Robert J. Moon
Materials Research Engineer
Renewable Bioproducts Institute at Georgia Tech
500 10th St. NW
Contact Robert J. Moon
Dr. Moon is an internationally recognized researcher in cellulose nanomaterials (CN). He is an expert in processing-structure-property relationships as they apply in various aspects of CN research, such as, nanocomposites, hybrid composites, recyclable solar cells, multi-scale modeling, characterization, etc.. His research program on nanoscale science and engineering of CNs are highly collaborative with Purdue University and Georgia Institute of Technology (GT), where he holds Adjunct Professor appointments in both the School of Materials Engineering (at Purdue University), and in the School of Materials Science and Engineering (at GT). Dr. Moon a member of and is currently stationed at the Renewable Bioproducts Institute at GT.
Dr. Moon works to develop cellulose nanomaterials (CN) pre-structures (e.g. films, continuous fibers, spheres, etc.) combined with targeted CN surface treatments to produce industrially relevant CN composites with improved performance (thermo-mechanical properties, etc) and new functionality/capabilities (e.g., antimicrobial, current conduction, etc.). Resent work has been in the areas of new cement systems, flexible electronics, and functional fillers in various polymer systems.
•Hierarchical Structure Effects on Properties
•Fracture and Wear of Materials
•Cellulose Nanomaterials: Composite Processing, Characterization, and Modeling
•Cellulose Nanomaterials: for cements, flexible electronics, and functional fillers in polymers
•Sustainable, Biodegradable, Carbon Neutral Materials
Improved Fracture Toughness of Ceramics by Structural Design: 1997-2005
Ceramic materials are increasingly being used in applications with extreme environments (e.g., wear, high temperatures, etc.), but they are brittle, cracking easily. There is a need to improve their durability. During his PhD and Post Doctorial studies, the Dr. Moon completed cutting-edge research in knowledge discovery on making ceramics more difficult to break via ground breaking investigations into how cracks grow. Through design of ceramic composites, the Dr. Moon focused on three key mechanisms for impeding crack growth; weak interlayers, residual stress, and graded layers (e.g., change in composition vs position). This work resulted in 17 publications.
Knowledge Synthesis and Assessment of Cellulose Nanomaterials: 2010-2018
Dr. Moon strives to digest down the culmination of many studies and complex ideas regarding Cellulose nanomaterials (CN) into basic constructs, describe these in simple relevant terms, maintaining content consistency and integrity, and writing in a style that engages a wide spectrum of readers from various disciplines & level of expertise who are reading to be introduced to CNs or gain some new insights about the key concepts of these materials. Dr. Moon has co-lead three key publications in this area.
- Cellulose Nanomaterials Review: Structure, Properties and Nanocomposites. R Moon, A Martini, J Nairn, J Simonsen, and J Youngblood. . Chemical Society Reviews 40:3941-3994 (2011).
- Production and Applications of Cellulose Nanomaterials. Ed. MT Postek, RJ Moon, A Rudie, M Bilodeau, TAPPI Press. (June 2013).
- Current characterization methods for cellulose nanomaterials. EJ Foster, RJ Moon, U Agarwal, MJ Bortner, J Bras, S Camarero-Espinosa, KJ Chan, MJD Clift, ED Cranston, S Eichhorn, D Fox, W Hamad, L Heux, B Jean, M Korey, W Nieh, KJ Ong, MS Reid, S Renneckar, R Roberts, JA Shatkin, J Simonsen, K Stinson-Bagby, N Wanasekara, J Youngblood. . Chemical Society Reviews 47:2609-2679 (2018).
How Stiff and Strong are Cellulose Nanomaterial: 2007-2018
Cellulose nanomaterials (CNs) have big gaps and reliability issues in their reported properties, a consequence of their extremely small size, and the ordered bundling of cellulose chains along the CN length, which results in large differences in properties depending on the measurement direction (e.g. property anisotropy). Dr. Moon used Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and atomistic modeling to assess properties of nanoscale sized particles and elucidate the mechanisms giving rise to uncertainties. This work provided the first experimental measurement of stiffness in the transverse direction of CNs. This work resulted in 11 publications.
