Research Social Scientist
400 N 34th St., Suite 201
Contact Monika Derrien
I am interested in the human dimensions of natural resource management, especially related to (a) how the social, cultural, and health benefits gained from outdoor experiences can be better understood and promoted by land managers, and incorporated into planning processes and frameworks; (b) the relationships between communities undergoing recreation-oriented tourism development and adjacent public lands; and (c) the ways socioeconomically, ethnically, and racially diverse populations relate to and engage with nature, from urban parks to remote wilderness areas.
- Sustainable recreation and tourism
- Cultural ecosystem services
- Human-nature connections
- Urban greenspaces
- Rural community development
- Public health benefits of outdoor recreation and public lands
- Environmental communication and interpretation
In the past, I've conducted research to help increase our understanding of human-environment relationships. I've conducted research that analyzes the community-level effects of second home development in rural areas and park-community initiatives to reduce light pollution and promote night sky tourism. At a larger scale, I've contributed to research that supports statewide outdoor recreation planning. I've also studied the discursive aspects of environmental interpretation and the development of sense of place among immigrant populations.
- University of Vermont, Ph.D. Natural Resources 2015
- University of Vermont, M.S. Natural Resources 2012
- Cornell University, B.A. History 2008
- Cerveny, Lee K.; Derrien, Monika M.; Miller, Anna B., eds. 2020. A research strategy for enhancing sustainable recreation and tourism on public lands.
- Miller, Anna B.; Cerveny, Lee K.; Derrien, Monika M.; Selin, Steven ; Blahna, Dale J. 2020. A research strategy to ignite the science of outdoor recreation on public lands.
- Armstrong, Melanie ; Derrien, Monika M. 2020. Chapter 4: Language in the recreation world.
- Wolf, Kathleen L.; Derrien, Monika M.; Kruger, Linda E.; Penbrooke, Teresa L. 2020. Chapter 6: Nature, outdoor experiences, and human health.
- Derrien, Monika ; Cerveny, Lee ; Havlick, David G. 2020. Outdoor programs for veterans: Public land policies and practices to support therapeutic opportunities.
- Cerveny, Lee; Derrien, Monika; Miller, Anna B. 2020. Shared stewardship and national scenic trails: Building on a legacy of partnerships.
- Park, Minkyung ; Derrien, Monika ; Geczi, Emilian ; Stokowski, Patricia A. 2018. Grappling with growth: Perceptions of development and preservation in faster- and slower-growing amenity communities*.
- Derrien, Monika M.; Stokowski, Patricia A. 2017. Discourses of place: Environmental interpretation about Vermont forests.