400 N 34th St., Suite 201
Contact Sim Larkin
- Smoke impacts from wildland fire
- Fire emissions from wildland fire
- Climate change and fire
- Climate change and smoke
- Statistical analysis of climate patterns
- How to minimize uncertainties and improve accuracy by combining disparate information sources
- How to analyze variability including extreme events in non-static systems
- How to disseminate scientific and probabilistic information to managers such that is is usable in decision support
- How to display complex information for ease of use and applicability to management problems
- University of Washington, Ph.D. Climate Diagnositcs 2000
- Unversity of California, Berkeley, B.A. Physics 1991
Awards & Recognition
- PNW Science Delivery Award, 2011
For leading the effort to supply the best smoke information and smoke outlooks to fire and regional managers during the historic New Mexico / Arizona wildfires.
- National Fire Plan Excellence in Research Award, 2005
Awarded to the BlueSky Smoke Modeling Consortium.
- White, Rachel; Hessburg, Paul; Larkin, Sim; Varner, Morgan. 2017. Smoke in a new era of fire.
- O'Neill, Susan; Urbanski, Shawn; Goodrick, Scott; Larkin, Sim. 2017. Smoke plumes: Emissions and effects.
- Barbero, R.; Abatzoglou, J. T.; Larkin, Sim; Kolden, C. A.; Stocks, B. 2015. Climate change presents increased potential for very large fires in the contiguous United States.
- Stavros, E. Natasha ; McKenzie, Donald; Larkin, Narasimhan. 2014. The climate-wildfire-air quality system: interactions and feedbacks across spatial and temporal scales.
- Larkin, Narasimhan K.; Raffuse, Sean M.; Strand, Tara M. 2014. Wildland fire emissions, carbon, and climate: U.S. emissions inventories.
- Hao, Wei Min; Larkin, Narasimhan K. 2014. Wildland fire emissions, carbon, and climate: wildland fire detection and burned area in the United States.
- Raffuse, Sean M.; Craig, Kenneth J.; Larkin, Narasimhan K.; Strand, Tara T.; Sullivan, Dana Coe; Wheeler, Neil J.M.; Solomon, Robert. 2012. An evaluation of modeled plume injection height with satellite-derived observed plume height.
- Goodrick, Scott L.; Achtemeier, Gary L.; Larkin, Narasimhan K.; Liu, Yongqiang; Strand, Tara M. (. 2012. Modelling smoke transport from wildland fires: a review.
- Larkin, Sim; Brown, Tim; Lahm, Pete; Zimmerman, Tom. 2010. Wildland fire decision support system air quality tools.
|Delivery of Smoke Science to Incident Operations|
Forest Service scientists, working with the Washington Office Fire and Aviation Management to support the Wildland Fire Air Quality Response Pro ...
|Mitigating Arctic Black Carbon Deposition|
Scientists identify meteorological conditions when black carbon does not travel to the Arctic
|New Techniques Improve National Emissions Inventory for Wildland Fire|
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is using new techniques to create the next national emissions inventory for wildland fire
|Scientists Acquire Better Knowledge of Smoke Transport During Prescribed Burning in the Wildland-urban Interface of Bend, Oregon|
Smoke from prescribed fires in the Deschutes National Forest has negatively affected the city of Bend, Oregon, nine times over the past two year ...