Robert M. Hubbard
240 West Prospect Road
Contact Robert M. Hubbard
My research focuses on the ecophysiology of forest ecosystems and strives to increase our understanding of how forests respond to disturbance and the role plants play in regulating hydrologic processes. Current research examines how changes in species composition and forest structure alters stream flow in watersheds following mountain pine beetle attack. Other research aims to: quantify the physiological mechanisms that control forest productivity; understand how resource availability controls forest water use; define the role of physiological constraints on species abundance and distribution; and investigate the effects of climate change on ecosystem water and carbon cycling.
- Colorado State University, M.S. Botany 1991
- Colorado State University, Ph.D. Forest Ecology 2000
Featured Publications & Products
- Petrie, M. D.; Bradford, J. B.; Hubbard, R. M.; Lauenroth, W. K.; Andrews, C. M.; Schlaepfer, D. R. 2017. Climate change may restrict dryland forest regeneration in the 21st century.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Elder, Kelly; Negron, Jose. 2013. Changes in transpiration and foliage growth in lodgepole pine trees following mountain pine beetle attack and mechanical girdling.
- Collins, Byron J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Battaglia, Michael A. 2011. Tree regeneration and future stand development after bark beetle infestation and harvesting in Colorado lodgepole pine stands.
- Collins, B. J.; Rhoades, C. C.; Battaglia, M. A.; Hubbard, R. M. 2012. The effects of bark beetle outbreaks on forest development, fuel loads and potential fire behavior in salvage logged and untreated lodgepole pine forests.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Ryan, Michael G.; Elder, Kelly; Rhoades, Charles C. 2005. Seasonal patterns in soil surface CO2 flux under snow cover in 50 and 300 year old subalpine forests.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Stape, Jose; Ryan, Michael G.; Almeida, Auro C.; Rojas, Juan. 2010. Effects of irrigation on water use and water use efficiency in two fast growing Eucalyptus plantations.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Hubbard, Robert; Bazan, Roberto. 2015. Comparison of riparian and upland forest stand structure and fuel loads in beetle infested watersheds, southern Rocky Mountains.
- Pelz, Kristen; Rhoades, C. C.; Hubbard, R. M.; Battaglia, M. A.; Smith, F. W. 2015. Species composition influences management outcomes following mountain pine beetle in lodgepole pine-dominated forests.
- Otto, Marina Shinkai Gentil; Hubbard, Robert M.; Binkley, Dan; Stape, Jose Luis. 2014. Dominant clonal Eucalyptus grandis x urophylla trees use water more efficiently.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Hood, Paul R.; Starr, Banning J.; Tinker, Daniel B.; Elder, Kelly . 2020. Snagfall the first decade after severe bark beetle infestation of high elevation forests in Colorado, USA.
- Hakamada, Rodrigo Eiji; Hubbard, Robert M.; Stape, Jose Luiz; Lima, Walter de Paula; Moreira, Gabriela Goncalves; Ferraz, Silvio Frosini de Barros. 2020. Stocking effects on seasonal tree transpiration and ecosystem water balance in a fast-growing Eucalyptus plantation in Brazil.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Elder, Kelly ; Fornwalt, Paula J.; Schnackenberg, Elizabeth ; Hood, Paul R.; Tinker, Daniel B. 2020. Tree regeneration and soil responses to management alternatives in beetle-infested lodgepole pine forests.
- Daugherty, Ellen E.; McKee, Georgina A.; Bergstrom, Robert ; Burton, Sarah ; Pallud, Celine ; Hubbard, Robert M.; Kelly, Eugene F.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Borch, Thomas . 2019. Hydrogeomorphic controls on soil carbon composition in two classes of subalpine wetlands.
- Pelz, Kristen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Smith, Frederick W. 2018. Severity of overstory mortality influences conifer recruitment and growth in mountain pine beetle-affected forests.
- Fornwalt, Paula J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Harris, Rebecca L.; Faist, Akasha M.; Bowman, William D. 2018. Short-term understory plant community responses to salvage logging in beetle-affected lodgepole pine forests.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Elder, Kelly. 2017. A decade of streamwater nitrogen and forest dynamics after a mountain pine beetle outbreak at the Fraser Experimental Forest, Colorado.
