One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Contact Kamalakanta Sahoo
- Design and simulation of bioenergy supply chain using integrated modeling approaches to optimize economic, environmental and social impacts
- Integrated LCA-TEA models to estimate both environmental and economic impacts of producing wood briquettes, torrefied-wood briquettes, and biochar from forest residues using portable systems (using SimaPro).
- Life cycle assessment of redwood lumber
- Working on to develop a multi-objective linear programming model to optimize the supply chain network of bioenergy/bio-products produced from forest residues (using Gurobi).
- Working on to develop a discrete-event simulation model of bioenergy/bio-products supply chain to produce terrified pellets, briquettes and biochar using forest residues to quantify supply chain performances such as cost, GHG emissions and energy use and measure various risks (using Anylogic).
- Supply chain sustainability analysis, Lifecycle assessment (LCA) and Techno-economic analysis (TEA)
- Discrete-event simulation and Supply chain optimization
- Big-data analytics and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Statistical Analysis, Geospatial modeling and analysis, and Biomass resource assessment
- Watershed modeling (Biomass yield prediction, and soil and water quality analysis)
Sahoo, Kamalakanta; Bilek, Edward; Bergman, Richard; Mani, Sudhagar. 2019. Techno-economic analysis of producing solid biofuels and biochar from forest residues using portable systems. Applied Energy. 235: 578-590. Bergman, Rick; Berry, Michael; Bilek, E. M. (Ted); Bowers, Tait; Eastin, Ivan; Ganguly, Indroneil; Han, Han-Sup; Hirth, Kolby; Jacobson, Arne; Karp, Steve; Oneil, Elaine; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Pierobon, Francesca; Puettmann, Maureen; Rawlings, Craig; Rosenbaum, Sevda Alanya; Sahoo, Kamalakanta; Sasatani, Daisuke; Sessions, John; Sifford, Cody; Waddell, Tom. 2018. Waste to Wisdom: Utilizing forest residues for the production of bioenergy and biobased products. Final Report: Biomass Research and Development Initiative Program Award Number DE-EE0006297. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Energy. 65 p.
- University of Georgia, Phd, Engineering Life cycle Assessment, Techno-economic Analysis, Supply chain optimization and simulation, Geospatial Analysis 2017
- Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, M.S. Industrial Engineering Supply chain optimization 2008
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar , B.S. Agricultural Engineering Agricultural Engineering 2005
- Research Assistant, University of Georgia
2012 - 2017
-Optimization of sustainable biomass supply chain for the production of biogas from organic waste and energy crops -Economic and environmental assessments of Bio-CNG production via liquid-state and solid-state anaerobic digestion technologies -Lifecycle analysis of Miscanthus biomass supply chain using discrete-event simulation -Sustainable assessment of crop residues, organic waste, manure and energy crops (from strip-mined areas) in the state of Ohio and optimal locations of biorefineries -Techno-economic analysis of bale, chips, and pellet storage systems for a large scale bio-refinery -Engineering economics of cotton stalk supply logistics systems for bioenergy applications
Featured Publications & Products
- Sahoo, Kamalakanta ; Bilek, Edward ; Bergman, Richard ; Mani, Sudhagar . 2019. Techno-economic analysis of producing solid biofuels and biochar from forest residues using portable systems.
- Bergman, Rick ; Berry, Michael ; Bilek, E. M. (Ted); Bowers, Tait ; Eastin, Ivan ; Ganguly, Indroneil ; Han, Han-Sup ; Hirth, Kolby ; Jacobson, Arne ; Karp, Steve ; Oneil, Elaine ; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Pierobon, Francesca ; Puettmann, Maureen ; Rawlings, Craig ; Rosenbaum, Sevda Alanya; Sahoo, Kamalakanta ; Sasatani, Daisuke ; Sessions, John ; Sifford, Cody ; Waddell, Tom . 2018. Waste to Wisdom: Utilizing forest residues for the production of bioenergy and biobased products.
- Sahoo, Kamalakanta ; Bilek, Edward ; Bergman, Richard ; Kizha, Anil R.; Mani, Sudhagar . 2019. Economic analysis of forest residues supply chain options to produce enhanced-quality feedstocks.