- Purdue University, Ph.D. Materials Engineering 2000
- Purdue University, M.S. Metallurgical Engineering 1996
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S. Metallurgical Engineering 1994
- Adjunct Professor-, Materials Science & Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
2014 - Current
- Adjunct Professor-, Materials Engineering, Purdue University
2007 - Current
- Visiting Scientist, University of New South Wales, Australia
2005 - 2005
- ARC Postdoctoral Fellow, University of New South Wales, Australia
2002 - 2005
- Visiting Scientist, Kyoto Institute of Technology, Japan
2002 - 2003
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of New South Wales, Australia
2000 - 2001
- TAPPI NanoDivision, Chair (2014 - Current)
Dr. Moon provides the direction, vision, and sets the goals of the division, and plays a central role in directing/shaping the content of the NANO conference. The NANO conference is the NanoDivision’s annual conference “The International Conference in Nanotechnology of Renewable Materials”, which is the preeminent international technical conference on the production, research, development, and application of cellulose nanomaterials. Under Dr. Moon’s leadership, the NanoDivision (initiated in 2011) has grown in membership, become self-sustaining, expanded beyond the pulp and paper disciplines and industries, expanded informational outreach, and expanded the content and grew attendance of the annual NANO conference. Dr. Moon led the development of a new organizational structure consisting of a leadership team and 5 committees (e.g., Producers, End-Users, Research, Student, and Webinar) that execute specific functions of the NanoDivision, its outreach and the organization and plan
Featured Publications & Products
- Moon, Robert J.; Martini, Ashlie; Nairn, John; Simonsen, John; Youngblood, Jeff. 2011. Cellulose nanomaterials review: structure, properties and nanocomposites.
- Foster, E. Johan; Moon, Robert J.; Agarwal, Umesh P.; Bortner, Michael J.; Bras, Julien ; Camarero-Espinosa, Sandra ; Chan, Kathleen J.; Clift, Martin J. D.; Cranston, Emily D.; Eichhorn, Stephen J.; Fox, Douglas M.; Hamad, Wadood Y.; Heux, Laurent ; Jean, Bruno ; Korey, Matthew ; Nieh, World ; Ong, Kimberly J.; Reid, Michael S.; Renneckar, Scott ; Roberts, Rose ; Shatkin, Jo Anne; Simonsen, John ; Stinson-Bagby, Kelly ; Wanasekara, Nandula ; Youngblood, Jeff . 2018. Current characterization methods for cellulose nanomaterials.
- Zhou, Yinhua; Fuentes-Hernandez, Canek; Khan, Talha M.; Liu, Jen-Chieh; Hsu, James; Shim, Jae Won; Dindar, Amir; Youngblood, Jeffrey P.; Moon, Robert J.; Kippelen, Bernard. 2013. Recyclable organic solar cells on cellulose nanocrystal substrates.
- Cao, Yizheng; Zavaterri, Pablo; Youngblood, Jeff; Moon, Robert; Weiss, Jason. 2015. The influence of cellulose nanocrystal additions on the performance of cement paste.
- Padalkar, Sonal; Capadona, J.R.; Rowan, S.J.; Weder, C.; Won, Yu-Ho; Stanciu, Lia A.; Moon, Robert J. 2010. Natural biopolymers : novel templates for the synthesis of nanostructures..
- Diaz, Jairo A.; Wu, Xiawa; Martini, Ashlie; Youngblood, Jeffrey P.; Moon, Robert J. 2013. Thermal Expansion of Self-Organized and Shear-Oriented Cellulose Nanocrystal Films.
- Shang, ShunLi; Hector Jr., Louis G.; Saxe, Paul; Liu, Zi-Kui; Moon, Robert J.; Zavattieri, Pablo D. 2014. Anisotropy and temperature dependence of structural, thermodynamic, and elastic properties of crystalline cellulose Iβ: a first-principles investigation.
- Chen, Si; Schueneman, Greg; Pipes, R. Byron; Youngblood, Jeffrey; Moon, Robert J. 2014. Effects of Crystal Orientation on Cellulose Nanocrystals−Cellulose Acetate Nanocomposite Fibers Prepared by Dry Spinning.
- Wu, Xiawa; Moon, Robert J.; Martini, Ashlie. 2014. Tensile strength of I crystalline cellulose predicted by molecular dynamics simulation.
- Reising, Alexander B.; Moon, Robert J.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2012. Effect of particle Alignment on mechanical properties of neat cellulose nanocrystal films.
- Moon, Robert; Youngblood, Jeffrey; Reising, Alex. 2018. Method of Forming a Cellulose Nanocrystalline Film.
- Youngblood, Jeffrey; Moon, Robert; Reising, Alex. 2016. Method of Forming a Cellulose Nanocrystalline Film.