- Hakamada, Rodrigo; Hubbard, Robert M.; Ferraz, Silvio; Stape, Jose Luiz; Lemos, Cristiane. 2017. Biomass production and potential water stress increase with planting density in four highly productive clonal Eucalyptus genotypes.
- Vorster, Anthony G.; Evangelista, Paul H.; Stohlgren, Thomas J.; Kumar, Sunil; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Cheng, Antony S.; Elder, Kelly. 2017. Severity of a mountain pine beetle outbreak across a range of stand conditions in Fraser Experimental Forest, Colorado, United States.
- Petrie, M. D.; Wildeman, A. M.; Bradford, J. B.; Hubbard, Robert; Lauenroth, W. K. 2016. A review of precipitation and temperature control on seedling emergence and establishment for ponderosa and lodgepole pine forest regeneration.
- Millar, David J.; Cooper, David J.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Hubbard, Robert M.; von Fischer, Joseph. 2016. Mountain peatlands range from CO2 sinks at high elevations to sources at low elevations: Implications for a changing climate.
- Dwire, Kathleen; Bazan, Roberto; Hubbard, Robert. 2015. Chapter 13: Forest Attributes and Fuel Loads of Riparian vs. Upland Stands in Mountain Pine Beetle-Infested Watersheds, Southern Rocky Mountains (Project INT-EM-F-11-01).
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Bazan, Roberto A.; Hubbard, Robert. 2015. Forest attributes and fuel loads of riparian vs. upland stands in mountain pine beetle infested watersheds, southern Rocky Mountains Chapter 13.
- Matonis, M.; Hubbard, R.; Gebert, K.; Hahn, B.; Regan, C. 2014. Future Forests Webinar Series, Webinar Proceedings and Summary: Ongoing Research and Management Responses to the Mountain Pine Beetle Outbreak.
- Collins, Bryon J.; Rhoades, Chuck C.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Hubbard, Robert M. 2012. Effects of salvage logging on fire risks after bark beetle outbreaks in Colorado lodgepole pine forests.
- Malcolm, Karl; Rhoades, Chuck; Battaglia, Michael; Fornwalt, Paula; Hubbard, Rob; Elder, Kelly; Collins, Byron. 2012. From death comes life: Recovery and revolution in the wake of epidemic outbreaks of mountain pine beetle.
- Jolly, W. Matt; Parsons, Russell A.; Hadlow, Ann M.; Cohn, Greg M.; McAllister, Sara S.; Popp, John B.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Negron, Jose F. 2012. Relationships between moisture, chemistry, and ignition of Pinus contorta needles during the early stages of mountain pine beetle attack.
- Collins, Byron J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Underhill, Jeffrey; Hubbard, Robert M. 2010. Post-harvest seedling recruitment following mountain pine beetle infestation of Colorado lodgepole pine stands: A comparison using historic survey records.
- Ford, Chelcy R.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Vose, James M. 2010. Quantifying structural and physiological controls on variation in canopy transpiration among planted pine and hardwood species in the southern Appalachians.
- Ford, Chelcy R.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Kloeppel, Brian D.; Vose, James M. 2007. A comparison of sap flux-based evapotranspiration estimates with catchment-scale water balance.
- Elder, Kelly; Dwire, Kate; Hubbard, Robert; Rhoades, Charles; Ryan, Sandra; Young, Mike; Porth, Laurie; Dixon, Mark; Goodbody, Angue. 2006. Second interagency conference on research in the watersheds.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Vose, James M.; Clinton, Barton D.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Knoepp, Jennifer D. 2004. Stand restoration burning in oak-pine forests in the southern Applachians: effects on aboveground biomass and carbon and nitrogen cycling.
|Still Standing: Snagfall the First Decade After Severe Bark Beetle Infestation|
Post-bark beetle outbreak snagfall dynamics create a multiple-decade legacy that will persist longer in high-elevation compared to lower-elevati ...