Research Forester and Ecosystem Services Team Leader
620 SW Main
Contact Robert Deal
I conduct research that focuses primarily on ecosystem services and sustainable forest management. I direct, develop, and integrate a research program on ecosystem services, and provide expertise in forest products, economics, social science, and silvicultural practices to enhance compatible forest management for the ecosystem services research team in Oregon, Washington and Alaska.
- Applied silviculture
- Ecosystem services
- Stand development
- Sustainable forest management
My past work has focused on stand dynamics, conifer regeneration, wood quality research, alternatives to clearcutting, alder-conifer mixtures, sustainable forest management, and the provision of ecosystem services on private and public lands.
Why This Research is Important
Ecosystem services has emerged as a way of framing and describing the comprehensive benefits that people receive from nature. These benefits include commonly recognized services such as food, clean water and timber, as well as regulating and cultural services. Sustainable forest management is critical to maintain these services for current and future generations and silvicultual research is an important tool to enhance sustainable forestry.
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Forest Resources 1999
- University of Washington, M.S. Silviculture 1987
- The Evergreen State College, B.S. Biology 1978
- Research Forester & Ecosystem Services Team leader, PNW Research Station
2007 - Current
- Research Forester, PNW Research Station
2001 - 2007
I conduct research that primarily focuses on ecosystem services and sustainable forest management. I direct, develop and integrate a research program for ecosystem services and provide leadership for forest products, silviculture, economics and social science to enhance compatible forest management.
Featured Publications & Products
- Deal, Robert L.; Cochran, Bobby; LaRocco, Gina. 2012. Bundling of ecosystem services to increase forestland value and enhance sustainable forest management.
- Smith, Nikola; Deal, Robert; Kline, Jeff; Blahna, Dale; Patterson, Trista; Spies, Thomas A.; Bennett, Karen. 2011. Ecosystem services as a framework for forest stewardship: Deschutes National Forest overview.
- Simonèiè, Tina; Spies, Thomas A.; Deal, Robert L.; Bonèina, Andrej. 2015. A conceptual framework for characterizing forest areas with high societal values: experiences from the Pacific Northwest of USA and Central Europe.
- LaRocco, Gina L.; Deal, Robert L. 2011. Giving credit where credit is due: increasing landowner compensation for ecosystem services.
- Deal, Robert; Fong, Lisa; Phelps, Erin, tech. eds..; Weidner, Emily; Epstein, Jonas; Herbert, Tommie; Snieckus, Mary; Smith, Nikola; Ellersick, Tania; Arthaud, Greg, authors. 2017. Integrating ecosystem services into national Forest Service policy and operations.
- Deal, Robert L.; Hennon, Paul; O'Hanlon, Richard; D'Amore, David. 2014. Lessons from native spruce forests in Alaska: managing Sitka spruce plantations worldwide to benefit biodiversity and ecosystem services.
- Oliver, Marie; Deal, Robert; Smith, Nikola; Blahna, Dale; Kline, Jeff. 2016. What people value: an ecosystem services approach to managing public lands.
- Deal, Robert; Orlikowska, Ewa; D’Amore, David; Hennon, Paul. 2017. Red alder-conifer stands in Alaska: An example of mixed species management to enhance structural and biological complexity.
- Deal, Robert L.; Raymond, Crystal; Peterson, David L.; Glick, Cindy. 2010. Ecosystem services and climate change: Understanding the differences and identifying opportunities for forest carbon.
- Deal, Robert L.; Harrington, Constance A., eds. 2006. Red alder: a state of knowledge..
- Binder, Seth; Haight, Robert G.; Polasky, Stephen; Warziniack, Travis; Mockrin, Miranda H.; Deal, Robert L.; Arthaud, Greg. 2017. Assessment and valuation of forest ecosystem services: State of the science review.
- Deal, Robert L. 2017. Continuous cover forestry as part of sustainable forest management in the Pacific Northwest, USA.
- Deal, Robert L.; Smith, Nikola; Gates, Joe. 2017. Ecosystem services to enhance sustainable forest management in the US: moving from forest service national programmes to local projects in the Pacific Northwest.
- Schroder, Svetlana A. (Kushch); Toth, Sandor F.; Deal, Robert L.; Ettl, Gregory J. 2016. Multi-objective optimization to evaluate tradeoffs among forest ecosystem services following fire hazard reduction in the Deschutes National Forest, USA.