- Kippelen, Bernard; Fuentes-Hernandez, Canek; Zhou, Yinhua; Moon, Robert; Youngblood, Jeffrey. 2015. Recyclable Organic Solar Cells on Substrates Comprising Cellulose Nanocrystals (CNC).
- El Awad Azrak, Sami M.; Costakis, William J.; Moon, Robert J.; Schueneman, Gregory T.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2020. Continuous processing of cellulose nanofibril sheets through conventional single-screw extrusion.
- Clarkson, Caitlyn M.; El Awad Azrak, Sami M.; Forti, Endrina S.; Schueneman, Gregory T.; Moon, Robert J.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2020. Recent Developments in Cellulose Nanomaterial Composites.
- Forti, Endrina S.; Moon, Robert J.; Schueneman, Gregory T.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2020. Transparent tempo oxidized cellulose nanofibril (TOCNF) composites with increased toughness and thickness by lamination.
- DiLoreto, Edward ; Haque, Ejaz ; Berman, Arielle ; Moon, Robert J.; Kalaitzidou, Kyriaki . 2019. Freeze dried cellulose nanocrystal reinforced unsaturated polyester composites: challenges and potential.
- Asadi, Amir ; Baaij, Ferdinand ; Moon, Robert ; Harris, Tequila AL; Kalaitzidou, Kyriaki . 2019. Lightweight alternatives to glass fiber/epoxy sheet molding compound composites: a feasibility study.
- Goswami, Joyanta ; Haque, Ejaz ; Fox, Douglas M.; Gilman, Jeffrey W.; Holmes, Gale A.; Moon, Robert J.; Kalaitzidou, Kyriaki . 2019. The effect of cellulose nanocrystal coatings on the glass fiber epoxy interphase.
- El Awad Azrak, Sami M.; Clarkson, Caitlyn M.; Moon, Robert J.; Schueneman, Gregory T.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2019. Wet-stacking lamination of multilayer mechanically fibrillated cellulose nanofibril (CNF) sheets with increased mechanical performance for use in high-strength and lightweight structural and packaging applications.
- Shishehbor, Mehdi; Dri, Fernando L.; Moon, Robert J.; Zavattieri, Pablo D. 2018. A continuum-based structural modeling approach for cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs).
- Luo, Jeffrey ; Chang, Huibin ; Wang, Po-Hsiang ; Moon, Robert J.; Kumar, Satish . 2018. Cellulose nanocrystals effect on the stabilization of polyacrylonitrile composite films.
- Semenikhin, Nikolay S.; Kadasala, Naveen Reddy; Moon, Robert J.; Perry, Joseph W.; Sandhage, Kenneth H. 2018. Individually dispersed gold nanoshell-bearing cellulose nanocrystals with tailorable plasmon resonance.
- Luo, Jeffrey; Semenikhin, Nikolay; Chang, Huibin; Moon, Robert J.; Kumar, Satish. 2018. Post-sulfonation of cellulose nanofibrils with a one-step reaction to improve dispersibility.
- Fu, Tengfei; Moon, Robert J.; Zavatierri, Pablo; Youngblood, Jeffrey; Weiss, William Jason. 2017. Cellulose nanomaterials as additives for cementitious materials.
- Luo, Jeffrey; Chang, Huibin; Bakhtiary Davijani, Amir A.; Liu, H. Clive; Wang, Po-Hsiang; Moon, Robert J.; Kumar, Satish. 2017. Influence of high loading of cellulose nanocrystals in polyacrylonitrile composite films.
- Asadi, Amir; Miller, Mark; Singh, Arjun V.; Moon, Robert J.; Kalaitzidou, Kyriaki. 2017. Lightweight sheet molding compound (SMC) composites containing cellulose nanocrystals.
- Peng, Shane X.; Chang, Huibin; Kumar, Satish; Moon, Robert J.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2016. A comparative guide to controlled hydrophobization of cellulose nanocrystals via surface esterification.
- Asadi, A.; Miller, M.; Moon, Robert; Kalaitzidou, K. 2016. Improving the interfacial and mechanical properties of short glass fiber/epoxy composites by coating the glass fibers with cellulose nanocrystals.
- Asadi, Amir; Miller, Mark; Sultana, Sanzida; Moon, Robert J.; Kalaitzidou, Kyriaki. 2016. Introducing cellulose nanocrystals in sheet molding compounds (SMC).
- Wagner, Ryan; Moon, Robert J.; Raman, Arvind. 2016. Mechanical properties of cellulose nanomaterials studied by contact resonance atomic force microscopy.
