Carlos M. Polivka
Research Fishery Biologist
1133 N Western Ave.
Contact Carlos M. Polivka
Featured Publications & Products
- Medhurst, R. Bruce; Wipfli, Mark S.; Binckley, Chris; Polivka, Karl; Hessburg, Paul F.; Salter, R. Brion. 2010. Headwater streams and forest management: Does ecoregional context influence logging effects on benthic communities.
- Polivka, Karl M.; Dwyer, Greg; Mehmel, Constance J. 2017. Environmental persistence of a pathogen used in microbial insect control.
- Polivka, Karl M.; Steel, E. Ashley; Novak, Jenni L.; Jonsson, Bror. 2015. Juvenile salmon and steelhead occupancy of stream pools treated and not treated with restoration structures, Entiat River, Washington.
- Polivka, Karl M.; Friedli, Lisa M.; Green, Elizabeth C. 2013. Stream inflow and predation risk affect littoral habitat selection by benthic fish.
- Polivka, Carlos M.; Volking, Rhiannon A.; Claeson, Shannon M.; Hosman, Rachel D. 2019. Scale of monitoring influences interpretation of stream habitat restoration results for juvenile Chinook salmon.
- Carran, Spencer ; Polivka, Carlos M.; Mihaljevic, Joseph R.; Dwyer, Greg . 2019. Detection of low levels of baculovirus for outbreak-terminating epizootics in defoliating insects.
- Mihaljevic, Joseph R.; Polivka, Carlos M.; Mehmel, Constance J.; Li, Chentong ; Dukic, Vanja ; Dwyer, Greg . 2020. An empirical test of the role of small-scale transmission in large-scale disease dynamics.
- Polivka, Carlos M.; Claeson, Shannon M. 2020. Beyond redistribution: In stream habitat restoration increases capacity for young of the year Chinook Salmon and steelhead in the Entiat River, Washington.
- Polivka, Carlos M. 2020. Habitat affinity and density-dependent movement as indicators of fish habitat restoration efficacy.
- Polivka, Carlos M.; Mihaljevic, Joseph R.; Dwyer, Greg . 2020. Use of a mechanistic growth model in evaluating post-restoration habitat quality for juvenile salmonids.
- Stine, Peter; Hessburg, Paul; Spies, Thomas; Kramer, Marc; Fettig, Christopher J.; Hansen, Andrew; Lehmkuhl, John; O'Hara, Kevin; Polivka, Karl; Singleton, Peter; Charnley, Susan; Merschel, Andrew; White, Rachel. 2014. The ecology and management of moist mixed-conifer forests in eastern Oregon and Washington: a synthesis of the relevant biophysical science and implications for future land management.
- Binckley, Christopher A.; Wipfli, Mark S.; Medhurst, R. Bruce; Polivka, Karl; Hessburg, Paul; Salter, R. Brion; Kill, Joshua Y. 2010. Ecoregion and land-use influence invertebrate and detritus transport from headwater streams.
- Bookter, Andy; Woodsmith, Richard D.; McCormick, Frank H.; Polivka, Karl M. 2009. Water Quality Trends in the Entiat River Subbasin: 2007-2008.
- Polivka, K.M.; Chotkowski, M.A. 1998. Recolonization of experimentally defaunated tidepools by northeast Pacific intertidal fishes..
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
- Mihaljevic, J. R., C. M. Polivka, C. J. Mehmel, C. Li, V. Dukic, G. Dwyer. 2020. The role of small-scale transmission in large-scale disease epizootics. The American Naturalist 195: 616–635
|Instream Habitat Restoration Increases Stream Capacity for both Chinook Salmon and Steelhead Trout|
Study finds positive response by fish to instream restoration projects in the Entiat River watershed in Washington. These results are being used ...