Richard T. Reynolds
240 West Prospect Road
Contact Richard T. Reynolds
My research focuses on the relationship between species' demographies -- their reproduction, survival, mate and territory fidelity -- and their habitat in order to identify habitat elements that distinguish among high quality and low quality habitats. This research necessarily requires long-term capture-mark-recapture work so that the demographic performance of known individuals can be related to the compositions and structures of habitats they use throughout their lives. Products of the research enhance our understanding of the importance of habitat characteristics in species' viability and helps managers provide quality habitats through management activities.
An example of this demographically-based habitat research is our work on the northern goshawk, a 'sensitive' species and a candidate for listing under the Endangered Species Act. The focus of concern for this species was loss of habitat due to a forest management practices. The importance of our research on the hawk and its habitat was highlighted in a collaborative effort between animal ecologists, silviculturalists, and foresters to synthesize habitat-related knowledge of the plants and animals in this predator's food web to develop best-science management recommendations. This collaboration identified unique sets of desired habitat conditions that combined both a fine and coarse filter approach to multi-species conservation. The management recommendations were incorporated into forest plans of all National Forests in the Southwestern Region in 1996. Implementation improves visual quality, forage, wood products, and hydrologic function of forests; reduces fire hazards; and increases resilience to insects, disease, and climate change.
Why This Research is Important
- Oregon State University, B.S. Botony, Entomology, Zoology, History and Philosophy of Science 1970
- Oregon State University, M.S. Wildlife Ecology 1975
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Animal Ecology 1978
Featured Publications & Products
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Graham, Russell T.; Boyce, Douglas A., Jr. 2008. Northern goshawk habitat: an intersection of science, management, and conservation.
- Youtz, James A.; Graham, Russell T.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Simon, Jerry. 2008. Implementing northern goshawk habitat management in Southwestern forests: a template for restoring fire-adapted forest ecosystems..
- Bayard De Volo, Shelley; Reynolds, Richard T.; Douglas, Marlis R.; Antolin, Michael F. 2008. An improved extraction method to increase DNA yield from molted feathers.
- Linkhart, Brian D.; Reynolds, Richard T. 2007. Return rate, fidelity, and dispersal in a breeding population of flammulated owls (Otus flammeolus).
- Salafsky, Susan R.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Noon, Barry R.; Wiens, John A. 2007. Reproductive responses of northern goshawks to variable prey populations.
- Cheng, Tina L.; Reichard, Jonathan D.; Coleman, Jeremy T. H.; Weller, Theodore J.; Thogmartin, Wayne E.; Reichert, Brian E.; Bennett, Alyssa B.; Broders, Hugh G.; Campbell, Joshua ; Etchison, Katherine ; Feller, Daniel J.; Geboy, Richard ; Hemberger, Traci ; Herzog, Carl ; Hicks, Alan C.; Houghton, Sandra ; Humber, Jessica ; Kath, Joseph A.; King, R. Andrew; Loeb, Susan C.; Massé, Ariane ; Morris, Katrina M.; Niederriter, Holly ; Nordquist, Gerda ; Perry, Roger W.; Reynolds, Richard J.; Sasse, D. Blake; Scafini, Michael R.; Stark, Richard C.; Stihler, Craig W.; Thomas, Steven C.; Turner, Gregory G.; Webb, Shevenell ; Westrich, Bradford J.; Frick, Winifred F. 2021. The scope and severity of white nose syndrome on hibernating bats in North America.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Lambert, Jeffrey S.; Kay, Shannon L.; Sanderlin, Jamie S.; Bird, Benjamin J. 2019. Factors affecting lifetime reproduction, longterm territory-specific reproduction, and estimation of habitat quality in northern goshawks.