- Moon, Robert J.; Schueneman, Gregory T.; Simonsen, John. 2016. Overview of Cellulose Nanomaterials, Their Capabilities and Applications.
- Cao, Yizheng; Tian, Nannan; Bahr, David; Zavattieri, Pablo D.; Youngblood, Jeffrey; Moon, Robert J.; Weiss, Jason. 2016. The influence of cellulose nanocrystals on the microstructure of cement paste.
- Cao, Yizheng; Zavattieri, Pablo; Youngblood, Jeffrey; Moon, Robert; Weiss, Jason. 2016. The relationship between cellulose nanocrystal dispersion and strength.
- Liu, Jen-Chieh; Martin, Darren J.; Moon, Robert J.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2015. Enhanced thermal stability of biomedical thermoplastic polyurethane with the addition of cellulose nanocrystals.
- Dri, Fernando L.; Wu, Xiawa; Moon, Robert J.; Martini, Ashlie; Zavattieri, Pablo D. 2015. Evaluation of reactive force fields for prediction of the thermo-mechanical properties of cellulose I.
- Diaz, Jairo A.; Braun, Julia L.; Moon, Robert J.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2015. Iridescent cellulose nanocrystal/polyethylene oxide composite films with low coefficient of thermal expansion.
- Sullivan, Erin; Moon, Robert; Kalaitzidou, Kyriaki. 2015. Processing and Characterization of Cellulose Nanocrystals/Polylactic Acid Nanocomposite Films.
- Wang, Cheng-Yin; Fuentes-Hernandez, Canek; Liu, Jen-Chieh; Dindar, Amir; Choi, Sangmoo; Youngblood, Jeffrey P.; Moon, Robert J.; Kippelen, Bernard. 2015. Stable Low-Voltage Operation Top-Gate Organic Field-Effect Transistors on Cellulose Nanocrystal Substrates.
- Goodsell, Johnathan E.; Moon, Robert J.; Huizar, Alionso; Pipes, R. Byron. 2014. A strategy for prediction of the elastic properties of epoxy-cellulose nanocrystal-reinforced fiber networks.
- Diaz, Jairo A.; Moon, Robert J.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2014. Contrast Enhanced Microscopy Digital Image Correlation: A General Method to Contact-Free Coefficient of Thermal Expansion Measurement of Polymer Films.
- Peng, Shane X.; Moon, Robert J.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2014. Design and characterization of cellulose nanocrystal-enhanced epoxy hardeners.
- Zhou, Yinhua; Khan, Talha M.; Liu, Jen-Chieh; Fuentes-Hernandez, Canek; Shim, Jae Won; Najafabadi, Ehsan; Youngblood, Jeffrey P.; Moon, Robert J.; Kippelen, Bernard. 2014. Efficient recyclable organic solar cells on cellulose nanocrystal substrates with a conducting polymer top electrode deposited by film-transfer lamination.
- Liu, Jen-Chieh; Moon, Robert J.; Rudie, Alan; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2014. Mechanical performance of cellulose nanofibril film-wood flake laminate.
- Diaz, Jairo A.; Ye, Zhijiang; Wu, Xiawa; Moore, Arden L.; Moon, Robert J.; Martini, Ashlie; Boday, Dylan J.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P. 2014. Thermal Conductivity in Nanostructured Films: From Single Cellulose Nanocrystals to Bulk Films.
- Dri, Fernando L.; Hector, Louis G. Jr.; Moon, Robert J.; Zavattieri, Pablo D. 2013. Anisotropy of the elastic properties of crystalline cellulose I from first principles density functional theory with Van der Waals interactions.
- Wu, Xiawa; Moon, Robert J.; Martini, Ashlie. 2013. Atomistic Simulation of Frictional Sliding Between Cellulose I Nanocrystals.
- Wu, Xiawa; Moon, Robert J.; Martini, Ashlie. 2013. Crystalline cellulose elastic modulus predicted by atomistic models of uniform deformation and nanoscale indentation.
- Snyder, Alexandra; Bo, Zhenyu; Moon, Robert; Rochet, Jean-Christophe; Stanciu, Lia. 2013. Reusable photocatalytic titanium dioxide-cellulose nanofiber films.
- Moon, Robert. 2012. Transforming Glycoscience: A Roadmap for the Future.
- Wu, Xiawa; Moon, Robert J.; Martini, Ashlie. 2011. Calculation of single chain cellulose elasticity using fully atomistic modeling.
