Lance A. Asherin
240 West Prospect Road
Contact Lance A. Asherin
I am the manager for the long-term mensuration research studies in Arizona, Colorado, South Dakota, and Wyoming. I maintain databases associated with mensuration studies and assists in silvicultural research. I am certified as a Region 2 Silviculturist.
Current Silviculture Research I am working on:
- Developing, implementing, and evaluating the irregular uneven-aged silvicultural system as a viable method for creating resilient forests.
- Identifying spatial explicit reference conditions for ponderosa pine and dry mixed conifer forests of the Colorado Front Range and the Black Hills for restoration prescription development
- Assessing spatially heterogeneous forest structure impact on fire behavior
- Characterizing patterns of tree regeneration following large wildfire
- Utilizing long-term growth studies to validate and calibrate the Forest Vegetation Simulator
- Colorado State University, B.S. Forestry 1985
Awards & Recognition
- Outstanding Science Support, 2011
Featured Publications & Products
- Shepperd, Wayne D.; Asherin, Lance A.; Mata, Stephen A.; McClain, Douglas L. 2004. The Cutting Methods Demonstration Study at Fraser Experimental Forest.
- Negron, Jose F.; Shepperd, Wayne A.; Mata, Steve A.; Popp, John B.; Asherin, Lance A.; Schoettle, Anna W.; Schmid, John M.; Leatherman, David A. 2001. Solar treatments for reducing survival of mountain pine beetle in infested ponderosa and lodgepole pine logs.
- Asherin, Lance A.; Mata, Stephen A. 2001. Basic tree-ring sample preparation techniques for aging aspen.
- Musselman, Robert C.; Shepperd, Wayne D.; Smith, Frederick W.; Asherin, Lance A.; Gee, Brian W. 2012. Response of transplanted aspen to irrigation and weeding on a Colorado reclaimed surface coal mine.
- Kolb, Thomas E.; Flathers, Kelsey ; Bradford, John B.; Andrews, Caitlin ; Asherin, Lance A.; Moser, W. Keith. 2020. Stand density, drought and herbivory constrain ponderosa pine regeneration pulse.
- Graham, Russell T.; Asherin, Lance A.; Jain, Theresa B.; Baggett, L. Scott; Battaglia, Michael A. 2019. Differing ponderosa pine forest structures, their growth and yield, and mountain pine beetle impacts: Growing stock levels in the Black Hills.
- Dickinson, Yvette L.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Asherin, Lance A. 2019. Evaluation of the FVS-CR diameter growth model in structurally heterogeneous ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa Douglas ex C. Lawson) stands in the Southern Rockies, and potential modifications.
- Bottero, Alessandra ; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J.; Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn ; Battaglia, Mike A.; Asherin, Lance A. 2017. Density-dependent vulnerability of forest ecosystems to drought.
- Lehman, Chadwick P.; Rumble, Mark A.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Mills, Todd R.; Asherin, Lance A. 2016. Influence of mountain pine beetle epidemic on winter habitat conditions for Merriam's turkeys: Management implications for current and future condition.
- Graham, Russell T.; Asherin, Lance A.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Jain, Terrie; Mata, Stephen A. 2016. Mountain pine beetles: A century of knowledge, control attempts, and impacts central to the Black Hills.
|Big Trees, Bark Beetles, Goshawks, and Timber|
Throughout the Rocky Mountains over the last century, large ponderosa pine trees provided lumber for growing cities and towns, along with fuel a ...
|Goshawks, bark beetles, and timber management: Can they coexist?|
Wildlife habitat and timber production are critical elements of the management of many national forests. The Black Hills National Forest in West ...