Martin G. Raphael
3625 93rd Ave SW
Contact Martin G. Raphael
My current work is exploring the population ecology of the marbled murrelet, a threatened seabird that nests on limbs of large coniferous trees in coastal zones of the Pacific Northwest. I also am investigating habitat relationships of the northern spotted owl and American marten.
Wildlife ecology and habitat relationships; population dynamics; ecology and management of threatened, endangered, or sensitive wildlife.
My past work focused on the ecology of cavity-nesting birds, efficacy of riparian buffer systems on sensitive wildlife, and habitat relations of vertebrates associated with older forests.
Why This Research is Important
My work helps inform land managers about potential effects of alternative land management options on wildlife and provides information to help guide development of new management options. My research helps to advance the science of wildlife management.
- California State University, Sacramento, B.A. Social Sciences 1968
- University of California Berkeley, B.S. Conservation of Natural Resources 1972
- University of California Berkeley, Ph.D. Wildlife Ecology 1980
- Cooper Ornithological Society, President (2015 - Current)
- Association of Field Ornithologists, Board Member (2014 - Current)
- The Wildlife Society, Associate Editor (2004 - 2007)
Journal of Wildlife Management
- Ecological Society of America, Associate Editor (1994 - 1997)
- The Wildlife Society, Associate Editor (1987 - 1991)
The Wildlife Society Bulletin
Awards & Recognition
- Recovery Champion, 2012
US Fish and Wildlife Service Endangered Species award for contributions to Northern Spotted Owl recovery team
- Wings across the Americas award, 2009
Research and partnership award for studeis of the ecology and population dynamics of Marbled Murrelet in the Pacific Northwest
- Honor Award, 2001
USFS Chief's honor award for superior science for sustained contributions of wildlife research applied to critical land management issues in the Pacific Northwest.
- Outstanding publication, the Wildlife Society, 1997
For Demography of the Northern Spotted Owl, Studies in Avian Biology No. 17
- Certificate of Commendation, U.S. Department of Justice, 1995
For outstanding performance and invaluable assistance in support of the Environment and Natural Resources Division
Featured Publications & Products
- Burger, Alan E.; Manley, Irene A.; Silvergieter, Michael P.; Lank, David B.; Jordan, Kevin M.; Bloxton, Thomas D.; Raphael, Martin G. 2009. Re-use of nest sites by marbled murrelets (Brachyramphus marmoratus) in British Columbia.
- Peery, M. Zachariah; Hall, Laurie A.; Anna, Sellas; Beissinger, Steven R.; Moritz, Craig; Berube, Martine; Raphael, Martin G.; Nelson, S. Kim; Golightly, Richard T.; McFarlane-Tranquilla, Laura; Newman, Scott H.; Palsboll, Per J. 2009. Genetic analyses of historic and modern marbled murrelets suggest decoupling of migration and gene flow after habitat fragmentation.
- Hall, Laurie A.; Palsboll, Per J.; Beissinger, Steven R.; Harvey, James T.; Berube, Martine; Raphael, Martin G.; Nelson, Kim; Golightly, Richard T.; McFarlane-Tranquilla, Laura; Newman, Scott H.; Peery, M. Zachariah. 2009. Characterizing dispersal patterns in a threatened seabird with limited genetic structure.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Baldwin, Jim; Falxa, Gary A.; Huff, Mark H.; Lance, Monique; Miller, Sherri L.; Pearson, Scott F.; Ralph, C. John; Strong, Craig; Thompson, Chris. 2007. Regional population monitoring of the marbled murrelet: field and analytical methods..
- Franklin, Jerry F.; Carey, Andrew B.; Courtney, Steven P.; Marzluff, John M.; Raphael, Martin G.; Tappeiner, John C.; Thornburgh, Dale A. 2007. Managing Second-Growth Forests in the Redwood Region for Accelerated Development of Marbled Murrelet Nesting Habitat.
- Spies, Thomas A.; Long, Jonathan W.; Stine, Peter ; Charnley, Susan ; Cerveny, Lee ; Marcot, Bruce G.; Reeves, Gordon ; Hessburg, Paul F.; Lesmeister, Damon ; Reilly, Matthew J.; Raphael, Martin G.; Davis, Raymond J. 2018. Chapter 12: Integrating ecological and social science to inform land management in the area of the northwest forest plan.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Falxa, Gary A.; Burger, Alan E. 2018. Chapter 5: Marbled murrelet.
- Lorenz, Teresa J.; Raphael, Martin G. 2018. Declining Marbled Murrelet density, but not productivity, in the San Juan Islands, Washington, USA.
- Wilk, Randall ; Raphael, Martin G. 2018. Survival and predators of Pacific Marten in a salvage-logged pine forest, South-Central Oregon.
