Mary E. Mason
359 Main Road
Contact Mary E. Mason
Genetics and resistance breeding of ash species to emerald ash borer
Genetics and resistance breeding of American beech to beech bark disease
genetics and ecology of trees threatened by invasive pests in the US
use of the tools of tree breeding to address forest health problems
Genetics of fusiform rust resistance in Southern Pines
Cytogenetics of Southern Pines
Molecular regulation of the plant circadian clock
Molecular regulation of etiolation and de-etiolation
Why This Research is Important
Invasive plants, insects, and diseases are changing forest often by damaging or killing individual trees, and these impacts are expected to increase in the future. Understanding the genetics of resistance to invasive pests and how it is inherited helps foresters understand if trees may adapt over time. Utilizing resistance in tree breeding programs may allow foresters to preserve or accelerate the recovery of threatened tree species.
- The Ohio State University, B.S. Forestry Forest Biology
- University of Florida, M.S. Forestry Forest Molecular Biology
- Research Associate, The Ohio State University
1998 - 2020
- Biologist, US Forest Service, Southern Research Station, Southern Institute of Forest Genetics
1992 - 1998
Featured Publications & Products
- Koch, J.L. ; Carey, D.W. ; Mason, M.E. ; Poland, T.M. ; Knight, K.S. . 2015. Intraspecific variation in Fraxinus pennsylvanica responses to emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis).
- Mason, Mary E.; Krasowski, Marek; Loo, Judy; Koch, Jennifer. 2011. Comparison of protein profiles of beech bark disease-resistant or beech bark disease-susceptible American beech.
- Carey, David W.; Mason, Mary E.; Bloese, Paul; Koch, Jennifer L. 2013. Hot callusing for propagation of American beech by grafting.
- Koch, Jennifer L.; Carey, David W.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Poland, Therese; Herms, Daniel A.; Mason, Mary E. 2012. Breeding strategies for the development of emerald ash borer - resistant North American ash.
- Koch, Jennifer L.; Mason, Mary E.; Carey, David W. 2012. Screening for resistance to beech bark disease: Improvements and results from seedlings and grafted field selections.
- Koch, Jennifer L.; Carey, David W.; Mason, Mary E.; Nelson, C. Dana; Barakat, Abdelali; Carlson, John E.; Neale, David. 2011. Development of molecular tools for use in beech bark disease management.
- Koch, Jennifer L.; Knight, Kathleen; Poland, Therese; Carey, David W.; Herms, Daniel A.; Mason, Mary E. 2011. Strategies for selecting and breeding EAB-resistant ash.
- Mason, Mary E.; Herms, Daniel A.; Carey, David W.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Faridi, Nurul I.; Koch, Jennifer. 2011. Update on exotic ash collection for hybrid breeding and survey for EAB-resistance in native North American species.
- Koch, Jennifer L.; Carey, David W.; Mason, Mary E.; Islam-Faridi, M. Nurul. 2010. Overcoming obstacles to interspecies hybridization of ash.
- Koch, Jennifer; Carey, Dave; Mason, M.E. 2010. Use of microsatellite markers in an American beech (Fagus grandifolia) population and paternity testing.
- Koch, Jennifer L.; Carey, David W.; Mason, Mary E. 2008. Development of novel ash hybrids to introgress resistance to emerald ash borer into north American ash species.
- Mason, Mary E.; Davis, John M. 1997. Defense Response in Slash Pine: Chitosan Treatment Alters the Abundance of Specific mRNAs.