Research Aquatic Ecologist
1831 Highway 169 East
Contact Sue Eggert
My research focuses on the effects of change on invertebrate ecology, food webs, organic matter dynamics, and nutrient cycling in freshwater ecosystems, particularly small streams which are most tightly linked to the terrestrial environment. My colleagues and I employ functional measures such as leaf and wood processing rates, secondary production, and diet analyses to assess ecosystem response to a variety of management practices over long time periods and large scales. Our current projects include:
- Linking the complexity of terrestrial leaf inputs with stream ecosystem function
- Examining faunal diversity in peatland watersheds at Marcell Experimental Forest
- Comparing the capacity of forest streams for nutrient uptake in a high and low nitrogen ecosystem
- Quantifying headwater stream food webs in the Salmon Trout River, home to a threatened population of coaster brook trout
- Evaluating impacts of riparian timber harvesting on aquatic organisms and habitat
Why This Research is Important
Water quality and quantity has become a critical issue for a growing population. Properly managed forests provide a variety of goods and services including clean water for people and wildlife. Small streams, tightly linked to forests and the larger river network, are often overlooked components of the landscape. Understanding the functional responses of stream ecosystems to local and global changes are key to better management decisions and the protection, maintenance, or restoration of the ecosystem services they provide.
- University of Georgia, Ph.D. Ecology
- Michigan State University, M.S. Fisheries and Wildlife
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, B.S. Biology
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
- Ecological Society of America
- North American Benthological Society
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Honor Society
- Michigan Entomological Society
Featured Publications & Products
- Davis, John M.; Rosemond, Amy D.; Eggert, Susan L.; Cross, Wyatt F.; Wallace, J. Bruce. 2010. Long-term nutrient enrichment decouples predator and prey production.
- Romito, Angela , M.; Eggert, Susan , L.; Diez, Jeffrey , M.; Wallace, J. , B. 2010. Effects of seasonality and resource limitation on organic matter turnover by Chironomidae (Diptera) in southern Appalachian headwater streams.
- Ardón, Marcelo; Pringle, Catherine M.; Eggert, Susan L. 2009. Does leaf chemistry differentially affect breakdown in tropical vs temperate streams Importance of standardized analytical techniques to measure leaf chemistry.
- Ardon, Marcelo; Pringle, Catherine M.; Eggert, Susan L. 2009. Does leaf chemistry differentially affect breakdown in tropical versus temperate streams Importance of standardized analytical techniques to measure leaf chemistry.
- Wallace, J. Bruce; Eggert, S.L. 2009. Benthic invertebrate fauna, small streams.
- Tsz-Ki Tsui, Martin ; Liu, Songnian ; Brasso, Rebecka L.; Blum, Joel D.; Kwon, Sae Yun; Ulus, Yener ; Nollet, Yabing H.; Balogh, Steven J.; Eggert, Sue L.; Finlay, Jacques C. 2019. Controls of Methylmercury Bioaccumulation in Forest Floor Food Webs.
- Tavshunsky, Ilana ; Eggert, Susan L.; Mitchell, Carl P. J. 2017. Accumulation of Methylmercury in Invertebrates and Masked Shrews (Sorex cinereus) at an Upland Forest Peatland Interface in Northern Minnesota, USA.
- Olson, J. C.; Marcarelli, A. M.; Timm, A.L.; Eggert, S.L.; Kolka, R.K. 2017. Evaluating the Effects of Culvert Designs on Ecosystem Processes in Northern Wisconsin Streams.
- Youngquist, Melissa B.; Eggert, Sue L.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J.; Slesak, Robert A. 2017. Potential effects of foundation species loss on wetland communities: A case study of black ash wetlands threatened by emerald ash borer.
- Timm, A.; Higgins, D.; Stanovick, J.; Kolka, R.; Eggert, S. 2017. Quantifying fish habitat associated with stream simulation design culverts in northern Wisconsin.
- Batzer, Darold ; Wu, Haitao ; Wheeler, Terry ; Eggert, Sue . 2016. Peatland Invertebrates.
- Dolph, Christine L.; Eggert, Susan L.; Magner, Joe ; Ferrington, Leonard C.; Vondracek, Bruce . 2015. Reach-scale stream restoration in agricultural streams of southern Minnesota alters structural and functional responses of macroinvertebrates.
- Marcarelli, Amy M.; Huckins, Casey ; Eggert, Susan L. 2015. Sand aggradation alters biofilm standing crop and metabolism in a low-gradient Lake Superior tributary.