- Patriarca, Chiara ; Bako, Mamane ; Branthomme, Anne ; Frescino, Tracey S.; Haddad, Fidaa F.; Hamid, Abdel Hamied; Martucci, Antonio ; Chour, Hivy Ortiz; Patterson, Paul L.; Picard, Nicolas ; Reeves, Matt C.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Sacande, Moctar ; Shono, Kenichi ; Sparrow, Ben ; Stolle, Fred ; Winkler-Rathonyi, Norbert ; Zhang, Daowei ; Ziadat, Feras . 2019. Trees, forests and land use in drylands: The first global assessment.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Lambert, Jeffrey S.; Flather, Curtis H.; White, Gary C.; Bird, Benjamin J.; Baggett, L. Scott; Lambert, Carrie; Bayard de Volo, Shelley. 2017. Long-term demography of the Northern Goshawk in a variable environment.
- Graham, Russell T.; Bayard de Volo, Shelley; Reynolds, Richard T. 2015. Northern goshawk and its prey in the Black Hills: Habitat assessment.
- Dickson, Brett G.; Sisk, Thomas D.; Sesnie, Steven E.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Rosenstock, Steven S.; Vojta, Christina D.; Ingraldi, Michael F.; Rundall, Jill M. 2014. Integrating single-species management and landscape conservation using regional habitat occurrence models: The northern goshawk in the Southwest, USA.
- Bayard de Volo, Shelley; Reynolds, Richard T.; Sonsthagen, Sarah A.; Talbot, Sandra L.; Antolin, Michael F. 2013. Phylogeography, postglacial gene flow, and population history of North American northern goshawks (Accipiter gentilis).
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Sanchez Meador, Andrew J.; Youtz, James A.; Nicolet, Tessa; Matonis, Megan S.; Jackson, Patrick L.; DeLorenzo, Donald G.; Graves, Andrew D. 2013. Restoring composition and structure in Southwestern frequent-fire forests: A science-based framework for improving ecosystem resiliency.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Boyce, Douglas A.; Graham, Russell T. 2012. Ponderosa pine forest structure and northern goshawk reproduction: Response to Beier et al.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Wiens, J. David; Salafsky, Susan . 2006. A review and evaluation of factors limiting northern goshawk populations.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Joy, Suzanne M. 2006. Demography of Northern goshawks in northern Arizona, 1991-1996.
- Boyce, Douglas A., Jr..; Reynolds, Richard T.; Graham, Russell T. 2006. Goshawk status and management: What do we know, what have we done, where are we going.
- Wiens, J. David; Reynolds, Richard T.; Noon, Barry R. 2006. Juvenile movement and natal dispersal on northern goshawks in Arizona.
- Linkhart, Brian D.; Reynolds, Richard T. 2006. Lifetime reproduction of flammulated owls in Colorado.
- Wiens, J. David; Noon, Barry R.; Reynolds, Richard T. 2006. Post-fledging survival of Northern Goshawks: the importance of prey abundance, weather, and dispersal.
- Wiens, J. David; Reynolds, Richard T. 2005. Is fledging success a reliable index of fitness in Northern Goshawks.
- Salafsky, Susan R.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Noon, Barry R. 2005. Patterns of temporal variation in goshawk reproduction and prey resources.
- de Volo, Shelley Bayard; Reynolds, Richard T.; Topinka, J. Rick; May, Bernie; Antolin, Michael F. 2005. Population genetics and genotyping for mark-recapture studies of Northern Goshawks (Accipiter gentilis) on the Kaibab Plateau, Arizona.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Wiens, J. David; Joy, Suzanne M.; Salafsky, Susan R. 2005. Sampling considerations for demographic and habitat studies of Northern Goshawks.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; White, Gary C.; Joy, Suzanne M.; Mannan, R. William. 2004. Effects of radiotransmitters on northern goshawks: Do tailmounts lower survival of breeding males.
- La Sorte, Frank A.; Mannan, R. William; Reynolds, Richard T.; Grubb, Teryl G. 2004. Habitat associations of sympatric red-tailed hawks and northern goshawks on the Kaibab Plateau.
- Linkhart, Brian D.; Reynolds, Richard T. 2004. Longevity of flammulated owls: Additional records and comparisons to other North American strigiforms.
- Joy, Suzanne M.; Reich, R. M.; Reynolds, Richard T. 2003. A non-parametric, supervised classification of vegetation types on the Kaibab National Forest using decision trees.
- Johnson, Charles L.; Reynolds, Richard T. 2002. Responses of Mexican spotted owls to low-flying military jet aircraft.
