, David . 2019. Guidelines for aspen restoration in Utah with applicability to the Intermountain West.
- Landeen, Melissa L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Allphin, Loreen ; Petersen, Steven L. 2019. Nondestructive age estimation of mountain big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata ssp. vaseyana) using morphological characteristics.
- Evans, Lance S.; Kharran, Tiffany A.; Pena, Ismael ; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2019. Quantification of eccentricity in stems of Artemisia tridentata Nutt.
- Padgett, Wayne G.; Reeves, Matthew C.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Tart, David L.; Chambers, Jeanne C.; Howell, Cheri; Manning, Mary E.; Proctor, John G. 2018. Effects of climate change on nonforest vegetation Chapter 7.
- Pineda, Noellyn; Owen, Marjorie; Tucker, Claire; Wojda, Samantha; Kitchen, Stanley; Black, Hal; Donahue, Seth. 2017. Hibernating little pocket mice show few seasonal changes in bone properties.
- Landeen, Melissa L.; Allphin, Loreen; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Petersen, Steven L. 2017. Seed production estimation for mountain big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata ssp. vaseyana).
- Balzotti, Christopher S.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McCarthy, Clinton. 2016. Beyond the single species climate envelope: A multifaceted approach to mapping climate change vulnerability.
- Finch, D. M.; Boyce, D. A.; Chambers, J. C.; Colt, C. J.; Dumroese, K.; Kitchen, S. G.; McCarthy, C.; Meyer, S. E.; Richardson, B. A.; Rowland, M. M.; Rumble, M. A.; Schwartz, M. K.; Tomosy, M. S.; Wisdom, M. J. 2016. Conservation and restoration of sagebrush ecosystems and sage-grouse: An assessment of USDA Forest Service Science.
- Kaufmann, Merrill R.; Huisjen, Daniel W.; Kitchen, Stanley; Babler, Mike; Abella, Scott R.; Gardiner, Todd S.; McAvoy, Darren; Howie, Josh; Page, Douglas H., Jr. 2016. Gambel oak ecology and management in the southern Rockies: The status of our knowledge.
- Finch, Deborah M.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Reeves, Matt C.; Ott, Jeffrey E.; Kilkenny, Francis F.; Butler, Jack L.; Ott, Jacqueline P.; Pinto, Jeremy R.; Ford, Paulette L.; Runyon, Justin B.; Rumble, Mark A.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2016. Rangeland drought: Effects, restoration, and adaptation Chap. 8.
- Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Pendleton, Burton K.; Meyer, Susan E.; Richardson, Bryce; Esque, Todd; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2015. Blackbrush (Coleogyne ramosissima Torr.): State of our knowledge and future challenges Chapter 10.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2015. Climate and human influences on historical fire regimes (AD 1400-1900) in the eastern Great Basin (USA).
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Meyer, Susan E.; Carlson, Stephanie L. 2015. Mechanisms for maintenance of dominance in a nonclonal desert shrub.
- Finch, Deborah; Boyce, Douglas; Chambers, Jeanne; Colt, Chris; McCarthy, Clint; Kitchen, Stanley; Richardson, Bryce; Rowland, Mary; Rumble, Mark; Schwartz, Michael; Tomosy, Monica; Wisdom, Michael. 2015. USDA Forest Service Sage-Grouse Conservation Science Strategy.
- Richardson, Bryce A.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Pendleton, Burton K.; Germino, Matthew J.; Rehfeldt, Gerald E.; Meyer, Susan E. 2014. Adaptive responses reveal contemporary and future ecotypes in a desert shrub.
- Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Cibils, Andres F. 2014. Humans in changing shrubland ecosystems.
- McArthur, E. Durant; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2013. Desert Experimental Range: Annotated bibliography.
- Zhang, Yongguang; Moran, M. Susan; Nearing, Mark A.; Campos, Guillermo E. Ponce; Huete, Alfredo R.; Buda, Anthony R.; Bosch, David D.; Gunter, Stacey A.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McNab, W. Henry; Morgan, Jack A.; McClaran, Mitchel P.; Montoya, Diane S.; Peters, Debra P.C.; Starks, Patrick J. 2013. Extreme precipitation patterns and reductions of terrestrial ecosystem production across biomes.
- McArthur, E. Durant; Richardson, Bryce A.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2013. Great Basin Experimental Range: Annotated bibliography.
- Miller, Sue; Meyer, Susan; Richardson, Bryce; Pendleton, Rosemary; Pendleton, Burton; Kitchen, Stanley. 2013. Upwardly mobile in the western U.S. desert: Blackbrush shrublands respond to a changing climate.
- Morris, C.; Morris, L. R.; Leffler, A. J.; Holifield Collins, C. D.; Forman, A. D.; Weltz, M. A.; Kitchen, S. G. 2013. Using long-term datasets to study exotic plant invasions on rangelands in the western United States.
