R. Justin DeRose
507 - 25th Street
Contact R. Justin DeRose
1) Developing the Forest Inventory and Analysis tree-ring data set associated with the Interior West States FIA plots for climatic and ecological research
2) Using FIA data for large-scale analyses of important ecological, disturbance and climate-related processes, and to inform forest management
3) Monitor and analyze forest resources in the Interior West (Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Montana, Utah, and Wyoming [see Map])
4) Using tree-rings to reconstruct past climates, and inform water management through the interdisciplinary Wasatch Dendroclimatology Research Group
1) Climate change effects on forested systems such as spruce beetle prevalence
2) Disturbance ecology, reconstructions, and interactions
3) Forest regeneration ecology (aspen and spruce-fir)
4) The use of novel species, approaches, and techniques in tree-ring science
5) Novel applications for the management of forest resilience in the face of climate change
6) Pairing tree-ring data with archaeological and paleoecological data for disturbance detection
7) Production ecology, stand dynamics, and silviculture
1) Production ecology, growth efficiency, and silviculture of spruce-fir ecosystems
2) Growth modeling using the Forest Vegetation Simulator to answer ecological questions, carbon sequestration, and to improve FVS model performance
3) Fire behavior modeling to answer questions about aspen ecology, and bark beetle-wildfire disturbance interactions
4) Disturbance ecology and interactions with a focus on Engelmann spruce forests
Why This Research is Important
Resource management is entering an era of increased uncertainty due to climate change, a focus on larger spatial and temporal scales, and rapidly shifting public perceptions of forest management. My research program provides novel interpretations of pressing management issues, such as:
1) how to build resistance and resilience of forests to climate change;
2) analysis of large inventory data sets like FIA to improve and streamline the forest planning process;
3) develop and interpret pre-instrumental climate data to enhance our understanding of past climate processes, but also to inform water management in the arid west.
- Utah State University, Ph.D. Ecology 2009
- University of Maine, M.S. Forestry 2004
- Utah State University, B.S. Forestry 2002
- Research Ecologist, USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Forest Inventory and Analysis
2011 - Current
- Certified Forester, Society of America Foresters
2007 - Current
- Voelker, Steve L.; DeRose, R. Justin; Bekker, Matthew F.; Sriladda, Chalita; Leksungnoen, Nisa; Kjelgren, Roger K. 2018. Anisohydric water use behavior links growing season evaporative demand to ring-width increment in conifers from summer-dry environments.
- Morris, Jesse L; Cottrell, Stuart; Fettig, Christopher J; DeRose, R. Justin; Mattor, Katherine M; Carter, Vachel A; Clear, Jennifer; Clement, Jessica; Hansen, Winslow D; Hicke, Jeffrey A; Higuera, Philip E; Seddon, Alistair WR; Seppä, Heikki; Sherriff, Rosemary L; Stednick, John D; Seybold, Steven J. 2018. Bark beetles as agents of change in social-ecological systems.
- Long, James N.; Windmuller-Campione, Marcella ; DeRose, R. Justin. 2018. Building resistance and resilience: Regeneration should not be left to chance.
- Pettit, Joseph L.; Derose, R. Justin; Long, James N. 2018. Climatic drivers of ponderosa pine growth in central Idaho.
- Malesky, Danielle M.; Bentz, Barbara J.; Brown, Gary R.; Brunelle, Andrea R.; Buffington, John M.; Chappell, Linda M.; DeRose, R. Justin; Guyon, John C., II.; Jorgensen, Carl L.; Loehman, Rachel A.; Lowrey, Laura L.; Lynch, Ann M.; Matyjasik, Marek; McMillin, Joel D.; Mercado, Javier E.; Morris, Jesse L.; Negron, Jose F.; Padgett, Wayne G.; Progar, Robert A.; Randall, Carol B. 2018. Effects of climate change on ecological disturbances Chapter 8.
- Witt, Chris ; DeRose, R. Justin; Goeking, Sara A.; Shaw, John D. 2018. Idaho s forest resources, 2006-2015.
- Stagge, J. H.; Rosenberg, D. E.; DeRose, R. J.; Rittenour, T. M. 2018. Monthly paleostreamflow reconstruction from annual tree-ring chronologies.
- Klesse, Stefan ; DeRose, R. Justin; Guiterman, Christopher H.; Lynch, Ann M.; O’Connor, Christopher D.; Shaw, John D.; Evans, Margaret E. K. 2018. Sampling bias overestimates climate change impacts on forest growth in the southwestern United States.
- Babst, Flurin ; Bodesheim, Paul ; Charney, Noah ; Friend, Andrew D.; Girardin, Martin P.; Klesse, Stefan ; Moore, David J. P.; Seftigen, Kristina ; Bjorklund, Jesper ; Bouriaud, Olivier ; Dawson, Andria ; DeRose, R. Justin; Dietze, Michael C.; Eckes, Annemarie H.; Enquist, Brian ; Frank, David C.; Mahecha, Miguel D.; Poulter, Benjamin ; Record, Sydne ; Trouet, Valerie ; Turton, Rachael H.; Zhang, Zhen ; Evans, Margaret E. K. 2018. When tree rings go global: Challenges and opportunities for retro- and prospective insight.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Shaw, John D.; Goeking, Sara A.; Marcille, Kate ; McIver, Chelsea P.; Menlove, Jim ; Morgan, Todd A.; Witt, Chris . 2018. Wyoming s forest resources, 2011-2015.
