Jeffrey D. Kline
USDA Forest Service, PNW Research Station
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Contact Jeffrey D. Kline
My current research is focused on evaluating tradeoffs in public land management, modeling fine-scaled land use and the effects of land-use policies, and understanding private landowner behavior concerning their wildfire risk mitigation and climate change adaptation activities.
Land use change, policy, and development, ecosystem services and public land management, open space conservation.
My past research has examined a variety of issues, including the effects of development on private forestry, private forest landowner response to financial incentives, and public perceptions and preferences for farmland preservation.
Why This Research is Important
Development of forest and other open space lands is inevitable. As these lands become more scarce, it becomes all the more important to ensure that they are managed in a manner that best provides the benefits that people desire from undeveloped landscapes, whether they be water, recreation, habitat, natural resource commodities, or other benefits. My work contributes to this goal by characterizing rates and patterns of forest and open space loss to development and examining ways in which people value and benefit from remaining forest and open space lands.
- University of Rhode Island, Ph.D. Environmental and Natural Resource Economics 1996
- University of New Hampshire, M.S. Resource Administration and Management 1988
- Pennsylvania State University, B.S. Environmental Resource Management 1984
- Paul Smiths College, A.A.S. Forest Technology 1981
Featured Publications & Products
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; White, Eric M.; Fischer, A Paige; Steen-Adams, Michelle M.; Charnley, Susan; Olsen, Christine S.; Spies, Thomas A.; Bailey, John D. 2017. Integrating social science into empirical models of coupled human and natural systems.
- Kline, Jeff; Harmon, Mark E.; Spies, Thomas A.; Morzillo, Anita T.; Pabst, Robert J.; McComb, Brenda C.; Schnekenburger, Frank; Olsen, Keith A.; Csuti, Blair; Vogeler, Jody C. 2016. Evaluating carbon storage, timber harvest, and habitat possibilities for a Western Cascades (USA) forest landscape.
- Ager, Alan A.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Fisher, A. Paige. 2015. Coupling the biophysical and social dimensions of wildfire risk to improve wildfire mitigation planning.
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2004. Issues in evaluating the costs and benefits of fuel treatments to reduce wildfire in the Nation's forests..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Thiers, Paul; Ozawa, Connie P.; Yeakley, J. Alan; Gordon, Sean N. 2014. How well has land-use planning worked under different governance regimes A case study in the Portland, OR-Vancouver, WA metropolitan area, USA.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Mazzota, Marisa J.; Spies, Thomas A.; Harmon, Mark E. 2013. Applying the ecosystem services concept to public land management.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Mazzotta, Marisa J. 2012. Evaluating tradeoffs among ecosystem services in the management of public lands.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Mazzotta, Marisa J.; Patterson, Trista M. 2009. Toward a rational exuberance for ecosystem services markets.
- Rosenberger, Randall S.; White, Eric M.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Cvitanovich, Claire. 2017. Recreation economic values for estimating outdoor recreation economic benefits from the National Forest System.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Rosenberger, Randall S.; White, Eric M. 2011. A national assessment of physical activity on US national forests.
- Charnley, Susan ; Kline, Jeffrey D.; White, Eric M.; Abrams, Jesse ; McLain, Rebecca J.; Moseley, Cassandra ; Huber-Stearns, Heidi . 2018. Chapter 8: Socioeconomic well-being and forest management in northwest forest plan- area communities.
- Kirkland, John ; White, Eric ; Kline, Jeffrey . 2018. How much fun Evaluating economic implications of recreation in national forests.
- Watts, Andrea; Spies, Thomas; Kline, Jeffrey; Cohen, Warren. 2017. Can we store carbon and have our timber and habitat too.
- Dempsey, Judith A.; Plantinga, Andrew J.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Lawler, Joshua J.; Martinuzzi, Sebastian; Radeloff, Volker C.; Bigelow, Daniel P. 2017. Effects of local land-use planning on development and disturbance in riparian areas.
