Karen L. Pope
1700 Bayview Drive
Contact Karen L. Pope
I am studying the population dynamics of Cascades frogs in the Klamath Mountains and southern Cascades of California in relation to the amphibian disease, chytridiomycosis. We are using observations, field experiments and lab experiments to determine the effects of the disease on the frogs and to find ways to allevitate those effects. I also have initiated a research program to study the effectiveness of meadow restoration projects in improving conditions for biodiversity and ecosystem adaptation to climate change.
I specialize in applied research directed toward the conservation of amphibians and reptiles, especially in mountain environments. However, many of my projects also address key basic concepts in ecology like the role of ecosystem subsidy in supporting wildlife populations and how population dynamics are affected by pathogens.
- University of California, Ph.D. Ecology 2008
- California State Polytechnic University, M.S. Biology 1999
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A. Environmental Science 1990
Featured Publications & Products
- Garwood, Justin M.; Knapp, Roland A.; Pope, Karen L.; Grasso, Robert L.; Magnuson, Michael L.; Maurer, Jeff R. 2013. Use of historically fishless high-mountain lakes and streams by neartic River Otters (Lontra canadensis) in California.
- Piovia-Scott, Jonah; Pope, Karen L.; Lawler, Sharon P.; Cole, Esther M.; Foley, Janet E. 2011. Factors related to the distribution and prevalence of the fungal pathogen Batrachochytrium dentrobatidis in Rana cascadae and other amphibians in the Klamath Mountains.
- Pope, Karen L. 2008. Assessing Changes in Amphibian Population Dynamics Following Experimental Manipulations of Introduced Fish.
- Fuller, Terra; Pope, Karen; Ashton, Donald ; Welsh, Hartwell, Jr. 2010. Linking the distribution of an invasive amphibian (Rana catesbeiana) to habitat conditions in a managed river system in northern California..
- Garwood, J. M.; Pope, K. L.; Bourque, R. M.; Larson, M. D. 2009. High-mountain lakes provide a seasonal niche for migrant American dippers.
- Pope, Karen L.; Garwood, Justin M.; Welsh Jr., Hartwell H.; Lawler, Sharon P. 2008. Evidence of indirect impacts of introduced trout on native amphibians via facilitation of a shared predator.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Pope, Karen L.; Slauson, Keith ; Welsh, Hartwell H.; Wheeler, Clara A.; Reilly, Matthew J.; Zielinski, William J. 2018. Chapter 6: Other species and biodiversity of older forests.
- Pope, Karen L.; Wengert, Greta M.; Foley, Janet E.; Ashton, Donald T.; Botzler, Richard G. 2016. Citizen scientists monitor a deadly fungus threatening amphibian communities in northern coastal California, USA.
- Piovia-Scott, Jonah; Sadro, Steven; Knapp, Roland A.; Sickman, James; Pope, Karen L.; Chandra, Sudeep. 2016. Variation in reciprocal subsidies between lakes and land: perspectives from the mountains of California.
- Piovia-Scott, Jonah; Pope, Karen; Joy Worth, S.; Rosenblum, Erica Bree; Simon, Dean; Warburton, Gordon; Rollins-Smith, Louise A.; Reinert, Laura K.; Wells, Heather L.; Rejmanek, Dan; Lawler, Sharon; Foley, Janet. 2015. Correlates of virulence in a frog-killing fungal pathogen: evidence from a California amphibian decline.
- Pope, K. L.; Montoya, D. S.; Brownlee, J. N.; Dierks, J.; Lisle, T. E. 2015. Habitat conditions of montane meadows associated with restored and unrestored stream channels of California.
- Hardy, B.M.; Pope, K.L.; Piovia-Scott, J.; Brown, R.N.; Foley, J.E. 2015. Itraconazole treatment reduces Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis prevalence and increases overwinter field survival in juvenile Cascades frogs.
- Pope, Karen; Brown, Catherine; Hayes, Marc; Green, Gregory; Macfarlane, Diane, tech. coords. 2014. Cascades frog conservation assessment.
- Pope, Karen L.; Long, Jonathan W. 2014. Lakes: recent research and restoration strategies.
- Long, Jonathan W.; Pope, Karen. 2014. Wet meadows.
- Roth, Tara ; Foley, Janet ; Worth, Joy ; Piovia-Scott, Jonah ; Pope, Karen ; Lawler, Sharon . 2013. Bacterial flora on Cascades frogs in the Klamath Mountains of California.
- Hartman, Rosemary; Pope, Karen; Lawler, Sharon. 2013. Factors Mediating co-occurrence of an economically valuable introduced fish and its native frog prey.
- Pope, Karen; Hannelly, Erin C. . 2013. Response of benthic macroinvertebrates to whole-lake, non-native fish removals in mid-elevation lakes of the Trinity Alps, California.
- Joseph, Maxwell B.; Piovia-Scott, Jonah; Lawler, Sharon P.; Pope, Karen L. 2010. Indirect effects of introduced trout on Cascades frogs (Rana cascadae) via shared aquatic prey.
- Jonathan, Stead; Pope, Karen. 2010. Predatory leeches (Hirudinida) may contribute to amphibian declines in the Lassen, California..
- Pope, Karen L.; Piovia-Scott, Jonah; Lawler, Sharon P. 2009. Changes in aquatic insect emergence in response to whole-lake experimental manipulations of introduced trout.
- Welsh, Hartwell H.; Pope, Karen L.; Wheeler, Clara A. 2009. How reliable are amphibian population metrics A response to Kroll et al..
- Welsh, Hart; Pope, Karen L.; Wheeler, Clara A. 2008. Using multiple metrics to assess the effects of forest succession on population status: a comparative study of two terrestrial salamanders in the US Pacific Northwest.
- Fellers, Gary M.; Pope, Karen L.; Stead, Jonathan E.; Koo, Michelle S.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr. 2007. Turning population trend monitoring into active conservation: Can we save the Cascades Frog (Rana cascadae) in the Lassen region of California.
- Welsh Jr, Hartwell H.; Pope, Karen L.; Boiano, Daniel. 2006. Sub-alpine amphibian distributions related to species palatability to non-native salmonids in the Klamath mountains of northern California.
- Matthews, K.R.; Knapp, R.A.; Pope, K.L. 2002. Garter snakes distributions in high elevation aquatic ecosystems: Is there a link with declining amphibian populations and nonnative trout introductions.
- Pope, K.L.; Matthews, K.R. 2002. Influence of anuran prey on the condition and distribution of Rana muscosa in the Sierra Nevada.
- Matthews, K.R.; Pope, K.L.; Preisler, H. K.; Knapp, R.A. 2001. Effects of non-native trout on Pacific treefrogs (Hyla regilla) in the Sierra Nevada..
- Pope, K.L.; Matthews, K.R. 2001. Movement ecology and seasonal distribution of mountain yellow-legged frogs, Rana muscosa, in a high-elevation Sierra Nevada basin..
- Matthews, K.R.; Pope, K.L. 1999. A telemetric study of the movement patterns and habitat use of Rana muscosa, the mountain yellow-legged frog, in a high-elevation basin in Kings Canyon National Park, California.
|Disease Risk for Mountain Amphibians of California|
Chytridiomycosis, an infectious disease caused by a fungus, has emerged as a catastrophic global pandemic in amphibians within the past several ...