- Wilk, Randall J; Raphael, Martin G. 2017. Food habits of Pacific Marten from scats in south-central Oregon.
- Lorenz, Teresa J.; Raphael, Martin G.; Bloxton, Thomas D.; Cunningham, Patrick G. 2016. Low breeding propensity and wide-ranging movements by marbled murrelets in Washington.
- Lorenz, Teresa J.; Raphael, Martin G.; Bloxton, Thomas D.; Hagen, Christian Andrew. 2016. Marine habitat selection by marbled murrelets (Brachyramphus marmoratus) during the breeding season.
- Wilk, Randall J.; Raphael, Martin G.; Bloxton, Thomas D. 2016. Nesting habitat characteristics of Marbled Murrelets occurring in near-shore waters of the Olympic Peninsula, Washington.
- Falxa, Gary A.; Raphael, Martin G. 2016. Northwest Forest Plan the first 20 years (1994 2013): status and trend of marbled murrelet populations and nesting habitat.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Shirk, Andrew J.; Falxa, Gary A.; Pearson, Scott F. 2015. Habitat associations of marbled murrelets during the nesting season in nearshore waters along the Washington to California coast.
- Lorenz, Teresa J.; Vierling, Kerri T.; Kozma, Jeffrey M.; Millard, Janet E.; Raphael, Martin G. 2015. Space use by white-headed woodpeckers and selection for recent forest disturbances.
- Dunk, Jeffrey R.; Woodbridge, Brian; Glenn, Elizabeth M.; Davis, Raymond J.; Fitzgerald, Katherine; Henson, Paul; LaPlante, David W.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Noon, Barry R.; Raphael, Martin G.; Schumaker, Nathan H.; White, Brendan. 2015. The scientific basis for modeling Northern Spotted Owl habitat: A response to Loehle, Irwin, Manly, and Merrill.
- Wilk, Randall J.; Ricklefs, Jeffrey D.; Raphael, Martin G. 2014. Abundance of western red-backed salamanders (Plethodon vehiculum) in the Washington Coast Range after headwater stream-buffer manipulation.
- Aubry, Keith B.; Raphael, Martin G.; Oliver, Marie. 2014. Martens, sables, and fishers: new synthesis informs management and conservation.
- Shirk, Andrew J.; Raphael, Martin G.; Cushman, Samuel A. 2014. Spatiotemporal variation in resource selection: Insights from the American marten (Martes Americana).
- Johnson, Tracey N.; Buskirk, Steven W.; Hayward, Gregory D.; Raphael, Martin G. 2014. Tree mortality after synchronized forest insect outbreaks: effects of tree species, bole diameter, and cutting history.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Falxa, Gary A.; O'Callaghan, Joan. 2013. From trees to seas--Marbled Murrelet numbers are down.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Raphael, Martin G.; Schumaker, Nathan H.; Galleher, Beth. 2013. How big and how close Habitat patch size and spacing to conserve a threatened species.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Wilk, Randall J. 2013. The riparian ecosystem management study: response of small mammals to streamside buffers in western Washington.
- Miller, Sherri L.; Raphael, Martin G.; Falxa, Gary A.; Strong, Craig; Baldwin, Jim; Bloxton, Thomas; Galleher, Beth M.; Lance, Monique; Lynch, Deanna; Pearson, Scott F.; Ralph, C. John; Young, Richard D. 2012. Recent population decline of the Marbled Murrelet in the Pacific Northwest.
- Shirk, Andrew J.; Wasserman, Tzeidle N.; Cushman, Samuel A.; Raphael, Martin G. 2012. Scale dependency of American marten (Martes americana) habitat relations Chapter 12.
- Wells, Gail; Raphael, Martin; Lorenz, Teresa. 2011. Clark s nutcracker and whitebark pine: Can the birds help the embattled high-country pine survive.
- Cushman, S. A.; Raphael, M. G.; Ruggiero, L. F.; Shirk, A. S.; Wasserman, T. N.; O'Doherty, E. C. 2011. Limiting factors and landscape connectivity: the American marten in the Rocky Mountains.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Falxa, Gary A.; Dugger, Katie M.; Galleher, Beth M.; Lynch, Deanna; Miller, Sherri L.; Nelson, S. Kim; Young, Richard D. 2011. Northwest Forest Plan the first 15 years (1994 2008): status and trend of nesting habitat for the marbled murrelet.
- Wilk, Randall J.; Raphael, Martin G.; Nations, Christopher S.; Ricklefs, Jeffrey D. 2010. Initial response of small ground-dwelling mammals to forest alternative buffers along headwater streams in the Washington Coast Range, USA.
