Kathleen R. Matthews
800 Buchanan Street
Contact Kathleen R. Matthews
Kathleen is a research scientist with the Aquatic Ecology Group at PSW. She has worked on a variety of marine and freshwater research projects in the US and Canada. Since starting at the Forest Service in 1992, she has led several research projects primarily in the Sierra Nevada on the effects of management activities (cattle grazing, fish stocking, etc.) on the native aquatic organisms of wilderness streams and lakes.
In the future, Matthews intends to continue exploring the impact reduced snowpacks and warmer temperatures might have on high-elevation native species such as golden trout, the California state fish, and amphibians.
- University of Washington School of Fisheries, Ph.D. Fisheries 1988
- Moss Landing Marine Laboratories-San Jose State Univ, M.A. Marine Biology 1983
- University of California, B.A. Zoology 1977
- American Fisheries Society, Member
- Ecological Society of America, Member
- Society forConservation Biology, Member
- Nusslé, Sébastien; Matthews, Kathleen R.; Carlson, Stephanie M. 2017. Patterns and dynamics of vegetation recovery following grazing cessation in the California golden trout habitat.
- Penaluna, Brooke E.; Abadía-Cardoso, Alicia; Dunham, Jason B.; García-Dé León, Francisco J.; Gresswell, Robert E.; Luna, Arturo Ruiz; Taylor, Eric B.; Shepard, Bradley B.; Al-Chokhachy, Robert; Muhlfeld, Clint C.; Bestgen, Kevin R.; Rogers, Kevin; Escalante, Marco A.; Keeley, Ernest R.; Temple, Gabriel M.; Williams, Jack E.; Matthews, Kathleen R.; Pierce, Ron; Mayden, Richard L.; Kovach, Ryan P.; Garza, John Carlos; Fausch, Kurt D. 2016. Conservation of native Pacific trout diversity in Western North America.
- Matthews, Kathleen R. 2016. Water temperature, dissolved oxygen, flow, and shade measurements in the three stream sections of the Golden Trout Wilderness.
- Nussle, Sebastien; Matthews, Kathleen R.; Carlson, Stephanie M. 2015. Mediating water temperature increases due to livestock and global change in high elevation meadow streams of the Golden Trout Wilderness.
- Matthews, Kathleen; Nussle, Sebastien. 2014. California golden trout and climate change: Is their stream habitat vulnerable to climate warming.
- Matthews, Kathleen R. 2010. California golden trout and climate change: Is their stream habitat vulnerable to climate warming.
- Matthews, Kathleen; Preisler, Haiganoush. 2010. Site fidelity of the declining amphibian Rana sierrae (Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog).
- Lacan, I; Matthews, Kathleen R.; Feldman, K.V. 2008. Interaction of an Introduced Predator with Future Effects of Climate Change in the Recruitment Dynamics of the Imperiled Sierra Nevada Yellow-legged Frog (Rana sierrae).
- Knapp, R. A.; Matthews, K.R.; Preisler, H. K.; Jellison, R. 2003. Developing probabilistic models to predict amphibian site occupancy in a patchy landscape.
- Matthews, Kathleen. 2003. High Sierra Ecosystems: The Role of Fish Stocking in Amphibian Declines.
- Matthews, K. R. 2003. The response of Rana muscosa, the mountain yellow-legged frog, to short distance translocations..
- Matthews, K.R.; Knapp, R.A.; Pope, K.L. 2002. Garter snakes distributions in high elevation aquatic ecosystems: Is there a link with declining amphibian populations and nonnative trout introductions.
- Pope, K.L.; Matthews, K.R. 2002. Influence of anuran prey on the condition and distribution of Rana muscosa in the Sierra Nevada.
- Matthews, K.R.; Pope, K.L.; Preisler, H. K.; Knapp, R.A. 2001. Effects of non-native trout on Pacific treefrogs (Hyla regilla) in the Sierra Nevada..
- Pope, K.L.; Matthews, K.R. 2001. Movement ecology and seasonal distribution of mountain yellow-legged frogs, Rana muscosa, in a high-elevation Sierra Nevada basin..
- Knapp, R.A.; Matthews, K.R.; Sarnelle, O. 2001. Resistance and resilience of alpine lake fauna to fish introductions.
- Knapp, R. A.; Matthews, Kathleen R. 2000. Effects on nonnative fishes on wilderness lake ecosystems in the Sierra Nevada and recommendations for reducing impacts.
- Knapp, R.A.; Matthews, K.R. 2000. Non-native fish introductions and the decline of the mountain yellow-legged frog from within protected areas.
- Matthews, K.R.; Pope, K.L. 1999. A telemetric study of the movement patterns and habitat use of Rana muscosa, the mountain yellow-legged frog, in a high-elevation basin in Kings Canyon National Park, California.
- Knapp, R.A.; Vredenburg, V.T.; Matthews, K.R. 1998. Effects of stream channel morphology on golden trout spawning habitat and recruitment..
- Knapp, R.A.; Matthews, K.R. 1998. Eradication of non-native fish from a small mountain lake: gill netting as a non-toxic alternative to the use of rotenone..
- Matthews, K.R.; Berg, N.H. 1997. Rainbow trout responses to water temperature and dissolved oxygen stress in two southern California stream pools.
- Matthews, K.R. 1996. Diel movement and habitat use of the golden trout Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita in their native habitat on the Golden Trout Wilderness, California.
- Matthews, K.R. 1996. Golden trout habitat selection and movement patterns in degraded and recovering sites within the Golden Trout Wilderness, California.
- Knapp, R.; Matthews, K. 1996. Livestock Grazing, Golden Trout, and Streams in the Golden Trout Wilderness, California: Impacts and Management Implications.
- MATTHEWS, KATHLEEN R.; BERG, NEIL H.; AZUMA DAVID L., . 1994. Cool Water Formation and Trout Habitat Use in a Deep Pool in the Sierra Nevada, California.
|California golden trout and future climate warming|
The California golden trout is imperiled due to exotic trout, genetic introgression, and degraded habitat, and faces further stress from climate ...