Susan B. Adams
Team Leader / Research Fisheries Biologist
1000 Front Street
Phone: 662-234-2744 x267
Contact Susan B. Adams
I conduct research on the biology and community ecology of native, warmwater fishes and crayfishes at various spatial and temporal scales. Research is directed toward understanding mechanisms contributing to the structure of aquatic communities, quantifying the effects of disturbance on aquatic systems, and improving knowledge about the taxonomy, distribution, and life history of crayfishes. Much of my current work focuses on how press (e.g., stream warming, dams, land use changes) and pulse (e.g., major storms) disturbances influence communities. I am also involved in long-term research on sculpin distributions and their changes with stream warming in streams of western Montana.
Past research has included:
-Habitat correlates of bull trout in Idaho streams
-Mechanisms of invasion by brook trout in Montana and Idaho
-Movements by sculpin, Rocky Mountain tailed frogs, and boreal toads in western streams
-Life history, habitat use, diet, and population genetics of Alabama shad
-Seasonal and interannual variation in warmwater fish assemblages
-Phylogenetics of crayfishes in the Trisellescens subgenus of the genus Orconectes
-Effects of anthropological disturbances on crayfishes
-Life history and phylogenetics of crayfishes
- The University of Montana, Missoula, Ph.D. Organismal Biology and Ecology 1999
- University of Idaho, Moscow, M.S. Fisheries Resources 1994
- Carleton College, Northfield, MN, B.A. Biology 1986
- Freshwater Crayfish, Journal of the International Assoc. of Astacology, Editorial Board (2010 - Current)
- Society of Freshwater Science, Member (2010 - Current)
- International Association of Astacology, Member And Past-President (2004 - Current)
- University of Mississippi, Adjunct Faculty (2001 - Current)
- American Fisheries Society, Member (1991 - Current)
- Louisiana State University, Graduate School Affiliate (2012 - 2016)
- Southeastern Fishes Council, Member (2001 - 2016)
- University of Alabama, Member Of Graduate School (2012 - 2014)
- University of Southern Mississippi, Adjunct Faculty (2002 - 2013)
Awards & Recognition
- Outstanding Professional Presentation Award, 2018
For Adams (presenter) and Hereford: "Burning down the house: effects of prescribed burning and mechanical vegetation treatments on primary burrowing crayfish densities" presented at the 22nd International Assoc. of Astacology meeting, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Outstanding Student Presentation Award, 2018
For Z. Barnett (presenter) et al. "Detectable Effects of Impoundments on the Genetic Structure of Crayfish (Faxonius spp.) in Alabama 43 Years After Dam Closure" presented at the 22nd International Assoc. of Astacology meeting, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Runner-Up Award for Best Oral Presentation in Applied Research, 2018
For Barnett, Z.C. (presenter), S.B. Adams, and C.A. Ochs. 2018. Environmental impacts to crayfish and fish populations in impounded and unimpounded streams in Alabama. Society for Freshwater Science annual meeting. May 21-24. Detroit, MI.
- 2018 Jim Sedell Excellence in Research Award, 2018
National FS award as part of the Rise to the Future program. Honors outstanding contributions in aquatic research.
- Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award, 2015
Awarded by the USFS Southern Research Station Director as part of the Inspiring Women Awards Program.
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2011
for valuable contributions to the Climate Change Resource Center
- Southern Research Station Civil Rights Committee Award , 2010
For establishing a community garden in Oxford, MS.
- Best Professional Paper Award, 2009
For D.A Schmetterling (presenter) et al.: "Climate change mediates the spatial partitioning of sculpin and longnose dace leading to trophic cascades in riverine ecosystems of western Montana" presented at the Montana Chapter American Fisheries meeting.
- Rise to the Future, Professional Excellence in Research Award, 2006
A national FS award recognizing outstanding research accomplishments by a FS aquatic scientist.
- US Forest Service Southern Research Station Director’s Award , 2004
Awarded to the to the Aquatic and Terrestrial Fauna Team for Maintaining and Enhancing the Nation’s Natural Resources.
- Best Student Paper Award, 1997
for research presented at the Montana Chapter American Fisheries Society annual meeting
Featured Publications & Products
- Adams, Susan B.; Davis, Blake A.; Miller, Darren A. 2018. Hobbseus yalobushensis, a crayfish of intermittent streams: Biotic and habitat associations, life history characteristics, and new localities.
- Budnick, William R.; Kelso, William E.; Adams, Susan B.; Kaller, Michael D. 2018. A multigear protocol for sampling crayfish assemblages in Gulf of Mexico coastal streams.
