Natl. Prog. Lead - Urban Sustainability
1400 Independence Ave., SW
District of Columbia
Contact Phillip Rodbell
- North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, Masters Of Science In Forestry Urban Forestry, Public Administration, Landscape Architecture 1988
- University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Bachelor Of Science, Forest Resources Urban Forestry, Planning, Environmental Horticulture 1982
- Regional Program Lead, Urban and Community Forestry, USFS Northeastern Area State and Private Forestry, Newtown Square, PA
1999 - 2018
Provided overall leadership in delivering federally funded action to plant and improve community trees and forests in the 21 states that make up the Midwest, New England, and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States.
- Urban Forestry Coordinator, Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management, Boston, MA
1994 - 1999
Delivered technical and financial assistance to local governments and nonprofit organizations supporting their efforts to plant and improve the health of community trees and forests.
- Community Action Forester, Washington State Department of Natural Resources, Olympia, WA
1992 - 1994
Facilitated development of local government programs and nonprofit organizations that plant and improve the health of community trees and forests.
- Urban Forester, Managing Editor, National Urban Forest Council Secretary, American Forests, Washington, DC
1989 - 1992
Provided program support to State and Local governments and nonprofit organizations in developing and implementing the award-winning public outreach campaign, Global ReLeaf. Served as Secretary for the National Urban Forest Council and liaison to other nonprofit groups, corporate sponsors, and governmental agencies. Prepared testimony for congressional hearings, and coordinated efforts to build consensus toward the successful passage of the 1990 Farm Bill. Wrote/edited national bimonthly Urban Forests Magazine, expanding readership from 8,000 to 32,000 readers. Coordinated development of national conference programs, speaker selection, local arrangements, and edited conference proceedings.
- Peace Corps Volunteer, Peace Corps, Honduras
1983 - 1986
Supported local farmers to improve agroforestry production of crops and fruit. Served as first urban forester for the capitol city of Tegucigalpa.
Awards & Recognition
- Eastern Region Honor Award , 2018
Helped to develop and establish Urban Forest Strike Team, responding to natural disasters in cities.
- Award of Merit, 2018
From the Society of Municipal Arborists in recognition of decades of skilled leadership and meritorious accomplishments at the local, regional, and national levels including development of a network of State Liaisons.
- Chiefs Honor Award, 2017
Contributions to The Urban Waters Federal Partnership
- Certificate of Merit, 2011
For Exceptional Performance as Acting Deputy Director for Eastern Forest Environmental Threat Assessment Center
- Outstanding Performance Award , 2007
For conducting a landscape-level analysis of metropolitan areas, spearheading interdisciplinary work, and creating a bridge with EPA Region 3
- Chief's Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, 2004
Creating OASIS NYC
- Chief's Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, 2003
Living Memorials Project – creating 50 living memorials and tools for a nationwide network
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
- Konijnendijk, C.C.; Rodbell, P; Salbitano, F; et al. 2018. The Changing Governance of Urban Forests. Unasylva 69(250):37-42
- Rodbell, Phillip et al. 2018. "Philadelphia: a "green contrie towne". In Forests and Sustainable Cities: Inspiring stories from around the world. Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) publication: pages 61-66. www.fao.org/publications
- Rodbell, Phillip. 2016. "USA Urban and Community Forestry Program". Page 21-23. In proceedings: FAO. 2016. Towards a Greener, Healthier, and Happier Future: The 1st Asia-Pacific Urban Forestry Meeting. Zhuhai, China, 6-8 April 2016. Urban and Peri-urban Forestry Working Paper No. 11. Rome. http://www.fao.org/3/a-i6161e.pdf
Last updated on : 08/07/2019