Susan Stevens Hummel
Note: this person is no longer a Forest Service Research & Development employee.
Featured Publications & Products
- Hummel, S.; Lake, F.K. 2015. Forest site classification for cultural plant harvest by tribal weavers can inform management.
- Hummel, Susan; Hudak, A. T.; Uebler, E. H.; Falkowski, M. J.; Megown, K. A. 2011. A comparison of accuracy and cost of LiDAR versus stand exam data for landscape management on the Malheur National Forest.
- Hummel, Susan; Kennedy, Maureen; Steel, E. Ashley. 2012. Assessing forest vegetation and fire simulation model performance after the Cold Springs wildfire, Washington USA.
- Fischer, A. Paige; Vance-Borland, Ken; Burnett, Kelly M.; Hummel, Susan; Creighton, Janean H.; Johnson, Sherri L.; Jasny, Lorien. 2014. Does the social capital in networks of fish and fire scientists and managers suggest learning.
- Gärtner, S.; Reynolds, K.M.; Hessburg, P.F.; Hummel, S.S.; Twery, M. 2008. Decision support for evaluating landscape departure and prioritizing forest management activities in a changing environment.
- Ticktin, Tamara ; Kindscher, Kelly ; Souther, Sara ; Weisberg, ; Peter, ; Chamberlain, James L.; Hummel, Susan ; Mitchell, Christine ; Sanders, Suzanne . 2018. Chapter 3 - Ecological dimensions of nontimber forest product harvest.
- Elias, Marlène; Hummel, Susan S; Basnett, Bimbika S; Colfer, Carol J.P. 2017. Gender bias affects forests worldwide.
- Dobkins, Rebecca ; Hummel, Susan; Lewis, Ceara; Pochis, Grace; Dickey, Emily. 2017. Tribes of the Oregon country: Cultural plant harvests and indigenous relationships with ancestral lands in the twenty-first century.
- Dobkins, Rebecca; Lewis, Ceara; Hummel, Susan; Dickey, Emily. 2016. Cultural plant harvests on federal lands: perspectives from members of the Northwest Native American Basketweavers Association.
- Hummel, Susan Stevens. 2016. E. N. Anderson: Caring for place: ecology, ideology, and emotion in traditional landscape management.
- Dykstra, Dennis P.; Lebow, Patricia K.; Pilkerton, Stephen; Barbour, Jamie; Hummel, Susan; Johnston, Stuart R. 2016. Effect of habitat-improvement thinnings on lumber products from coastal Douglas-fir.
- Hummel, S.; Lake, Frank; Watts, A. 2015. Using forest knowledge: how silviculture can benefit from ecological knowledge systems about beargrass harvesting sites.
- Gagliasso, Donald; Hummel, Susan; Temesgen, Hailemariam. 2014. A comparison of selected parametric and non-parametric imputation methods for estimating forest biomass and basal area.
- Hummel, Susan; Meznarich, Paul. 2014. Back to the future: assessing accuracy and sensitivity of a forest growth model.
- Jones, Greg; Loeffler, Dan; Butler, Edward; Hummel, Susan; Chung, Woodam. 2013. The financial feasibility of delivering forest treatment residues to bioenergy facilities over a range of diesel fuel and delivered biomass prices.
- Hummel, Susan; Foltz-Jordan, Sarah; Polasky, Sophia. 2012. Natural and cultural history of beargrass (Xerophyllum tenax).
- Hanewinkel, Marc; Hummel, Susan; Albrecht, Axel. 2011. Assessing natural hazards in forestry for risk management: a review.
- Hanewinkel, Marc; Hummel, Susan; Cullmann, Dominik. 2010. Modelling and economic evaluation of forest biome shifts under climate change in Southwest Germany.
- Linton, J.M.; Barnes, H.M.; Seale, R.D.; Jones, P.D.; Lowell, E.; Hummel, S.S. 2010. Suitability of live and fire-killed small-diameter ponderosa and lodgepole pine trees for manufacturing a new structural wood composite.
- Hummel, Susan S. 2009. Branch and crown dimensions of Douglas-fir trees harvested from old-growth forests in Washington, Oregon, and California during the 1960s.
- Hummel, Susan; Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Spies, Thomas A.; Hemstrom, Miles A. 2008. Conserving biodiversity using risk management: hoax or hope.
- Calkin, David E.; Hummel, Susan Stevens; Agee, James K. 2005. Modeling trade-offs between fire threat reduction and late-seral forest structure..
- Monserud, Robert A.; Lowell, Eini C.; Becker, Dennis R.; Hummel, Susan Stevens; Donoghue, Ellen M.; Barbour, R. James; Kilborn, Kenneth A.; Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joe; Cantrell, Randall A. 2004. Contemporary wood utilization research needs in the Western United States..
- Parker, Sharon; Hummel, Susan Stevens. 2002. Beyond 2001: a silvicultural odyssey to sustaining terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems Proceedings of the 2001 national silviculture workshop, May 6-10, Hood River, Oregon..
- Hummel, Susan Stevens; Barbour, R. James; Hessburg, Paul F.; Lehmkuhl, John F. 2001. Ecological and financial assessment of late-successional reserve management..
|Beargrass, Long Treasured by Native Americans, Faces Pressure from the Commercial Floral Industry|
Leaf harvest by the floral industry is causing shifts in disturbance within beargrass habitat.
|Gender bias affects forests worldwide|
A new book compiles 30 years of key articles on gender and forests and concludes gender biases persist in forestry research and practice.