- Adams, Susan B.; Jones, Robert L. 2018. Range extensions of three crayfishes (Faxonius yanahlindus, F. placidus, and F. erichsonianus) into Mississippi.
- Barnett, Zanethia C.; Adams, Susan B.; Rosamond, Rebecca L. . 2017. Habitat use and life history of the vernal crayfish, Procambarus viaeviridis (Faxon, 1914), a secondary burrowing crayfish in Mississippi, USA.
- Richman, Nadia I.; Böhm, Monika; Adams, Susan B.; Alvarez, Fernando; Bergey, Elizabeth A.; Bunn, John J. S.; Burnham, Quinton; Cordeiro, Jay; Coughran, Jason; Crandall, Keith A.; Dawkins, Kathryn L.; DiStefano, Robert J.; Doran, Niall E.; Edsman, Lennart; Eversole, Arnold G.; Füreder, Leopold; Furse, James M.; Gherardi, Francesca; Hamr, Premek; Holdich, David M.; Horwitz, Pierre; Johnston, Kerrylyn; Jones, Clive M.; Jones, Julia P. G.; Jones, Robert L.; Jones, Thomas G.; Kawai, Tadashi; Lawler, Susan; López-Mejía, Marilu; Miller, Rebecca M.; Pedraza-Lara, Carlos; Reynolds, Julian D.; Richardson, Alastair M. M.; Schultz, Mark B.; Schuster, Guenter A.; Sibley, Peter J.; Souty-Grosset, Catherine; Taylor, Christopher A.; Thoma, Roger F.; Walls, Jerry; Walsh, Todd S.; Cohen, Ben. 2015. Multiple drivers of decline in the global status of freshwater crayfish (Decapoda:Astacidea).
- Schuster, Guenter A.; Taylor, Christopher A.; Adams, Susan B. 2015. Procambarus (Girardiella) holifieldi, a new species of crayfish (Decapoda: Cambaridae) from Alabama with a revision of the Hagenianus Group in the subgenus Girardiella.
- Adams, Susan B.; Roghair, Craig; Krause, Colin; Warren, Mel; Cochran, J. Allison; Dolloff, Andy; Moran, John; McGregor, Stuart W.; Schuester, Guenter A.; Gangloff, Michael; DeVries, Dennis R.; Kendrick, Michael R.; Grove, G. Lee; Wright, Russell A. 2015. New crayfish species records from the Sipsey Fork drainage, including Lewis Smith Reservoir (Alabama, USA): Native or introduced species.
- Adams, Susan B.; Schmetterling, David A.; Neely, David A. 2015. Summer stream temperatures influence sculpin distributions and spatial partitioning in the Upper Clark Fork River Basin, Montana.
- Adams, Susan B.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr. 2005. Recolonization by warmwater fishes and crayfishes after severe drought in upper coastal plain hill streams.
- Dunham, Jason B.; Adams, Susan B.; Schroeter, Robert E.; Novinger, Douglas C. 2002. Alien invasions in aquatic ecosystems: toward an understanding of brook trout invasions and potential impacts on inland cutthroat trout in western North America.
- Adams, Susan B. 2020. An overview of native and invasive crayfish in Mississippi and Alabama.
- Barnett, Zanethia C.; Adams, Susan B.; Ochs, Clifford A.; Garrick, Ryan C. 2020. Crayfish populations genetically fragmented in streams impounded for 36 104 years.
- Barnett, Zanethia C.; Ochs, Clifford A.; Hoeksema, Jason D.; Adams, Susan B. 2020. Multipass electrofishing sampling efficiency for stream crayfish population estimates.
- GLON, MAEL G.; ADAMS, SUSAN B.; LOUGHMAN, ZACHARY J.; MYERS, GREG A.; TAYLOR, CHRISTOPHER A.; SCHUSTER, GUENTER A. 2020. Two new species of burrowing crayfish in the genus Lacunicambarus (Decapoda: Cambaridae) from Alabama and Mississippi.
- Adams, Susan; Hereford, Scott. 2019. Digging deep for crayfish clues.
- Barnett, Zanethia C.; Adams, Susan B. 2018. Comparison of Two Crayfish Trapping Methods in Coastal Plain Seasonal Wetlands.
- Mickle, Paul F.; Schaefer, Jacob F.; Adams, Susan B.; Kreiser, Brian R.; Slack, Wiliam T. 2016. Environmental conditions of 2 river drainages into the Northern Gulf of Mexico during successful hatching of Alabama shad (Alosa alabamae).