- Wallace, J. Bruce; Eggert, Susan L; Meyer, Judy L.; Webster, Jackson R. 2015. Stream invertebrate productivity linked to forest subsidies: 37 stream-years of reference and experimental data.
- Mazur, M.; Mitchell, C.P.J.; Eckley, C.S.; Eggert, S.L.; Kolka, R.K.; Sebestyen, S.D.; Swain, E.B. 2014. Gaseous mercury fluxes from forest soils in response to forest harvesting intensity: A field manipulation experiment.
- Braccia, A.; Eggert, S.L.; King, N. 2014. Macroinvertebrate colonization dynamics on artificial substrates along an algal resource gradient.
- Coleman Wasik, Jill K.; Mitchell, Carl P.J.; Engstrom, Daniel R.; Swain, Edward B.; Monson, Bruce A.; Balogh, Steven J.; Jeremiason, Jeffrey D.; Branfireun, Brian A.; Eggert, Susan L.; Kolka, Randall K.; Almendinger, James E. 2012. Methylmercury declines in a boreal peatland when experimental sulfate deposition decreases.
- Brooks, Robert T.; Eggert, Susan L.; Nislow, Keith H.; Kolka, Randall K.; Chen, Celia Y.; Ward, Darren M. 2012. Preliminary assessment of mercury accumulation in Massachusetts and Minnesota seasonal forest pools.
- Eggert, Sue L.; Wallace, J. Bruce; Meyer, Judy L.; Webster, Jackson R. 2012. Storage and export of organic matter in a headwater stream: responses to long-term detrital manipulations.
- Stelzer, Robert S.; Drover, Damion R.; Eggert, Susan L.; Muldoon, Maureen A. 2011. Nitrate retention in a sand plains stream and the importance of groundwater discharge.
- Davis, John M.; Rosemond, Amy D.; Eggert, Sue L.; Cross, Wyatt F.; Wallace, J. Bruce. 2010. Nutrient enrichment differentially affects body sizes of primary consumers and predators in a detritus-based stream.
- Merten, Eric; Hemstad, Nathaniel; Eggert, Susan; Johnson, Lucinda; Kolka, Randall; Vondracek, Bruce; Newman, Raymond. 2010. Relations between fish abundances, summer temperatures, and forest harvest in a northern Minnesota stream system from 1997 to 2007.
- Benstead, Jonathan P.; Rosemond, Amy D.; Cross, Wyatt F.; Wallace, J. Bruce; Eggert, Susan L.; Suberkropp, Keller; Gulis, Vladislav; Greenwood, Jennifer L.; Tant, Cynthia J. 2009. Nutrient enrichment alters storage and fluxes of detritus in a headwater stream ecosystem.
- Meyer, Judy L.; Strayer, David L.; Wallace, J. Bruce; Eggert, Sue L.; Helfman, Gene S.; Leonard, Norman E. 2007. The contribution of headwater streams to biodiversity in river networks.
- Entrekin, Sally A.; Wallace, J. Bruce; Eggert, Susan L. 2007. The response of chironomidae (Diptera) to a long-term exclusion of terrestrial organic matter.
- Cross, W.F.; Wallace, J.B.; Rosemond, A.D.; Eggert, S.L. 2006. Whole-system nutrient enrichment increases secondary production in a detritus-based ecosystem.
- Eggert, Susan L.; Wallace, J. Bruce. 2003. Litter breakdown and invertebrate detritivores in a resource-depleted Appalachian stream.
- Eggert, Susan L.; Wallace, J. Bruce. 2003. Reduced detrital resources limit Pycnopsyche gentilis (Trichoptera: Limnephilidae) production and growth.
- Webster, J. R.; Tank, J. L.; Wallace, J. B.; Meyer, J. L.; Eggert, S. L.; Ehrman, T. P.; Ward, B. R.; Bennett, B. L.; Wagner, P. F.; McTammany, M. E. 2000. Effects of litter exclusion and wood removal on phosphorus and nitrogen retention in a forest stream.
- Meyer, J.L.; Hax, C.; Wallace, J.B.; Eggert, S.L.; Webster, J.R. 2000. Terrestrial litter inputs as determinants of food quality of organic matter in a forest stream.
|In Minnesota, Anticipating the Loss of a Million Acres of Ash Forests to Emerald Ash Borer|
Black ash is a foundational species in the wetland forests of the northern Great Lakes region, affecting nearly all aspects of ecosystem functio ...