4955 Canyon Crest Drive
Contact Shyh-Chin Chen
My work focuses on fire danger prediction, with a goal of mitigating the seasonal wildfires threat posed to lives, properties, and landscapes in California's highly populated and fire-prone regions.
Current projects include:
- FireBuster- Shyh-Chin Chen and John Benoit, since 2014, fwxfcst.us/firebuster/
- Monthly to Seasonal Fire Danger Forecast – Shyh-Chin Chen and John Benoit, since 2018, fwxfcst.us/nfdr-cfsds/
- SpotForecast- Shyh-Chin Chen and John Benoit, a mobile app for fire weather forecast published on Google Play (Android) and App Store (iOS), since 2019
Developing fire danger forecasts using meteorological weather and climate models. Such applications are critical to wildland fire managements. I also study largescale weather patterns, which help to explain regional variations in climate.
Why This Research is Important
In California, we live in a highly blended urban and wildland area. We need an efficient wildland fire management system to protect our valuable community properties and lives as well as our precious natural resources. My research aims to implement such system.
- University of Illinois, Ph.D. Atmospheric Sciences 1987
- Research Meteorologist, Pacific Southwest Research Station, USDA
2004 - Current
- Associate Director, Experimental Climate Prediction Center, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/University of California, San Diego
1996 - 2003
- Associate Research Meteorologist, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/University of California, San Diego
1995 - 2003
- Assistant Research Meteorologist, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/University of California, San Diego
1989 - 1995
- Postgraduate Research Meteorologist, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/University of California, San Diego
1987 - 1989
- Visiting Scientist, National Center for Atmospheric Research
1986 - 1987
Awards & Recognition
- Orson-Anderson Scholar, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1991, 2020
For outstanding climate research
- NCAR Outstanding Publications Award Nominee, 1988
For two 1988 publications (J. Atmos. Sci., 45, 658-680 and J. Atmos. Sci., 45, 682-704)
Featured Publications & Products
- Chen, Shyh-Chin ; Benoit, John ; Ritchie, Jack ; Zhang, Yunfei ; Juang, Hann- Ming Henry; Chen, Ying-Ju ; Rolinski, Tom . 2019. FireBuster a web application for high-resolution fire weather modeling.
- Roads, J.; Tripp, P.; Juang, H.; Wang, J.; Fujioka, F.; Chen, S. 2010. NCEP-ECPC monthly to seasonal US fire danger forecasts.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Westerling, Anthony L. 2008. Wildland fire probabilities estimated from weather model-deduced monthly mean fire danger indices.
- Benoit, John W.; Chen, Shyh-Chin . 2019. FireBuster: Una Herramienta Para el Manejo del Fuego.
- Benoit, John W.; Chen, Shyh-Chin . 2019. FireBuster: a tool for fire management.
- Juang, Hann-Ming Henry; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Hong, Songyou; Kanamaru, Hideki; Reichler, Thomas; Enomoto, Takeshi; Putrasahan, Dian; Anderson, Bruce T.; Gershunov, Sasha; Li, Haiqin; Yoshimura, Kei; Buenning, Nikolaus; Boomer, Diane. 2014. Regional Spectral Model Workshop in memory of John Roads and Masao Kanamitsu.
- Benoit, John W.; González-Cabán, Armando; Fujioka, Francis M.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Sanchez, José J. 2013. Spatial allocation of market and nonmarket values in wildland fire management: A case study.
- Jin, Sen; Chen, Shyh-Chin. 2012. Application of QuickBird imagery in fuel load estimation in the Daxinganling region, China..
- Daniels, A.E.; Morrison, J.F.; Joyce, L.A.; Crookston, N.L.; Chen, S.C.; McNulty, S.G. 2012. Climate projections FAQ.
- Chen, Shyh-Chin; Preisler, Haiganoush; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Roads, John O. 2009. Seasonal predictions for wildland fire severity.
- Hui, David; Shum, Karen; Chen, Ji; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Ritchie, Jack; Roads, John. 2007. Case studies of seasonal rainfall forecasts for Hong Kong and its vicinity using a regional climate model.
- Juang, Hann-Ming Henry; Lee, Ching-Teng; Zhang, Yongxin; Song, Yucheng; Wu, Ming-Chin; Chen, Yi-Leng; Kodama, Kevin; Chen, Shyh-Chin. 2005. Applying horizontal diffusion on pressure surface to mesoscale models on terrain-following coordinates.
- Chen, Shyh-Chin; Roads, John. 2005. Impact of soil moisture on regional spectral model simulations for South America.
- Lee, Ching-Teng; Wu, Ming-Chin; Chen, Shyh-Chin. 2005. Regional Spectral Model simulations of the summertime regional climate over Taiwan and adjacent areas.
- Roads, J.; Fujioka, F.; Chen, S.; Burgan, R. 2005. Seasonal fire danger forecasts for the USA.
|FireBusting Weather Forecasts|
FireBuster is a new web tool to produce timely, detailed 72-hour high-resolution forecasts of fire weather in mountainous areas over Southern Ca ...
|Long Range Prediction for Fire Danger and Fire Severity|
Predicting the influence of weather on fire ignition and spread is an operational requirement for national fire planning by the National Interag ...