- DeRose, Robert J.; Shaw, John D.; Long, James N. 2017. Building the Forest Inventory and Analysis Tree-Ring Data set.
- Carter, Vachel A.; Brunelle, Andrea; Minckley, Thomas A.; Shaw, John D.; DeRose, R. Justin; Brewer, Simon. 2017. Climate variability and fire effects on quaking aspen in the central Rocky Mountains, USA.
- Thompson, Michael T.; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Chris; Werstak, Charles E., Jr..; Amacher, Michael C.; Goeking, Sara A.; DeRose, R. Justin; Morgan, Todd A.; Sorenson, Colin B.; Hayes, Steven W.; Menlove, Jim. 2017. Colorado's forest resources, 2004-2013.
- Wurtsbaugh, Wayne A.; Miller, Craig; Null, Sarah E.; DeRose, R. Justin; Wilcock, Peter; Hahnenberger, Maura; Howe, Frank; Moore, Johnnie. 2017. Decline of the world's saline lakes.
- Barandiaran, Daniel; Simon Wang, S.-Y.; DeRose, R. Justin. 2017. Gridded snow water equivalent reconstruction for Utah using Forest Inventory and Analysis tree-ring data.
- Sun, Yan; Bekker, Matthew F.; DeRose, R. Justin; Kjelgren, Roger; Wang, S. -Y. Simon. 2017. Statistical treatment for the wet bias in tree-ring chronologies: A case study from the InteriorWest, USA.
- Brough, April M.; DeRose, R. Justin; Conner, Mary M.; Long, James N. 2017. Summer-fall home-range fidelity of female elk in northwestern Colorado: Implications for aspen management.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Bekker, Matthew F.; Long, James N. 2017. Traumatic resin ducts as indicators of bark beetle outbreaks.
- Derose, R. Justin; Bekker, Matthew F.; Kjelgren, Roger; Buckley, Brendan M.; Speer, James H.; Allen, Eric B. 2016. Dendrochronology of Utah Juniper (Juniperus osteosperma (Torr.) Little).
- Britton, Justin M.; DeRose, R. Justin; Mock, Karen E.; Long, James N. 2016. Herbivory and advance reproduction influence quaking aspen regeneration response to management in southern Utah, USA.
- Morris, Jesse L.; Cottrell, Stuart ; Fettig, Christopher J.; Hansen, Winslow D.; Sherriff, Rosemary L.; Carter, Vachel A.; Clear, Jennifer L.; Clement, Jessica ; DeRose, R. Justin; Hicke, Jeffrey A.; Higuera, Philip E.; Mattor, Katherine M.; Seddon, Alistair W. R.; Seppä, Heikki T.; Stednick, John D.; Seybold, Steven J. 2016. Managing bark beetle impacts on ecosystems and society: priority questions to motivate future research.
- Menlove, James; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Christopher; Werstak, Charles, Jr.; DeRose, R. Justin; Goeking, Sara A.; Amacher, Michael C.; Morgan, Todd A.; Sorenson, Colin B. 2016. Nevada's forest resources, 2004-2013.
- Werstak, Charles E., Jr..; Shaw, John D.; Goeking, Sara A.; Witt, Christopher; Menlove, James; Thompson, Mike T.; DeRose, R. Justin; Amacher, Michael C.; Jovan, Sarah; Morgan, Todd A.; Sorenson, Colin B.; Hayes, Steven W.; McIver, Chelsea P. 2016. Utah's forest resources, 2003-2012.
- DeRose, R. J.; Bekker, M. F.; Wang, S.-Y.; Buckley, B. M.; Kjelgren, R. K.; Bardsley, T.; Rittenour, T. M.; Allen, E. B. 2015. A millennium-length reconstruction of Bear River stream flow, Utah.
- Gillies, Robert R.; Chung, Oi-Yu; Simon Wang, S.-Y.; DeRose, R. Justin; Sun, Yan. 2015. Added value from 576 years of tree-ring records in the prediction of the Great Salt Lake level.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Mock, Karen E.; Long, James N. 2015. Cytotype differences in radial increment provide novel insight into aspen reproductive ecology and stand dynamics.
- Morris, Jesse L.; DeRose, R. Justin; Brunelle, Andrea R. 2015. Long-term landscape changes in a subalpine spruce-fir forest in central Utah, USA.
- Zeppenfeld, Thorsten; Svoboda, Miroslav; DeRose, R. Justin; Heurich, Marco; Muller, Jorg; Cizkova, Pavla; Stary, Martin; Bace, Radek; Donato, Daniel C. 2015. Response of mountain Picea abies forests to stand-replacing bark beetle outbreaks: Neighbourhood effects lead to self-replacement.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Shaw, John D.; Long, James N. 2015. Spatiotemporal patterns of ring-width variability in the northern interior west.
