1133 N Western Ave.
Contact Shannon Claeson
My research focuses on several issues including the effects of man-made large-wood structures on fish, response of stream biota and channel morphology to dam removal and debris flows, and the development of benthic macroinvertebrate communties in streams and ponds created from the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980.
- Riparian and aquatic systems interactions
- Role of aquatic invertebrates in stream and lake systems
- Community ecology, disturbance ecology, food webs, and ecological impact of invasive organisms
My past research has explored the effects of: invasive knotweed management actions on riparian vegetation communties and structure; knotweed leaf decomposition on stream ecology; salmon carcasses and marine-derived-nutrients on stream food webs and productivity; and forest harvesting on temperature, aquatic invertebrates, and riparian mollusk and millipede diversity in and near headwater streams.
- Oregon State University, M.S. Fisheries Science 2004
Featured Publications & Products
- Claeson, Shannon; Coffin, B. 2015. Physical and biological responses to an alternative removal strategy of a moderate-sized dam in Washington, USA..
- Claeson, Shannon M.; LeRoy, Carri J.; Barry, Jacob R.; Kuehn, Kevin A. 2014. Impacts of invasive riparian knotweed on litter decomposition, aquatic fungi, and macroinvertebrates.
- Claeson, Shannon M.; Bisson, Peter A. 2013. Passive reestablishment of riparian vegetation following removal of invasive knotweed (Polygonum).
- Bisson, Peter A.; Claeson, Shannon M.; Wondzell, Steven M.; Foster, Alex D.; Steel, Ashley. 2013. Evaluating headwater stream buffers: lessons learned from watershed scale experiments in southwest Washington.
- Foster, Alex D.; Claeson, Shannon M. 2011. Habitats and seasonality of riparian-associated millipedes in southwest Washington, USA.
- Claeson, Shannon M.; Li, Judith L.; Compton, Jana E.; Bisson, Peter A. 2006. Response of nutrients, biofilm, and benthic insects to salmon carcass addition..
- Foster, Alex D.; Claeson, Shannon M.; Bisson, Peter A.; Heimburg, John . 2020. Aquatic and riparian ecosystem recovery from debris flows in two western Washington streams, USA.
- Polivka, Carlos M.; Claeson, Shannon M. 2020. Beyond redistribution: In stream habitat restoration increases capacity for young of the year Chinook Salmon and steelhead in the Entiat River, Washington.
- LeRoy, Carri J.; Ramstack Hobbs, Joy M.; Claeson, Shannon M.; Moffett, Jordan ; Garthwaite, Iris ; Criss, Nichole ; Walker, Lauren . 2020. Plant sex influences aquatic terrestrial interactions.
- Polivka, Carlos M.; Volking, Rhiannon A.; Claeson, Shannon M.; Hosman, Rachel D. 2019. Scale of monitoring influences interpretation of stream habitat restoration results for juvenile Chinook salmon.
|Herbicide Eradication of Invasive Plants May Release Exotic Invaders|
Noxious weed control programs can benefit from including post-treatment plant community surveys to determine if continued management is needed t ...
|River Conditions Improve with a Modified Dam Removal Strategy in Washington State|
Forest Service scientists used a modified dam-removal strategy on the Hemlock Dam in Washington to successfully minimize downstream sedimentatio ...