- Postek, Michael T.; Vladar, Andras; Dagata, John; Farkas, Natalia; Ming, Bin; Wagner, Ryan; Raman, Arvind; Moon, Robert J.; Sabo, Ronald; Wegner, Theodore H.; Beecher, James. 2011. Development of the metrology and imaging of cellulose nanocrystals.
- Padalkar, Sonal; Capadona, Jeff R.; Rowan, Stuart J.; Weder, Christoph; Moon, Robert J.; Stanciu, Lia A. 2011. Self-assembly and alignment of semiconductor nanoparticles on cellulose nanocrystals.
- Wagner, Ryan; Moon, Robert; Pratt, Jon; Shaw, Gordon; Raman, Arvind. 2011. Uncertainty quantification in nanomechanical measurements using the atomic force microscope.
- Lahiji, Roya R.; Xu, Xin; Reifenberger, Ronald; Raman, Arvind; Rudie, Alan; Moon, Robert J. 2010. Atomic force microscopy characterization of cellulose nanocrystals.
- Moon, Robert J.; Wells, Joseph; Kretschmann, David E.; Evans, James; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Frihart, Charles R. 2010. Influence of chemical treatments on moisture-induced dimensional change and elastic modulus of earlywood and latewood.
- Moon, Robert J.; Hoffman, Mark; Rödel, Jurgen; Tochino, Shigemi; Pezzotti, Giuseppe. 2009. Evaluation of crack-tip stress fields on microstructural-scale fracture in Al-Al2O3 interpenetrating network composites.
- Jakes, J.E.; Frihart, C.R.; Beecher, J.F.; Moon, R.J.; Resto, P.J.; Melgarejo, Z.H.; Saurez, O.M.; Baumgart, H.; Elmustafa, A.A.; Stone, D.S. 2009. Nanoindentation near the edge.
- Moon, Robert J.; Jakes, Joseph E.; Beecher, Jim F.; Frihart, Charles R.; Stone, Donald S. 2009. Relating nanoindentation to macroindentation of wood.
- Lahiji, R.R.; Reifenberger, R.; Raman, A.; Rudie, Alan W.; Moon, Robert J. 2008. Characterization of cellulose nanocrystal surfaces by SPM.
- Frihart, Charles R.; Yelle, Daniel J.; Ralph, John; Moon, Robert J.; Stone, Donald S.; Jakes, Joseph E. 2008. Enhanced understanding of the relationship between chemical modification and mechanical properties of wood.
- Jakes, Joseph E.; Frihart, Charles R.; Beecher, James F.; Moon, Robert J.; Stone, D. S. 2008. Experimental method to account for structural compliance in nanoindentation measurements.
- Moon, Robert J. 2008. Nanomaterials in the forest products industry.
- Hofferber, Blake M.; Kolodka, Edward; Brandon, Rishawn; Moon, Robert J.; Frihart, Charles R. 2006. Effects of swelling forces on the durability of wood adhesive bonds.
- Moon, Robert J.; Frihart, Charles R.; Wegner, Theodore. 2006. Nanotechnology applications in the forest products industry.
Cellulose nanocrystals are ultra-small rod-like reinforcement material that can be extracted from trees, plants and some sea animals. This new t ...
|Cellulose Nanocrystals: Novel Templates for the Synthesis of Nanostructures|
Harvesting the properties of widely available natural biopolymers for the design of novel systems in nanobiotechnology has been largely ignored ...
|Ceramic-Like Thermal Expansion Obtained from Cellulose Nanocrystal Films|
One of the unique properties of cellulose nanocrystals (CNC) are their low dimensional change with changes in temperature. Understanding the rol ...
|New Process Fabricates Efficient Reclyclable Solar Cells Using Natural Substrates|
Solar cells fabricated on optically transparent cellulose nanocrystal (CNC) films reach a power conversion efficiency of 2.7 percent, an unprece ...
|Rapid Production of High Strength and Translucent Cellulose Nanofibril Sheets|
Conventional polymer processing equipment and food grade processing aids were used to continuously extrude high strength sheets of cellulose nan ...
|Removing Organic Compounds from Water with Reusable Nanofiber Films|
Researchers produced films for water decontamination using cellulose nanofibers as a matrix material for the suspension of photocatalytic nano p ...
|Scale-up of cellulose nano material production|
There is considerable research internationally on cellulose nano-materials as reinforcement fibers for high strength composites. A persistent pr ...