LaWen T. Hollingsworth
Fire Behavior Specialist
5775 Highway 10 West
Contact LaWen T. Hollingsworth
I work for the Fire Modeling Institute (FMI) tasked with technology transfer to the field including training and mentoring in a variety of tasks such as data acquisition, data calibration, fire behavior system selection and use, and completing and interpreting fire behavior analyses. On wildfires I generally work as a Long Term Fire Analyst to conduct mid-term and long-term fire analyses and preparing Long Term Plans.
Professional interests include fire behavior analyses, evaluating fire behavior and fire effects especially during large fire-growth days, and post-fire vegetation response.
The field often struggles in applying results from research to the real world and FMI seeks to bridge that gap.
Why This Research is Important
Past research has included inventory and monitoring to track long-term vegetation trends, effects of prescribed fire and wildfires on vegetation and fuels, and preparing fire analyses and reports consistent with mandates of federal laws such as NFMA and NEPA.
- University of Idaho, B.S. Forest Resources 1997
- University of Montana, M.S. Forestry/Fire Ecology 2005
- Lead Instructor - Fire Behavior Workshop, Northern Rockies Training Center
The Fire Behavior Workshop has its roots following the fire season of 1988 when Dick Rothermel convened some of the best and brightest fire behavior analysts to share and learn from this important fire season.
- Co-Lead Instructor, Northern Rockies Training Center
S-490 Advanced Wildland Fire Behavior Calculations
- Faculty, National Advanced Fire and Resource Institute
S-495 Geospatial Fire Behavior Analysis, Interpretation, and Application
- Helmbrecht, Don; Gilbertson-Day, Julie; Scott, Joe H.; Hollingsworth, LaWen. 2016. Wildfire risk to residential structures in the Island Park Sustainable Fire Community: Caribou-Targhee National Forest.
- Hollingsworth, L. T.; Johnson, D.; Sikaundi, G.; Siame, S. 2015. Fire management assessment of Eastern Province, Zambia.
- Dobrinkova, Nina; Hollingsworth, LaWen; Heinsch, Faith Ann; Dillon, Greg; Dobrinkov, Georgi. 2014. Bulgarian fuel models developed for implementation in FARSITE simulations for test cases in Zlatograd area.
- Hollingsworth, LaWen; Parsons, Russell. 2013. Wildfire risk to structures: Island Park Sustainable Fire Community.
- Hollingsworth, LaWen T.; Kurth, Laurie L.; Parresol, Bernard R.; Ottmar, Roger D.; Prichard, Susan J. 2012. A comparison of geospatially modeled fire behavior and fire management utility of three data sources in the southeastern United States.
- Fay, Bret; Hollingsworth, LaWen. 2012. Bald Mountain Fire long term fire assessment - V1.0 9/24/2012.
- Hollingsworth, LaWen. 2012. Bald Mountain Fire, Eagle Cap Wilderness Area, Wallowa-Whitman National Forest, FARSITE analysis.
- Hollingsworth, LaWen T. 2010. Davis Fire: Fire behavior and fire effects analysis.
- Ritter, Sharon; Canton-Thompson, Janie; Jones, Greg; McCaughey, Ward; Calkin, Dave; Harrington, Mick; Kolb, Peter; Hollingsworth, LaWen; Jensen, Joe; Knotek, Katie; Thompson, Brooke. 2005. ECO-Report - Scale matters - some thoughts on landscape sustainability.