Mark A. Dietenberger
Research General Engineer
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Contact Mark A. Dietenberger
Research goals are to develop component processes, test methods for thermophysical properties, and physical mathematical modeling for 1) performance-based fire protection engineering related to wood-based materials used in WUI, 2) economical gasification of biomass and synthesis of syngas into biofuels, and 3) fundamentals of wood pyrolysis and combustion essential to wood thermal degradation and fire growth. This work is being used for predicting fire development on exterior building surfaces and ornamental vegetations for WUI fire scenarios. Thermophysical properties derived from modified test apparatuses are provided for NIST?s Wildland Fire Dynamics Simulator as well as for analytical fire growth models, which are provided as a basis for animated-like 3-D fire growth in real time using desktop computers that has Architectural CAD in conjunction with Google Earth. Fundamental knowledge of wood degradation along with prior private-sector research on process analysis of jet turbine engines are being applied to develop new and economical process for small-scale biomass gasification and conversion of syngas to biofuels. A special bench scale apparatus was built using the liquid metal as heat and mass carriers for directly producing syngas statically from wood, with primarily CO and H2 emissions measured. A continuous biomass flow apparatus has been planned and will be built at unique university facility to investigate conversion efficiency. Other projects included the process modeling of conventional biomass gasification and Fischer-Tropsch synthesis as a biorefinery attached to wood and paper mills in the support of the excellent generic business case of the concept. Various research collaborations nationally and internationally are being developed to promote the above research areas.
- Fire growth research as applied to wood products
- Wildland-urban interface fire and moisture science
- Thermochemical biomass to biofuels conversion
Featured Publications & Products
- Dietenberger, Mark A. 2010. Ignition and flame-growth modeling on realistic building and landscape objects in changing environments.
- White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A. 2010. Fire safety of wood construction.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Anderson, Mark. 2007. Vision of the U.S. biofuel future: a case for hydrogen-enriched biomass gasification.
- Dietenberger, Mark. 2012. Pyrolysis kinetics and combustion of thin wood by an advanced cone caorimetry test method.
- Rowell, Roger M.; Dietenberger, Mark A. 2013. Chapter 6: Thermal properties, combustion, and fire retardancy of wood.
- Dietenberger, Mark; Anderson, Mark. 2013. Method and Apparatus to Produce Synthesis Gas Via Flash Pyrolysis and Gasification in a Molten Liquid.
- Dietenberger, Mark; Anderson, Mark. 2011. Method and Apparatus to Produce Synthesis Gas Via Flash Pyrolysis and Gasification in a Molten Liquid.
- Moore, Roderquita K.; Mann, Doreen ; Matt, Frederick ; Dietenberger, Mark ; Weise, David . 2020. Characterization of fetterbush Lyonia lucida liquid extractions.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Boardman, Charles R.; Weise, David R. 2020. New methods for pyrolysis and combustion properties of forest litter: enhanced cone calorimetry with longleaf pine needles.
- Matt, Frederick J.; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Weise, David R. 2020. Summative and ultimate analysis of live leaves from southern U.S. forest plants for use in fire modeling.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Boardman, Charles R.; Shotorban, Babak ; Mell, William ; Weise, David R. 2020. Thermal degradation modeling of live vegetation for fire dynamic simulator.
- Bajwa, Dilpreet ; Rehovsky, Chad ; Shojaeiarani, Jamileh ; Stark, Nicole ; Bajwa, Sreekala ; Dietenberger, Mark A. 2019. Functionalized Cellulose Nanocrystals: A Potential Fire Retardant for Polymer Composites.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Boardman, Charles R.; Weise, David R. 2019. Heats for combustion, capacities, and evaporation of fresh leaves, and their relationships to leaf compositions.
- Ro, Kyoung ; Dietenberger, Mark ; Libra, Judy ; Proeschel, Richard ; Atiyeh, Hasan K.; Sahoo, Kamalakanta ; Park, Wonkeun J. 2019. Production of ethanol from livestock, agricultural, and forest residuals: an economic feasibility study.
