Research Wildlife Biologist
1133 N. Western Avenue
Contact Peter Singleton
My current research projects include; Effects of forest restoration treatments on northern spotted owl prey abundance in the Eastern Cascades; Effects of wildfire and forest restoration treatments on northern goshawks in the Colville National Forest; Assessing effects of climate change on wildlife and habitats in south-central Oregon; Developing and applying methods to assess regional-scale habitat connectivity patterns; Individual-based population simulation modeling to evaluate the effects of disturbance and landscape change on sensitive wildlife populations.
My research focuses on understanding the relationship between animal populations, landscape patterns, landscape change, and disturbance processes. I employ field studies, spatial analysis, and simulation models to evaluate the effects of landscape change on wildlife distribution and population function.
Past research projects have included; Assessing the compatibility of fuel treatments, fire risk, and conservation of northern spotted owl habitats and populations in the Eastern Cascades (a multi-scale, multi-process simulation study); Interactions between northern spotted owls and barred owls in the Eastern Cascades, Washington; Barred owl space use and habitat selection in the Eastern Cascades, Washington; Movements and herbivory of elk in the Yakima Basin, Washington; Multi-objective decision making in land management using Pareto optimality (Fuelsolve); Landscape permeability for large carnivores in Washingon; Assessment of wildlife movement and habitat linkage patterns near Interstate-90 Snoqualmie Pass, Washington; Winter habitat selection and habitual movement routes of wolves in the North Fork of the Flathead River Basin, Montana and British Columbia.
- University of Washington, Seattle WA, Ph.D. Forest Resources
- University of Montana, Missoula MT, M.S. Resource Conservation
- The Evergreen State College, Olympia WA, B.S. Environmental Science
Featured Publications & Products
- Singleton, Peter J.; Lehnkuhl, John F.; Gaines, William L.; Graham, Scott A. 2010. Barred owl space use and habitat selection in the eastern Cascades, Washington.
- Kennedy, Maureen C.; Ford, E. David; Singleton, Peter; Finney, Mark; Agee, James K. 2008. Informed multi-objective decision-making in environmental management using Pareto optimality.
- Gaines, William L.; Singleton, Peter H.; Ross, Roger C. 2003. Assessing the cumulative effects of linear recreation routes on wildlife habitats on the Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests..
- Singleton, Peter H.; Gaines, William L.; Lehmkuhl, John F. 2002. Landscape permeability for large carnivores in Washington: a geographic information system weighted-distance and least-cost corridor assessment..
- Hessburg, Paul F.; Charnley, Susan ; Wendel, Kendra L.; White, Eric M.; Singleton, Peter H.; Peterson, David W.; Halofsky, Jessica E.; Gray, Andrew N.; Spies, Thomas A.; Flitcroft, Rebecca L.; White, Rachel . 2020. The 1994 Eastside Screens large-tree harvest limit: review of science relevant to forest planning 25 years later.
- Lesmeister, Damon B.; Davis, Raymond J.; Singleton, Peter H.; Wiens, J. David. 2018. Chapter 4: Northern spotted owl habitat and populations: status and threats.
- Lyons, Andrea L.; Gaines, William L.; Singleton, Peter H.; Kasworm, Wayne F.; Proctor, Michael F.; Begley, James . 2018. Spatially explicit carrying capacity estimates to inform species specific recovery objectives: Grizzly bear (Ursus arctos) recovery in the North Cascades.
- Spies, Thomas A.; White, Eric; Ager, Alan; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Bolte, John P.; Platt, Emily K.; Olsen, Keith A.; Pabst, Robert J.; Barros, Ana M. G.; Bailey, John D.; Charnley, Susan; Morzillo, Anita T.; Koch, Jennifer; Steen-Adams, Michelle M.; Singleton, Peter H.; Sulzman, James; Schwartz, Cynthia; Csuti, Blair. 2017. Using an agent-based model to examine forest management outcomes in a fire-prone landscape in Oregon, USA.
- Hessburg, Paul F.; Spies, Thomas A.; Perry, David A.; Skinner, Carl N.; Taylor, Alan H.; Brown, Peter M.; Stephens, Scott L.; Larson, Andrew J.; Churchill, Derek J.; Povak, Nicholas A.; Singleton, Peter H.; McComb, Brenda; Zielinski, William J.; Collins, Brandon M.; Salter, R. Brion; Keane, John J.; Franklin, Jerry F.; Riegel, Greg. 2016. Tamm Review: Management of mixed-severity fire regime forests in Oregon, Washington, and Northern California.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Singleton, Peter H.; Schumaker, Nathan H. 2015. Analysis of sensitivity and uncertainty in an individual-based model of a threatened wildlife species.
- Krosby, Meade; Breckheimer, Ian; John Pierce, D.; Singleton, Peter H.; Hall, Sonia A.; Halupka, Karl C.; Gaines, William L.; Long, Robert A.; McRae, Brad H.; Cosentino, Brian L.; Schuett-Hames, Joanne P. 2015. Focal species and landscape "naturalness" corridor models offer complementary approaches for connectivity conservation planning.
- Singleton, Peter H. 2015. Forest structure within barred owl (Strix varia) home ranges in the eastern cascade range, Washington.
- Hessburg, Paul F.; Churchill, Derek J.; Larson, Andrew J.; Haugo, Ryan D.; Miller, Carol; Spies, Thomas A.; North, Malcolm P.; Povak, Nicholas A.; Belote, R. Travis; Singleton, Peter H.; Gaines, William L.; Keane, Robert E.; Aplet, Gregory H.; Stephens, Scott L.; Morgan, Penelope; Bisson, Peter A.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Salter, R. Brion; Reeves, Gordon H. 2015. Restoring fire-prone Inland Pacific landscapes: seven core principles.
- Stine, Peter; Hessburg, Paul; Spies, Thomas; Kramer, Marc; Fettig, Christopher J.; Hansen, Andrew; Lehmkuhl, John; O'Hara, Kevin; Polivka, Karl; Singleton, Peter; Charnley, Susan; Merschel, Andrew; White, Rachel. 2014. The ecology and management of moist mixed-conifer forests in eastern Oregon and Washington: a synthesis of the relevant biophysical science and implications for future land management.
- Nuñez, Tristan A.; Lawler, Joshua J.; McRae, Brad H.; Pierce, D. John; Krosby, Meade B.; Kavanagh, Darren M.; Singleton, Peter H.; Tewksbury, Joshua J. 2013. Connectivity planning to address climate change.
- Lehmkuhl, John F.; Lyons, Andrea L.; Bracken, Edd; Leingang, Jodi; Gaines, William L.; Dodson, Erich Kyle; Singleton, Peter H. 2013. Forage composition, productivity, and utilization in the Eastern Washington Cascade Range.
- Lehmkuhl, John F.; Lyons, Andrea L.; Bracken, Edd; Leingang, Jodi; Gaines, William L.; Dodson, Erich K.; Singleton, Peter H. 2013. Forage composition, productivity, and utilization in the eastern Washington Cascade Range.
|Fire as a tool|
Landscape-scale forest restoration programs that incorporate managed wildfire and prescribed fire lead to more pronounced reductions in fire sev ...
|Forest Structure Characteristics Within Barred Owl Home Ranges are Similar to Areas Used by Spotted Owls|
Competitive interactions with barred owls are an important factor contributing to the population decline of the threatened northern spotted owl. ...