- Belnap, Jayne; Reynolds, Richard; Reheis, Marith; Phillips, Susan L. 2001. What makes the desert bloom Contribution of dust and crusts to soil fertility on the Colorado Plateau.
- Joy, Suzanne M.; Reich, Robin M.; Reynolds, Richard T. 2000. Modeling small-scale variability in the composition of goshawk habitat on the Kaibab National Forest.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Joy, Suzanne M. 1998. Distribution, territory occupancy, dispersal, and demography of northern goshawks on the Kaibab Plateau, Arizona.
- Linkhart, Brian D.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Ryder, Ronald A. 1998. Home range and habitat of breeding flammulated owls in Colorado.
- Squires, John R.; Reynolds, Richard T. 1997. Northern goshawk (Accipiter gentilis).
- Linkhart, Brian D.; Reynolds, Richard T. 1997. Territories of flammulated owls (Otus flammeolus): Is occupancy a measure of habitat quality.
- Graham, Russell T.; Jain, Theresa B.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Boyce, Douglas, A. 1997. The role of fire in sustaining northern goshawk habitat in Rocky Mountain forests.
- Joy, Suzanne M.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Knight, Richard L.; Hoffman, Richard W. 1994. Feeding ecology of sharp-shinned hawks in deciduous and coniferous forests in Colorado.
- Graham, Russell T.; Jain, Theresa B.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Boyce, Douglas A. 1994. From single species management to ecosystem management, "The goshawk".
- Bassett, Richard L.; Boyce, Douglas A., Jr..; Reiser, M. Hildegard; Graham, Russell T.; Reynolds, Richard T. 1994. Influence of site quality and stand density on goshawk habitat in southwestern forests.
- Joy, Suzanne M.; Reynolds, Richard T.; Leslie, Douglas G. 1994. Northern goshawk broadcast surveys: Hawk response variables and survey cost.
- Linkhart, Brain D.; Reynolds, Richard T. 1994. Peromyscus carcass in the nest of a flammulated owl.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Graham, Russell T.; Reiser, M. Hildegard. 1992. Management recommendations for the northern goshawk in the southwestern United States.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Linkhart, Brian D. 1990. Extra-pair copulation and extra-range movements in Flammulated Owls.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Linkhart, Brian D. 1990. Longevity records for male and female flammulated owls.
- Linkhart, Brian D.; Reynolds, Richard T. 1987. Brood division and postnesting behavior of Flammulated Owls.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Linkhart, Brian D. 1984. Methods and materials for capturing and monitoring flammulated owls.
- Reynolds, Richard T. 1983. Management of western coniferous forest habitat for nesting accipiter hawks.
- Reynolds, R. T.; Scott, J. M.; Nussbaum, R. A. 1980. A variable circular-plot method for estimating bird numbers.
- Reynolds, Richard T.; Wight, Howard M. 1978. Distribution, density, and productivity of accipiter hawks breeding in Oregon.
- Reynolds, Richard T. 1970. Nest observations of the long-eared owl (Asio otus) in Benton County, Oregon, with notes on their food habits.
|A Science-Based Framework for Restoring Resiliency to Frequent-Fire Forests|
Today’s Western ponderosa pine and dry mixed-conifer forests historically experienced frequent low-severity surface fires andhave undergone ch ...
|Big Trees, Bark Beetles, Goshawks, and Timber|
Throughout the Rocky Mountains over the last century, large ponderosa pine trees provided lumber for growing cities and towns, along with fuel a ...
|Goshawks, bark beetles, and timber management: Can they coexist?|
Wildlife habitat and timber production are critical elements of the management of many national forests. The Black Hills National Forest in West ...
|New Framework Guides Land Managers in Restoring Forests to Historic Conditions|
Forest Service and university scientists and managers synthesized 100 years of published forestry science to help forest managers better underst ...
|Northern Goshawks on the Kaibab Plateau: A 20-year Investigation Into Factors Affecting Their Demography|
The northern goshawk is designated as a “sensitive species” in all Forest Service regions. This designation is a consequence of a contention ...