620 SW Main, Suite 502
Contact Rachel White
My job gives me the opportunity to learn about human interactions and how communication can help us better understand our world and each other. I am interested in communicating science in diverse ways, developing effective strategies to help programs run successfully, using plain language, and designing information products that are visually appealing and audience-appropriate.
"Plain language" is communication your audience will understand the first time they read it. Obama signed the Plain Writing Act in 2010, requiring federal agencies to use clear prose in communication with the public. Communicating science using plain language keeps your readers from falling asleep or walking out, and it does not require dumbing research down. Einstein said, "Most of the fundamental ideas of science are essentially simple, and may, as a rule, be expressed in a language comprehensible to everyone."
- Portland State University, M.S. Professional writing 2009
- Oberlin College, B.S. Biology and English 1993
- Federal Communicators Network, Member (2011 - Current)
Board member. In charge of speaker recruitment.
Featured Publications & Products
- Rainville, Robert; White, Rachel; Barbour, Jamie, tech. eds. 2008. Assessment of timber availability from forest restoration within the Blue Mountains of Oregon..
- White, Rachel; McCaffrey, Sarah. 2007. Fuels planning: science synthesis and integration.
- White, Rachel; Molina, Randy. 2006. The Pacific Northwest Research Station biodiversity initiative: scooping out the challenges in managing for biodiversity..
- Nelson, Peter; White, Rachel; Molina, Randy. 2006. The Pacific Northwest Research Station biodiversity initiative: collaborating for biodiversity management..
- Hessburg, Paul F.; Charnley, Susan ; Wendel, Kendra L.; White, Eric M.; Singleton, Peter H.; Peterson, David W.; Halofsky, Jessica E.; Gray, Andrew N.; Spies, Thomas A.; Flitcroft, Rebecca L.; White, Rachel . 2020. The 1994 Eastside Screens large-tree harvest limit: review of science relevant to forest planning 25 years later.
- White, Rachel ; Prevey, Janet ; Hollingsworth, Teresa ; Andersen, Hans . 2019. Warming in the Cold North.
- White, Rachel ; Johnson, Morris ; Vaillant, Nicole ; Fried, Jeremy . 2018. Fuel treatments: Are we doing enough.
- White, Rachel; Hessburg, Paul; Larkin, Sim; Varner, Morgan. 2017. Smoke in a new era of fire.
- White, Rachel; Charnley, Susan; Grant, Gordon; Rowland, Mary; Wisdom, Michael. 2016. Restoring rivers, sustaining communities.
- White, Rachel; Nicholls, David; Brackley, Allen; Deering, Robert. 2015. Alaska s energy anxiety.
- Meyer, Rachelle S.; Nicholls, David L.; Patterson, Trista M.; White, Rachel E. 2013. Energy efficiency in U.S. Forest Service facilities: a multiregion review.
- White, Rachel; Mazza, Rhonda. 2011. Landscape models: helping land managers think big.
Last updated on : 09/25/2020