- Bekker, Matthew F.; DeRose, R. Justin; Buckley, Brendan M.; Kjelgren, Roger K.; Gill, Nathan S. 2014. A 576-year Weber River streamflow reconstruction from tree rings for water resource risk assessment in the Wasatch Front, Utah.
- DeRose, Robert J.; Long, James N. 2014. Resistance and resilience: A conceptual framework for silviculture.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Leffler, A. Joshua. 2014. Simulation of quaking aspen potential fire behavior in Northern Utah, USA.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Wang, Shih-Yu; Buckley, Brendan M.; Bekker, Matthew F. 2014. Tree-ring reconstruction of the level of Great Salt Lake, USA.
- DeRose, J.; Wang, S.; Shaw, J. 2014. Using inventory-based tree-ring data as a proxy for historical climate: Investigating the Pacific decadal oscillation and teleconnections.
- Vacchiano, Giorgio; DeRose, R. Justin; Shaw, John D.; Svoboda, Miroslav; Motta, Renzo. 2013. A density management diagram for Norway spruce in the temperate Europe montane region.
- Allen, Eric B.; Rittenour, Tammy M.; DeRose, R. Justin; Bekker, Matthew F.; Kjelgren, Roger; Buckley, Brendan M. 2013. A tree-ring based reconstruction of Logan River streamflow, northern Utah.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Bentz, Barbara J.; Long, James N.; Shaw, John D. 2013. Effect of increasing temperatures on the distribution of spruce beetle in Engelmann spruce forests of the Interior West, USA.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Wang, Shih-Yu; Shaw, John D. 2013. Feasibility of high-density climate reconstruction based on Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) collected tree-ring data.
- Morris, Jesse L.; Brunelle, Andrea; DeRose, R. Justin; Seppa, Heikki; Power, Mitchell J.; Carter, Vachel; Bares, Ryan. 2013. Using fire regimes to delineate zones in a high-resolution lake sediment record from the western United States.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Long, James N. 2012. Drought-driven disturbance history characterizes a southern Rocky Mountain subalpine forest.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Long, James N. 2012. Factors influencing the spatial and temporal dynamics of engelmann spruce mortality during a spruce beetle outbreak on the Markagunt Plateau, Utah.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Wang, W. Shih-Yu (Simon); Shaw, John D. 2012. Investigating Forest Inventory and Analysis-collected tree-ring data from Utah as a proxy for historical climate.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Seymour, Robert S. 2012. Leaf area and structural changes after thinning in even-aged Picea rubens and Abies balsamea stands in Maine, USA.
- Moore, Patrick T.; DeRose, R. Justin; Long, James N.; van Miegroet, Helga. 2012. Using silviculture to influence carbon sequestration in southern Appalachian spruce-fir forests.
- Ex, Seth A.; DeRose, Robert; Long, James N. 2011. Stand development and population dynamics of curlleaf mountain mahogany (Cercocarpus ledifolius Nutt.) woodlands in Utah's Bear River Mountains.
- Sharik, Terry L.; Adair, William; Baker, Fred A.; Battaglia, Michael; Comfort, Emily J.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Delong, Craig; DeRose, R. Justin; Ducey, Mark J.; Harmon, Mark; Levy, Louise; Logan, Jesse A.; O'Brien, Joseph; Palik, Brian J.; Roberts, Scott D.; Rogers, Paul C.; Shinneman, Douglas J.; Spies, Thomas; Taylor, Sarah L.; Woodall, Christopher; Youngblood, Andrew. 2010. Emerging themes in the ecology and management of North American forests.
- DeBlander, Larry T.; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Chris; Menlove, Jim; Thompson, Michael T.; Morgan, Todd A.; DeRose, R. Justin; Amacher, Michael C. 2010. Utah's forest resources, 2000-2005.
|Building the Forest Inventory and Analysis Tree-ring Dataset|
Tree-ring data collected as part of the Forest Inventory and Analysis program in the Interior West is being assembled into a massive dataset wit ...
|Dendrochronology of Utah Juniper|
Annual precision of tree-ring data is often sought for detailed analyses. Important, widespread species such as ponderosa pine and Douglas-fir a ...
|Dendroecological Studies in the Interior West States|
Scientists produce tree ring data in digital format and make progress on data development for growth studies to analyze regional patterns of cli ...
|Predicting Future Spruce Beetle Infestations|
Scientists model the effects of increasing temperatures and forest stand conditions on the likelihood of spruce beetle infestation over time
|Quaking Aspen Response to Management Factors|
There is considerable interest in the growth and mortality of quaking aspen in the western United States. Looking at the past 10 years of silvic ...
|Scientists recontruct the history of snowpack in Utah to help managers plan for future water demand|
Understanding snowpack variability is an important goal of water management; in particular, in the arid west where snow represents a major water ...
|Spatial Variability of Tree Growth in the Interior West|
A fundamental goal of biogeography is to understand the factors that drive spatial and temporal variability in forest growth across large areas. ...
|Traumatic resin ducts indicate past beetle outbreaks|
The formation of traumatic resin ducts in Engelmann spruce represents an important induced defense in response to environmental perturbations. T ...