- Sahoo, Kamalakanta ; Bilek, E.M. (Ted); Mani, Sudhagar . 2018. Techno-economic and environmental assessments of storing woodchips and pellets for bioenergy applications.
- Sahoo, Kamalakanta ; Bergman, Richard D. 2019. Environmental impacts of redwood lumber: a cradle-to-gate assessment.
- Sahoo, Kamalakanta ; Bergman, Richard ; Alanya-Rosenbaum, Sevda ; Gu, Hongmei ; Liang, Shaobo . 2019. Life cycle assessment of forest-based products: a review.
- Ro, Kyoung ; Dietenberger, Mark ; Libra, Judy ; Proeschel, Richard ; Atiyeh, Hasan K.; Sahoo, Kamalakanta ; Park, Wonkeun J. 2019. Production of ethanol from livestock, agricultural, and forest residuals: an economic feasibility study.
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
- K. Sahoo, S. Mani, GIS Based Discrete Event Modeling and Simulation of Biomass Supply Chain. Proceedings of the 2015 Winter Simulation Conference, 2015, IEEE Press, pp 967-978.
K. Sahoo, GL. Hawkins, XA. Yao, K. Samples, S. Mani, GIS-based biomass assessment and supply logistics system for a sustainable biorefinery: A case study with cotton stalks in the Southeastern US. Applied Energy, 2016, 182: 260-273.
K. Sahoo, S. Mani, Engineering Economics of Cotton Stalk Supply Logistics Systems for Bioenergy Applications. Trans. Of ASABE, 2016, 59, (3).
K. Sahoo, S. Mani, Techno-economic assessment of biomass bales storage systems for a large-scale bioreﬁnery. Biofuels, Bioproducts, and Biorefining, 2017, 11, (3), pp 417-429.
K. Sahoo, S. Mani, L. Das, P. Bettinger, GIS-based assessment of sustainable crop residues for optimal siting of biogas plants, Biomass and Bioenergy, 2018, 110, 63-74
A. Koirala, A.R. Kizha, C.F. De Hoop, B.E. Roth, H.S. Han, P. Hiesl, D. Abbas, S.Gautam, S. Baral, S. Bick, K. Sahoo, Annotated Bibliography of the Global Literature on the Secondary Transportation of Raw and Comminuted Forest Products (2000–2015). Forests, 2018, 9, 415.
A. Chiluwal, H.P. Singh, K. Sahoo, R. Paudel, W.F. Whithead, B.P. Singh, Napiergrass Has Dual Use as Biofuel Feedstock and Animal Fodder. Agronomy Journal, 2019, III (4): 1-8.
K. Sahoo, S. Mani, A. Milewski, and N. Hoghooghi, Assessment of sustainable biomass availability in strip-mined lands (SML) and its impacts on stream water quality, Water, 2019, 11, 546.
M.F.H. Masum, K. Sahoo, P. Dwivedi, Ascertaining the Trajectory of Wood-Based Bioenergy Development in the United States Based on Current Economic, Social, and Environmental Constructs. 2019, 11(1).
Manouchehrinejad, K. Sahoo, H. Singh and S. Mani, Economic and environmental impact assessments of a stand-alone Napier grass fired combined heat and power generation system in the southeastern U.S., The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 2019.
S. Ro, M.A. Dietenberger, J.A. Libra, R. Proeschel, H. Atiyeh, K. Sahoo, W. J. Park, Production of liquid fuels from agricultural and forest residuals, Environment, 2019.
K. Sahoo, S. Alanya-Rosenbaum, and R. Bergman, Lifecycle assessment analysis of forest-based products: a review, Sustainability, 2019
K. Sahoo, and S. Mani, Life cycle assessment and techno-economic analysis of BioCNG production via anaerobic digestion (AD) systems from organic wastes and energy crops. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2019.
|Economic Analysis of Making Solid Biofuels and Biochar from Forest Residues Using Portable Production Systems in the U.S.|
Higher logistic cost is one of the major bottlenecks to produce renewable power, fuel, or bioproducts from forest residues in large-scale produc ...
|Techno-economic and Environmental Assessments of Storing Woodchips and Pellets for Bioenergy Applications|
Storage is the critical operation within the biomass supply chain to reduce feedstock supply risks and to manage smooth year-around operations o ...