- Weise, David R.; Fletcher, Thomas H.; Johnson, Timothy J.; Hao, WeiMin ; Dietenberger, Mark ; Princevac, Marko ; Butler, Bret ; McAllister, Sara ; O’Brien, Joseph ; Loudermilk, Louise ; Ottmar, Roger ; Hudak, Andrew ; Kato, Akira ; Shotorban, Babak ; Mahalingam, Shankar ; Mell, William E. 2018. A project to measure and model pyrolysis to improve prediction of prescribed fire behavior.
- Safdari, Mohammad-Saeed; Rahmati, Mahmood; Amini, Elham; Howarth, Joel E.; Berryhill, Jansen P.; Dietenberger, Mark; Weise, David R.; Fletcher, Thomas H. 2018. Characterization of pyrolysis products from fast pyrolysis of live and dead vegetation native to the Southern United States.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Shalbafan, Ali; Welling, Johannes. 2017. Cone calorimeter testing of foam core sandwich panels treated with intumescent paper underneath the veneer (FRV).
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Boardman, Charles R.; Stark, Nicole. 2017. Flammability properties and radiant fraction of FRT wood plastic composites using mass loss calorimeter under HRR hood.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Boardman, Charles R. 2016. EcoSmart Fire as structure ignition model in wildland urban interface: predictions and validations.
- Kukay, Brian; Todd, Charles; Jahn, Tyler; Sannon, Jenson; Dunlap, Logan; White, Robert; Dietenberger, Mark. 2016. Evaluating fire-damaged components of historic covered bridges.
- Dickinson, Matthew B.; Hutchinson, Todd F.; Dietenberger, Mark; Matt, Frederick; Peters, Matthew P.; Yang, Jian. 2016. Litter Species Composition and Topographic Effects on Fuels and Modeled Fire Behavior in an Oak-Hickory Forest in the Eastern USA.
- Mendis, Gamini P.; Weiss, Sydney G.; Korey, Matthew; Boardman, Charles R.; Dietenberger, Mark; Youngblood, Jeffrey P.; Howarter, John A. 2016. Phosphorylated lignin as a halogen-free flame retardant additive for epoxy composites.
- Dietenberger, Mark; Hasburgh, Laura. 2016. Wood Products Thermal Degradation and Fire.
- Hasburgh, Laura E.; White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Boardman, Charles R. 2015. Comparison of the Heat Release Rate from the Mass Loss Calorimeter to the Cone Calorimeter for Wood-based Materials.
- Howarter, John A.; Mendis, Gamini P.; Bruce, Alex N.; Youngblood, Jeffrey P.; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Hasburgh, Laura, E. 2015. Flame Retardancy of Chemically Modified Lignin as Functional Additive to Epoxy Nanocomposites.
- Zelinka, Samuel L.; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Hasburgh, Laura E.; Bourne, Keith J.; Boardman, Charles, R. 2015. Improvements to the Understanding of the Fire Performance of Wood over the Past 30 Years-A Tribute to Robert Hawthorne White.
- Olson, Michael R.; Victoria Garcia, Mercedes; Robinson, Michael A.; Van Rooy, Paul; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Bergin, Michael; Schauer, James Jay. 2015. Investigation of black and brown carbon multiple-wavelength-dependent light absorption from biomass and fossil fuel combustion source emissions.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Boardman, Charles R. 2014. Application of Quasi-Heat-Pulse Solutions for Luikov s Equations of Heat and Moisture Transfer for Calibrating and Utilizing Thermal Properties Apparatus.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Welling, Johannes; Shalbafan, Ali. 2014. Foam Core Particleboards with Intumescent FRT Veneer: Cone Calorimeter Testing With Varying Adhesives, Surface Layer Thicknesses, and Processing Conditions.
- Clausen, Carol A.; White, Robert H.; Wacker, James P.; Lebow, Stan T.; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Zelinka, Samuel L.; Stark, Nicole M. 2014. Laboratory investigation of fire protection coatings for creosote-treated timber railroad bridges.
