Julianna M. Jenkins
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Contact Julianna M. Jenkins
- Bioacoustics of pacific northwest forests
- Land management influences on wildlife interactions and space use
- Biology and ecology of the northern spotted owl
- Responses of northern spotted owls to landscape and wildlife community changes
- Wildlife Ecology and Management
- Population Dynamics
- Resource Selection
- Space Use
- Community Ecology
- Wildlife Monitoring
- Postfledging Neotropical Migrant Songbirds
- Northern Spotted Owl
Past research topics have included long-term trends in northern spotted owl dispersal and resource selection, studies of songbird community response to timber management in the midwest; and postfledging and nesting ecology of neotropical migrant songbirds.
Why This Research is Important
By understanding the effects of land use practices and environmental change on wildlife species and identifying factors regulating populations of managment concern, we are better able to assess habitats and assist with conservation planning at landscape and ecoregional-scales.
- University of Missouri, Phd Ecology 2016
- University of Wisconsin, B.S. Biology 2008
- USDA Forest Service Research and Development Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Primary station representative (2018 - Current)
- The Wildlife Society
- American Ornithological Society
- Ecological Society of America
Featured Publications & Products
- Jenkins, Julianna M. A.; Lesmeister, Damon B.; Wiens, J. David; Kane, Jonathan T.; Kane, Van R.; Verschuyl, Jake . 2019. Three-dimensional partitioning of resources by congeneric forest predators with recent sympatry.
- Jenkins, Julianna ; Lesmeister, Damon ; Forsman, Eric ; Dugger, Katie ; Ackers, Steven ; Andrews, L Steven; McCafferty, Chris ; Pruett, M Shane; Reid, Janice ; Sovern, Stan ; Horn, Rob ; Gremel, Scott ; Wiens, J David; Yang, Zhiqiang . 2019. Social status, forest disturbance, and Barred Owls shape long-term trends in breeding dispersal distance of Northern Spotted Owls.
- Jenkins, Julianna M. A.; Thompson, Frank R.; Faaborg, John; Kroll, Andrew J. 2017. Species-specific variation in nesting and postfledging resource selection for two forest breeding migrant songbirds.
- Perry, Roger W.; Jenkins, Julianna M.A.; Thill, Ronald E.; Thompson, Frank R., III. 2018. Long-term effects of different forest regeneration methods on mature forest birds.
- Sovern, Stan G.; Lesmeister, Damon B.; Dugger, Katie M.; Pruett, M. Shane; Davis, Raymond J.; Jenkins, Julianna M. 2019. Activity center selection by northern spotted owls.
- Jenkins, Julianna M. A.; Hart, Mikenzie; Eggert, Lori S.; Faaborg, John. 2017. Sex-specific movements in postfledging juvenile Ovenbirds (Seiurus aurocapilla).
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
- Jenkins, J. M. A., F. R. Thompson III, and J. Faaborg. Behavioral development and habitat structure affect postfledging movements of songbirds (2017) Journal of Wildlife Management 81(1):144–53. DOI: 10.1002/jwmg.21171Jenkins, J. M. A., F. Thompson III, and J. Faaborg. Contrasting patterns of nest survival and postfledging survival in Ovenbirds and Acadian Flycatchers in Missouri forest fragments (2016) The Condor: Ornithological Applications 118(3): 583-596. DOI: 10.1650/CONDOR-16-30.1Jenkins, J. M. A., and J. Faaborg. Potential effects of Brown-headed Cowbirds on host post-fledging dispersal and survival (2016) The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 128(2): 404-411.