Lead Inventory Analyst
620 SW Main, Suite 400
Contact Sharon Stanton
As Team Leader of the Inventory Reporting and Analysis team (IRAM), my primary roles are to oversee the daily work of the research analysis and reporting group, participate in short- and long-term strategic planning, prioritization, and implementation of the regional and national monitoring programs.
Our team seeks to expand our client base and distribute inventory information to build relevance, user capacity, and partnerships. IRAM actively provides feedback, guidance, and design criteria to the local and national FIA program via analysis and interactions with other research groups, land managers, and agency leadership. We work closely with clients and stakeholders to summarize and interpret FIA data in relation to their specific areas of interest.
I am also the PNW lead for the FIA Analyst Band, which works to identify current and emerging resource information needs, developing analytical solutions, new policies, procedures, guidance, or directives, and national program direction related to monitoring and climate change science. Our team is responsible for conducting public relations activities, briefing materials, public outreach, and hosting workshops.
- Forest health indicators
- Inventory and monitoring techniques and analysis
- Urban forest inventory
- Science delivery
- Portland State University, Ph.D. Biology The fire ecology of ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) stands infected with western dwarf mistletoe (Arceuthobium campylopodum). 2007
- Portland State University, M.S. Biology The effects of western dwarf mistletoe on recent radial growth of managed ponderosa pine in eastern Oregon.” 2002
- University of Texas at Austin, B.S. Botany 1999
- Lead FIA Analyst, USDA Forest Service - PNW Research Station
2013 - 2017
Leading the team of FIA state analysts in the Pacific Northwest unit, which includes Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, and six US-affiliated Pacific Islands.
- FIA Analyst - Natural Resource Specialist, USDA Forest Service - PNW Research Station
2011 - 2012
Inventory data analysis, project management, report writing, revisions to manuals and documentation, and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders, especially in Oregon and Washington. I applied technical and analytical skills to develop resource reports at the state and regional scales, summarize complex data sets for reports, briefing papers, and presentations. I also led and participated in national cross-functional task teams to improve inventory and monitoring techniques,and applications and reporting tools.
- Adjunct Faculty - Biogeography, Portland State University
2010 - 2011
Awards & Recognition
- FIA Director's Award, 2018
- PNW Station Director's Award for Science Communication and Delivery, 2017
- Holgerson, Justin; Stanton, Sharon; Waddell, Karen; Palmer, Marin; Kuegler, Olaf; Christensen, Glenn. 2018. Washington S Forest Resources: Forest Inventory And Analysis, 2002 2011.
- Nowak, David J.; Bodine, Allison R.; Hoehn, Robert E.; Edgar, Christopher B.; Riley, Gretchen; Hartel, Dudley R.; Dooley, Kerry J.; Stanton, Sharon M.; Hatfield, Mark A.; Brandeis, Thomas J.; Lister, Tonya W. 2017. Houston S Urban Forest, 2015.
- Bansal, Sheel; Brodie, Leslie; Stanton, Sharon; Waddell, Karen; Palmer, Marin; Christensen, Glenn; Kuegler, Olaf; Chase, John; Thompson, Joel; Jovan, Sarah; Gray, Andrew; Todd, Morgan. 2017. Oregon S Forest Resources, 2001 2010: Ten-Year Forest Inventory And Analysis Report.
- Christensen, Glenn A.; Waddell, Karen L.; Stanton, Sharon M.; Kuegler, Olaf. 2016. California'S Forest Resources: Forest Inventory And Analysis, 2001 2010.
- Stanton, Sharon M.; Christensen, Glenn A. 2016. Pushing Boundaries: New Directions In Inventory Techniques And Applications: Forest Inventory And Analysis (Fia) Symposium 2015.
- Deal, Robert L; Stanton, Sharon; Betts, Matthew; Yang, Zhiqiang. 2015. Early-Seral Stand Age And Forest Structural Changes In Public And Private Forestlands In Western Oregon And Washington.
- Stanton, Sharon M.; Monleon, Vicente J.; Lintz, Heather E.; Thompson, Joel. 2015. Telling The Story Of Tree Species Range Shifts In A Complex Landscape.