Karen C. Short
800 East Beckwith Avenue
Contact Karen C. Short
My current research is centered around a geospatial fire modeling system (FSim) that is used to map wildfire hazard for risk assessment and other applications (https://www.fs.usda.gov/rds/archive/Product/RDS-2016-0034/). To support this work I have developed and maintain a spatial database of wildfires in the US, 1992-2015, including 1.88 million records from federal, state, and local wildland fire reporting systems (https://www.fs.usda.gov/rds/archive/Product/RDS-2013-0009.4/).
- University of Montana, Missoula, Ph.D. Organismal Biology and Ecology 2003
- University of Arizona, Tucson, B.S. Wildlife and Fisheries Science 1996
Featured Publications & Products
- Olsen, Christine S.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Ager, Alan A.; Olsen, Keith A.; Short, Karen C. 2017. Examining the influence of biophysical conditions on wildland-urban interface homeowners' wildfire risk mitigation activities in fire-prone landscapes.
- Ager, Alan A.; Day, Michelle A.; Short, Karen C.; Evers, Cody R. 2016. Assessing the impacts of federal forest planning on wildfire risk-mitigation in the Pacific Northwest, USA.
- Short, Karen C. 2015. Sources and implications of bias and uncertainty in a century of US wildfire activity data.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Haas, Jessica R.; Finney, Mark A.; Calkin, David E.; Hand, Michael S.; Browne, Mark J.; Halek, Martin; Short, Karen C.; Grenfell, Isaac C. 2015. Development and application of a probabilistic method for wildfire suppression cost modeling.
- Ager, Alan A.; Day, Michelle A.; McHugh, Charles W.; Short, Karen; Gilbertson-Day, Julie; Finney, Mark A.; Calkin, David E. 2014. Wildfire exposure and fuel management on western US national forests.
- Short, K. C. 2014. A spatial database of wildfires in the United States, 1992-2011.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Calkin, David E.; Herynk, Jason; McHugh, Charles W.; Short, Karen C. 2012. Airtankers and wildfire management in the US Forest Service: examining data availability and exploring usage and cost trends.
- Finney, Mark A.; McHugh, Charles W.; Grenfell, Isaac C.; Riley, Karin L.; Short, Karen C. 2011. A simulation of probabilistic wildfire risk components for the continental United States.
- Vogelmann, James E.; Kost, Jay R.; Tolk, Brian; Howard, Stephen; Short, Karen; Chen, Xuexia; Huang, Chengquan; Pabst, Kari; Rollins, Matthew G. 2011. Monitoring landscape change for LANDFIRE using multi-temporal satellite imagery and ancillary data.
- Toney, Chris; Rollins, Matthew; Short, Karen; Frescino, Tracey; Tymcio, Ronald; Peterson, Birgit. 2007. Use of FIA plot data in the LANDFIRE project.
- Short, K. C. 2013. A spatial database of wildfires in the United States, 1992-2011 Discussions.
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
- Short, Karen C.; Finney, Mark A.; Scott, Joe H.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W.; Grenfell, Isaac C. 2016. Spatial dataset of probabilistic wildfire risk components for the conterminous United States. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2016-0034
- Short, Karen C. 2017. Spatial wildfire occurrence data for the United States, 1992-2015 [FPA_FOD_20170508]. 4th Edition. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2013-0009.4