- McPherson, Greg; Xiao, Qingfu; Purohit, Joe; Dietenberger, Mark; Boardman, Charles (C.R.); Simpson, Jim; Peper, Paula. 2014. ecoSmart landscapes: a versatile SaaS platform for green infrastructure applications in urban environments.
- Shalbafan, Ali; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Welling, Johannes. 2013. Fire performances of foam core particleboards continuously produced in a one-step process.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Boardman, Charles R. 2013. HRR Upgrade to mass loss calorimeter and modified Schlyter test for FR Wood.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Shalbafan, Ali; Welling, Johannes; Boardman, Charles, R. 2013. Treated and Untreated foam core particleboards with intumescent veneer.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Shalbafan, Ali; Welling, Johannes; Boardman, Charles, R. 2012. Cone Calorimeter Analysis of FRT Intumescent and Untreated Foam Core Particleboards.
- Grexa, Ondrej; Dietenberger, Mark A.; White, Robert H. 2012. Reaction-to-Fire of Wood Products and Other Building Materials: Part 1, Room/Corner Test Performance.
- Ince, Peter J.; Bilek, Ted; Dietenberger, Mark A. 2011. Modeling integrated biomass gasification business concepts.
- Dietenberger, Mark A. 2011. Pyrolysis kinetics and combustion of thin wood using advanced cone calorimetry test method.
- White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Stark, Nicole M. 2007. Cone calorimeter tests of wood-based decking materials.
- Dietenberger, Mark A. 2007. Ignition and flame travel on realistic building and landscape objects in changing environments.
- Dietenberger, Mark A. 2006. Analytical modeling of fire growth on fire-resistive wood-based materials with changing conditions.
- White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A. 2004. Cone calorimeter evaluation of wood products.
- Hagge, Mathew J.; Bryden, Kenneth M.; Dietenberger, Mark A. 2004. Effects of backing board materials on wood combustion performance.
- Dietenberger, Mark A. 2004. Ignitability of materials in transitional heating regimes.
- Dietenberger, Mark. 2002. Update for combustion properties of wood components.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; White, Robert H. 2001. Reaction-to-fire testing and modeling for wood products.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; Grexa, Ondrej. 2000. Correlation of smoke development in room tests with cone calorimeter data for wood products.
- White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A. 1999. Fire safety.
- Dietenberger, Mark A. 1996. Ignitability analysis using the cone calorimeter and lift apparatus.
|Centennial Edition, Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material|
The Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material serves as a primary reference document for a wide variety of users-from the general publ ...
|Cone Calorimetry Takes Center Stage in Evaluating Fire Retardancy of Wood Products|
Evaluations of cone calorimeter tests are now documented in handbook
|Developing a fire model for homeowner-sized plats - Protecting lives and properties through proper selection of building and landscape materials|
This research is directed to development of fire growth model for the homeowner sized plat that would guide the user on better and aesthetic sel ...
|Developing the Next Generation of Forest Fire Behavior Models|
Efforts are underway to develop the next generation of forest fire behavior models, and Forest Service researchers are extending their knowledge ...
|Engineering and Economic Modeling of Biofuels Production|
FPL researchers developed a flexible and customizable computer model that allows users to do a preliminary evaluation of the feasibility of inco ...
|Evaluating fire-damaged components of historic covered bridges|
Arson continues to claim many historic covered bridges including the most recent one : Cedar Covered Bridge
|Intumescent Coating for Fire Protection of Structures|
After years of development by industry, Forest Service scientists conducted specialized fire tests to prove the value of intumescent coating for ...
|Pyrolysis and Combustion Material Properties of Naturally Heterogeneous Fuel Beds of Southern Pine Forests|
Detailed computational fluid dynamics (CFD) models for fire behavior of various live and dead foliage can benefit from the Forest Products Labor ...
|Shift Toward Mesophytic Species in Oak Forests May Limit Fire Reintroduction|
Exclusion of fire from eastern mixed-oak forests is widely understood to be an important explanation for difficulty in regenerating oaks. Forest ...