- Deal, Robert L; Stanton, Sharon; Betts, Matthew; Yang, Zhiqiang. 2015. Early-seral stand age and forest structural changes in public and private forestlands in Western Oregon and Washington.
- Deal, Robert L. 2014. Role of online journals and peer-reviewed research.
- Deal, Robert L.; White, Rachel. 2012. Integrating forest products with ecosystem services: a global perspective.
- Anderson, William F.; Steiner, Jeffery; Raper, Randy; Vogel, Ken; Coffelt, Terry; Sharratt, Brenton; Rummer, Bob; Deal, Robert L.; Rudie, Alan. 2011. The Creation and Role of the USDA Biomass Research Centers.
- Deal, R.L. 2010. Climate change and carbon sequestration opportunities on national forests.
- Deal, Robert L.; Heithecker, Troy; Zenner, Eric K. 2010. Comparison of tree size structure and growth for partially harvested and even-aged hemlock-spruce stands in southeast Alaska.
- Levy, Louise S.Y.; Deal, Robert L.; Tappeiner, John C. 2010. The density and distribution of Sitka spruce and western hemlock seedling banks in partially harvested stands in southeast Alaska.
- Deal, Robert L. 2009. Forestry in Japan has similarities to PNW.
- Deal, Robert L. 2008. Integrated restoration of forested ecosystems to achieve multiresource benefits: proceedings of the 2007 national silviculture workshop..
- Gomi, Takashi; Johnson, Adelaide C.; Deal, Robert L.; Hennon, Paul E.; Orlikowska, Ewa H.; Wipfli, Mark S. 2006. Factors affecting distribution of wood, detritus, and sediment in headwater streams draining managed young-growth red alder-conifer forests in southeast Alaska.
- Hanley, Thomas A.; Deal, Robert L.; Orlikowska, Ewa H. 2006. Relations between red alder composition and understory vegetation in young mixed forests of southeast Alaska..
- Deal, Robert L.; White, Seth M., eds. 2005. Understanding key issues of sustainable wood production in the Pacific Northwest..
- Deal, Robert L.; Hennon, Paul E.; Orlikowska, Ewa H.; D'Amore, David V. 2004. Stand dynamics of mixed red alder-conifer forests of southeast Alaska..
- Wipfli, Mark S.; Deal, Robert L.; Hennon, Paul E.; Johnson, Adelaide C.; Edwards, Richard T.; De Santo, Toni L.; Gomi, Takashi; Orlikowska, Ewa H.; Bryant, Mason D.; Schultz, Mark E.; LeSage, Christian; Kimbirauskus, Ryan; D'Amore, David V. 2003. Compatible management of red alder-conifer ecosystems in southeastern Alaska..
- Deal, Robert L.; Barbour, R. James; McClellan, Michael H.; Parry, Dean L. 2003. Development of epicormic sprouts in Sitka spruce following thinning and pruning in south-east Alaska..
- Deal, Robert L.; Tappeiner, J.C.; Hennon, Paul E. 2002. Developing silvicultural systems based on partial cutting in western hemlock Sitka spruce stands of southeast Alaska..
- Wipfli, Mark S.; Deal, Robert L.; Hennon, Paul E.; Johnson, Adelaide C.; de Santo, Toni L.; Hanley, Thomas A.; Schultz, Mark E.; Bryant, Mason D.; Edwards, Richard T.; Orlikowska, Ewa H.; Gomi, Takashi. 2002. Managing young upland forests in southeast Alaska for wood products, wildlife, aquatic resources, and fishes: problem analysis and study plan..
- Deal, Robert L.; Tappeiner, John C. 2002. The effects of partial cutting on stand structure and growth of western hemlockSitka spruce stands in southeast Alaska..
- Deal, Robert L. 2001. The effects of partial cutting on forest plant communities of western hemlockSitka spruce stands in southeast Alaska..
- McClellan, Michael H.; Swanston, Douglas N.; Hennon, Paul E.; Deal, Robert L.; de Santo, Toni L.; Wipfli, Mark S. 2000. Alternatives to clearcutting in the old-growth forests of southeast Alaska: study plan and establishment report..
- Deal, Robert L. 1997. Understory plant diversity in riparian alder-conifer stands after logging in southeast Alaska..
|A strategy for ecosystem services|
The Forest Service is poised to be a leader in the integration of ecosystem services concepts for forestland managers. This report demonstrates ...