Hardwood Tree Improvement & Regeneration Center, 715 W. State Street
Contact Jim McKenna
In cooperation with public and private forestry nurseries, creation of seed orchards for the production of improved seed for black walnut, black cherry, and northern red oak seed. Development of novel and valuable hybrid walnut selections. In cooperation with the American Chestnut Foundation, creation of two chestnut blight resistant seed orchards for Indiana. Development of butternut canker resistant seed orchards for landowners in much of the Central Hardwood Region. Utilize DNA markers and current progeny tests to develop 2nd generation seed orchards for additional improvement and future seed orchards. Separate butternut hybrids from pure butternut and conserve an adequate genetic base for long term restoration of butternut. Develop white oak and northern red oak planting stock with precocity (early acorn production) and high acorn yield to provide mast for wildlife.
Why This Research is Important
HTIRC's main objective is the production of quality planting stock for public and private landowners who are interested in reforestation and for the fine hardwood timber companies interested in utilizing plantation grown timber. By developing advanced lines of improved planting stock, the outcome of our research will increase the profitability of plantation forestry and provide future economic benefits to the fine hardwood forestry industry in the United States. Our attention to conserve and maintain genetic diversity in our breeding populations will help promote long term sustainability of these hardwood species for future reforestation.
- University of California, M.S. Plant Biology - Ecology Specialization 1997
- University of California, B.S. International Agricultural Development Plant Science Specialization 1993
- USDA Juglans Crop Germplasm Committee
- Indiana Nut Growers Association
- Indiana Walnut Council
- Indiana Chapter of the American Chestnut Foundation
Featured Publications & Products
- McKenna, J.R.; Ostry, M.E.; Woeste, K. 2011. Screening butternut and butternut hybrids for resistance to butternut canker.
- Farlee, Lenny; Woeste, Keith; Ostry, Michael; McKenna, James; Weeks, Sally. 2010. Identification of butternuts and butternut hybrids.
- Farlee, Lenny; Woeste, Keith; Ostry, Michael; McKenna, James; Weeks, Sally. 2010. Conservation and management of butternut trees.
- Woeste, Keith; Farlee, Lenny; Ostry, Michael; McKenna, James; Weeks, Sally. 2009. A forest manager's guide to butternut.
- Woeste, Keith E.; McKenna, James R. 2004. Walnut genetic improvement at the start of a new century.
- Sitz, Rachael A.; Luna, Emily K.; Ibarra Caballero, Jorge ; Tisserat, Ned A.; Cranshaw, Whitney S.; McKenna, James R.; Stolz, Joshua ; Stewart, Jane E. 2021. Eastern Black Walnut (Juglans nigra L.) Originating From Native Range Varies in Their Response to Inoculation With Geosmithia morbida.
- Carey, David W.; Allmaras, Marjorie ; Bloese, Paul ; Burke, David ; Berrang, Paul ; Dalton, Lindsay ; Gettig, Roger ; Hall, Tom ; Hille, Andrea ; Kochenderfer, Jeff D.; Lint, Scott ; Mason, Mary ; Mckenna, James ; Rogers, Scott ; Rose, Jill ; Young, Carol ; Konen, Keith ; Koch, Jennifer L. 2020. A Collaborative Multi-Agency Program to Develop Resistance to Beech Bark Disease in American Beech (Fagus Grandifolia).
- Mckenna, James R.; Berrang, Paul ; Ebrahimi, Aziz ; Rogers, Scott ; Seaborne, Stuart ; Jacobs, James . 2020. Butternut Conservation and Breeding to Mitigate Butternut Canker Disease.
- Brennan, Andrea N.; McKenna, James R.; Hoban, Sean M.; Jacobs, Douglass F. 2020. Hybrid Breeding for Restoration of Threatened Forest Trees: Evidence for Incorporating Disease Tolerance in Juglans cinerea.
- Mckenna, James R.; Sitz, Racheal A.; Tisserat, Ned ; Carlson, Don ; Bloese, Paul . 2020. Screening Range-Wide Black Walnut Seed Families for Thousand Cankers Disease (TCD) Resistance and Measuring the Regional Adaptability of Resistant Seed Sources.
- Ebrahimi, Aziz ; Lawson, Shaneka S.; Frank, Graham S.; Coggeshall, Mark V; Woeste, Keith E.; McKenna, James R. 2018. Pollen flow and paternity in an isolated and non-isolated black walnut (Juglans nigra L.) timber seed orchard.
- Hefty, Andrea R.; Aukema, Brian H.; Venette, Robert C.; Coggeshall, Mark V; McKenna, James R.; Seybold, Steven J. 2018. Reproduction and potential range expansion of walnut twig beetle across the Juglandaceae.
- LaBonte, N. R.; McKenna, J.R.; Woeste, K. 2016. Effectiveness of a detached leaf assay as a proxy for stem inoculations in backcrossed chestnut (Castanea) blight resistance breeding populations.
- McKenna, James R.; Geyer, Wayne A.; Woeste, Keith E.; Cassens, Daniel L. 2015. Propagating figured wood in black walnut.
- McKenna, James; Woeste, Keith; Ostry, Michael. 2012. Breeding resistance to butternut canker disease.
- McKenna, James R.; Rueda-Krauss, Oriana; Beheler, Brian. 2011. A highly efficient machine planting system for forestry research plantations the Wright-MSU method.
- Ross-Davis, Amy; Huang, Zhonglian; McKenna, James; Ostry, Michael; Woeste, Keith. 2008. Morphological and molecular methods to identify butternut (Juglans cinerea) and butternut hybrids: relevance to butternut conservation.
- McKenna, James; Woeste, Keith. 2004. Planting and care of fine hardwood seedlings: Diagnosing and controlling wildlife damage in hardwood plantations..
- McKenna, James; Woeste, Keith. 2004. Planting and care of fine hardwood seedlings: Fertilizing, pruning, and thinning.
- McKenna, James R.; Epstein, Lynn. 2003. Susceptibility of Juglans Species and Interspecific Hybrids to Agrobacterium tumefaciens.
- Vahdati, Kourosh; McKenna, James R.; Dandekar, Abhaya M.; Leslie, Charles A.; Uratsu, Sandie L.; Hackett, Wesley P.; Negri, Paola; McGranahan, Gale H. 2002. Rooting and Other Characteristics of a Transgenic Walnut Hybrid (Juglans hindsii x J. regia) Rootstock Expressing rolABC.