- Dolloff, Andy; Roghair, Craig; Krause, Colin; Moran, John; Cochran, Allison; Warren, Mel; Adams, Susan; Haag, Wendell. 2016. Spatio-temporal variation in distribution of aquatic species and their habitats in a reservoir transition zone.
- Adams, Susan B. 2014. Crayfish use of trash versus natural cover in incised, sand-bed streams.
- Taylor, Christopher A.; Adams, Susan B.; Schuster, Guenter A. 2014. Systematics and biogeography of Orconectes, subgenus Trisellescens, in the southeastern United States, a test of morphology-based classification.
- Mickle, Paul F.; Schaefer, Jacob, F..; Yee, Donald A.; Adams, Susan B. 2013. Diet of juvenile Alabama shad (Alosa alabamae) in two northern Gulf of Mexico drainages.
- Adams, Susan B. 2013. Effects of small impoundments on downstream crayfish assemblages.
- Adams, Susan B.; Taylor, Christopher A.; Lukhaup, Chris. 2010. Crayfish fauna of the Tennessee River drainage in Mississippi, including new state species records.
- Mickle, P. F.; Schaefer, J.F.; Adams, S.B.; Kreiser, B.R. 2010. Habitat use of age 0 Alabama shad in the Pascagoula River drainage, USA.
- Adams, Susan B.; Burnett, Kelly M.; Bisson, Peter; Harvey, Bret; Nislow, Keith H.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Rinne, John. 2010. The role of the Forest Service in aquatic invasive species research.
- Adams, S. B. 2008. Female reproductive characteristics of three species in the Orconectes subgenus Trisellescens and comparisons to other Orconectes species.
- Rieman, Bruce E.; Isaak, Daniel; Adams, Susan; Horan, Dona; Nagel, David; Luce, Charles; Myers, Deborah. 2007. Anticipated climate warming effects on bull trout habitats and populations across the interior Columbia River basin.
- Adams, Susan B.; Schmetterling, David A. 2007. Freshwater sculpins: phylogenetics to ecology.
- Adams, Susan B.; Hamel, Paul B.; Connor, Kristina; Burke, Bryce; Gardiner, Emile S.; Wise, David. 2007. Potential roles of fish, birds, and water in swamp privet (Forestiera acuminata) seed dispersal.
- Meadows, Dwayne W.; Adams, Susan B.; Schaefer, Jacob F. 2007. Threatened fishes of the world: Alosa alabamae (Jordan and Evermann, 1896) (Clupeidae).
- Adams, Susan B. 2006. Dainties of the first order.
- Adams, Susan B. 2006. Direct and indirect effects of channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) on native crayfishes (Cambaridae) in experimental tanks.
- Adams, Susan B.; Schmetterling, David A.; Young, Michael K. 2005. Instream movements by boreal toads (Bufo boreas boreas).
- Adams, Susan B. 2005. Katrina: boon or bust for freshwater fish communities.
- Williams, Lance R.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr..; Adams, Susan B.; Arvai, Joseph L.; Taylor, Christopher M. 2004. Basin Visual Estimation Technique (BVET) and Representative Reach Approaches to Wadeable Stream Surveys: Methodological Limitations and Future Directions.
- Adams, Susan B.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr..; Haag, Wendell R. 2004. Spatial and temporal patterns in fish assemblages of upper coastal plain streams, Mississippi, USA.
- Schmetterling, David A.; Adams, Susan B. 2004. Summer Movements within the Fish Community of a Small Montane Stream.
- Adams, Susan B.; Frissell, Christopher A.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2001. Geography of invasion in mountain streams: consequences of headwater lake fish introductions.
- Adams, Susan B.; Frissell, Christopher A. 2001. Thermal Habitat Use and Evidence of Seasonal Migration by Rocky Mountain Tailed Frogs, Ascaphus montanus, in Montana.
- Warren, Melvin L., Jr..; Haag, Wendell R.; Adams, Susan B. 2000. Forest linkages to diversity and abundancein lowland stream fish communities.
- Adams, Susan B.; Frissell, Christopher A.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2000. Movements of nonnative brook trout in relation to stream channel slope.
- Adams, Susan B.; Bjornn, Theodore C. 1997. Bull trout distributions related to temperature regimes in four central Idaho streams.
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
Elkins, D.C., et al. 2016. The southeastern aquatic biodiversity conservation strategy. Final report. Athens, GA, University of Georgia River Basin Center: 237 pages. (Adams served on the project advisory board and contributed data and expertise to the project)
|Global Conservation Status of Freshwater Crayfish|
The southeastern U.S. is a major hotspot of freshwater crayfish diversity, says a new global assessment of crayfish conservation status. The rep ...