- Friggens, Megan M.; Warwell, Marcus V.; Chambers, Jeanne C.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2012. Modeling and predicting vegetation response of western USA grasslands, shrublands, and deserts to climate change (Chapter 1).
- Graham, John H.; Duda, Jeffrey J.; Brown, Michelle L.; Kitchen, Stanley; Emlen, John M.; Malol, Jagadish; Bankstahl, Elizabeth; Krzysik, Anthony J.; Balbach, Harold; Freeman, D. Carl. 2012. The effects of drought and disturbance on the growth and developmental instability of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.).
- Wambolt, Carl L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Fisina, Michael R.; Sowell, Bok; Keigley, Richard B.; Palacios, Patsy; Robinson, Jill. 2011. Proceedings of the 15th wildland shrub symposium; June 17-19, 2008; Bozeman, MT.
- Monaco, Thomas A.; Schupp, Eugene W.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Palacios, Patsy K. 2011. Proceedings of the 16th Wildland Shrub Symposium: Threats to Shrubland Ecosystem Integrity; 2010 May 18-20 Logan, UT.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2010. An 800-year fire history.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2010. Historic fire regimes of eastern Great Basin (USA) mountains reconstructed from tree rings.
- Wells, Gail; Hayes, Deborah; Krause, Katrina; Bartuska, Ann; LeVan-Green, Susan; Anderson, Jim; Gough, Tivoli; Adams, Mary; Schuler, Thomas; Kolka, Randy; Sebestyen, Steve; Kenefic, Laura; Brissette, John; Stout, Susan; Kanoti, Keith; Swanson, Fred; Greene, Sarah; Herring, Margaret; Ritchie, Martin; Skinner, Carl; Lisle, Tom; Keppeler, Elizabeth; Reid, Leslie; Wohlegemuth, Peter; Kitchen, Stanley; McCaughey, Ward; Guldin, Jim; Bragg, Don; Shelton, Michael; Loftis, David; Greenberg, Cathryn; Murphy, Julia. 2009. Experimental forests and ranges : 100 years of research success stories.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2008. Cercocarpus Kunth: mountain-mahogany.
- Keane, Robert E.; Agee, James K.; Fule, Peter; Keeley, Jon E.; Key, Carl; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Miller, Richard; Schulte, Lisa A. 2008. Ecological effects of large fires on US landscapes: benefit or catastrophe.
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Carlson, Stephanie L. 2008. Great Basin cold desert shrublands and the Desert Experimental Range.
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Monsen, Stephen B. 2008. Kochia Roth: kochia.
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Monaco, Thomas A.; Vernon, Jason, comps. 2008. Proceedings-Shrublands under fire: disturbance and recovery in a changing world; 2006 June 6-8; Cedar City, UT.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2008. Shrublands under fire: Disturbance and recovery in a changing world.
- Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McArthur, E. Durant; Mudge, Joann E. 2008. The 'Appar' flax release: Origin, distinguishing characteristics, and use; and a native alternative.
- Whittaker, Alison; Roundy, Bruce; Chambers, Jeanne; Meyer, Susan; Blank, Robert; Kitchen, Stanley; Korfmacher, John. 2008. The effect of herbaceous species removal, fire and cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum) on soil water availability in sagebrush steppe.
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; McArthur, E. Durant. 2007. Big and black sagebrush landscapes Chapter 5.
- Sosebee, Ronald E.; Wester, David B.; Britton, Carlton M.; McArthur, E. Durant; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2007. Proceedings: Shrubland dynamics -- fire and water.
- McArthur, E. Durant; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2007. Shrubland ecosystems: Importance, distinguishing characteristics, and dynamics.
- Monsen, Stephen B.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Memmott, Kelly; Shaw, Nancy; Pellant, Mike; Young, Stanford; Ogle, Dan; St. John, Loren. 2003. Notice to release Anatone germplasm bluebunch wheatgrass (selected class natural population).
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Jorgensen, Gary L. 2001. Winterfat decline and halogeton spread in the Great Basin.
- McArthur, E. Durant; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Uresk, Daniel W.; Mitchell, J. E. 2000. Applicability of Montreal Process Criterion 2: Productive capacity--to rangeland sustainability.
- Monsen, Stephen B.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 1994. Proceedings - Ecology and management of annual rangelands.
|Climate Regulates Mountain big Sagebrush Recovery After Fire|
Wildland fire plays a key role in shaping natural communities on semi-arid landscapes around the world. The composition and structure of plant c ...
|Detecting Ecosystem Stress at the Desert Experimental Range|
The Desert Experimental Range became an outdoor laboratory representative of a prominent ecosystem under stress with expectations that the rese ...
|Test-driving a Roadmap for Quaking Aspen Restoration |
Western aspen decline during the last century has been attributed to several causes including altered wildfire regimes, drought, excessive use b ...