- Thompson, Jonathan; Raphael, Martin; Molina, Randy; Marcot, Bruce; Olson, Deanna. 2008. Conservation of biological diversity: all things considered.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Molina, Randy; Flather, Curtis H.; Holthausen, Richard S.; Johnson, Richard L.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Olson, Deanna H.; Peine, John D.; Sieg, Carolyn Hull; Swanson, Cindy S. 2007. A process for selection and implementation of conservation approaches.
- Raphael, Martin G. 2006. Conservation of the marbled murrelet under the northwest forest plan..
- Huff, Mark H.; Raphael, Martin G.; Miller, Sherri L.; Nelson, S. Kim; Baldwin, Jim, tech. coords. 2006. Northwest Forest Plan the first 10 years (1994-2003): status and trends of populations and nesting habitat for the marbled murrelet..
- Hemstrom, Miles; Raphael, Martin G. 2000. Late-successional forests and northern spotted owls: how effective is the Northwest Forest Plan.
- Lint, Joseph; Noon, Barry; Anthony, Robert; Forsman, Eric; Raphael, Martin; Collopy, Michael; Starkey, Edward. 1999. Northern spotted owl effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan..
- Mulder, Barry S.; Noon, Barry R.; Spies, Thomas A.; Raphael, Martin G.; Palmer, Craig J.; Olsen, Anthony R.; Reeves, Gordon H.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr. 1999. The strategy and design of the effectiveness monitoring program for the Northwest Forest Plan..
- Raphael, M.G.; Anthony, R.G.; DeStefano, S.; Forsman, E.D.; Franklin, A.B.; Holthausen, R.; Meslow, E.C.; Noon, B.R. 1996. Use, interpretation, and implications of demographic analyses of northern spotted owl populations.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Young, John A.; Galleher, Beth M. 1995. Chapter 18: A Landscape-Level Analysis of Marbled Murrelet Habitat in Western Washington.
- Ralph, C. John; Hunt, Jr., George L..; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John F. 1995. Chapter 1: Ecology and Conservation of the Marbled Murrelet in North America: An Overview.
- In: Ralph, C. John; Hunt, George L., Jr..; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John Hunt, Jr. 1995. Chapter 24: Monospecific and Mixed Species Foraging Associations of Marbled Murrelets.
- Ralph, C. John; Hunt, George L., Jr..; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John F. 1995. Ecology and conservation of the Marbled Murrelet.
- Holthausen, Richard S.; Raphael, Martin G.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Forsman, Eric D.; Starkey, Edward E.; Seaman, D. Erran. 1995. The contribution of federal and nonfederal habitat to persistence of the northern spotted owl on the Olympic Peninsula, Washington: report of the reanalysis team..
- Raphael, M.G.; Young, J.A.; McKelvey, A.K.; Galleher, B.M.; Peeler, K.C. 1994. A simulation analysis of population dynamics of the northern spotted owl in relation to forest management alternatives.
- Jones, Lawrence L.C.; Raphael, Martin G. 1993. Inexpensive camera systems for detecting martens, fishers, and other animals: guidelines for use and standardization..
- Thompson, Frank R., III.; Probst, John R.; Raphael, Martin G. 1993. Silvicultural options for neotropical migratory birds.
- Thomas, Ted B.; Lehmkuhl, John F.; Raphael, Martin G.; DeBell, Dean S. 1993. Sites for retrospective studies: opportunities for research in western Washington and Oregon.
- Raphael, M.G.; Harlow, H.J.; Buskirk, S.W. 1991. Estimating body fat by using bioelectrical-impedance measurements: a preliminary assessment..
- Taylor, C.A.; Raphael, M.G. 1988. Identification of mammal tracks from sooted track stations in the Pacific Northwest.
- Morrison, Michael L.; Dedon, Mark F.; Yoder-Williams, Michael P.; Raphael, Martin G. 1986. Distribution and abundance of snags in the Sagehen Creek Basin, California.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Taylor, Cathy A.; Barrett, Reginald H. 1986. Smoked aluminum track stations record flying squirrel occurrence.
|Maps of Marbled Murrelet and Northern Spotted Owl Habitat Look 50 Years Ahead|
Station scientists developed detailed wall-to-wall maps of marbled murrelet and northern spotted owl habitat, both current and 50 years into the ...
|Marbled murrelet populations are declining in the Northwest Forest Plan area|
The marbled murrelet, a seabird, is a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act. The 1996 Northwest Forest Plan is the guiding plan fo ...
|Scientists Study Marbled Murrelet Populations and Nesting Habitat Under the Northwest Forest Plan|
The marbled murrelet is listed as threatened under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. Conservation of the murrelet is an objective of the Northwe ...