- Bluffstone, R.; Coulston, J.; Haight, R.G.; Kline, J.; Polasky, S.; Wear, D.N.; Zook, K. 2017. Estimated values of carbon sequestration resulting from forest management scenarios.
- Olsen, Christine S.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Ager, Alan A.; Olsen, Keith A.; Short, Karen C. 2017. Examining the influence of biophysical conditions on wildland-urban interface homeowners' wildfire risk mitigation activities in fire-prone landscapes.
- Oliver, Marie; Charnley, Susan; Spies, Thomas; Kline, Jeff; White, Eric. 2017. Forests, people, fire: Integrating the sciences to build capacity for an All Lands approach to forest restoration.
- Shindler, Bruce; Spies, Thomas A.; Bolte, John P.; Kline, Jeffrey D. 2017. Integrating ecological and social knowledge: learning from CHANS research.
- Oliver, Marie; Kerns, Becky; Kim, John; Kline, Jeff. 2017. Mapping the future: U.S. exposure to multiple landscape stressors.
- Spies, Thomas A.; White, Eric; Ager, Alan; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Bolte, John P.; Platt, Emily K.; Olsen, Keith A.; Pabst, Robert J.; Barros, Ana M. G.; Bailey, John D.; Charnley, Susan; Morzillo, Anita T.; Koch, Jennifer; Steen-Adams, Michelle M.; Singleton, Peter H.; Sulzman, James; Schwartz, Cynthia; Csuti, Blair. 2017. Using an agent-based model to examine forest management outcomes in a fire-prone landscape in Oregon, USA.
- Latta, Gregory S.; Adams, Darius M.; Bell, Kathleen P.; Kline, Jeff. 2016. Evaluating land-use and private forest management responses to a potential forest carbon offset sales program in western Oregon (USA).
- Koch, Geoffrey; Ager, Alan; Kline, Jeff; Fischer, Paige. 2016. Polishing the prism: improving wildfire mitigation planning by coupling landscape and social dimensions.
- Lee, Yohan; Montgomery, Claire A.; Kline, Jeff. 2016. The influence of age-specific migration on housing growth in the rural Midwest (USA).
- Kerns, Becky K.; Kim, John B.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Day, Michelle A. 2016. US exposure to multiple landscape stressors and climate change.
- Oliver, Marie; Deal, Robert; Smith, Nikola; Blahna, Dale; Kline, Jeff. 2016. What people value: an ecosystem services approach to managing public lands.
- Fischer, A Paige; Spies, Thomas A; Steelman, Toddi A; Moseley, Cassandra; Johnson, Bart R; Bailey, John D; Ager, Alan A; Bourgeron, Patrick; Charnley, Susan; Collins, Brandon M; Kline, Jeff; Leahy, Jessica E; Littell, Jeremy S; Millington, James DA; Nielsen-Pincus, Max; Olsen, Christine S; Paveglio, Travis B; Roos, Christopher I; Steen-Adams, Michelle M; Stevens, Forrest R; Vukomanovic, Jelena; White, Eric; Bowman, David MJS. 2016. Wildfire risk as a socioecological pathology.
- Kline, Jeff; Ager, Alan A.; Fischer, Paige. 2015. A conceptual framework for coupling the biophysical and social dimensions of wildfire to improve fireshed planning and risk mitigation.
- Spies, Thomas A.; White, Eric M.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Fisher, A. Paige; Ager, Alan; Bailey, John; Bolte, John; Koch, Jennifer; Platt, Emily; Olsen, Christine S.; Jacobs, Derric; Shindler, Bruce; Steen-Adams, Michelle M.; Hammer, Roger. 2014. Examining fire-prone forest landscapes as coupled human and natural systems.
- Fischer, A. Paige; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Ager, Alan A.; Charnley, Susan; Olsen, Keith A. 2014. Objective and perceived wildfire risk and its influence on private forest landowners fuel reduction activities in Oregon s (USA) ponderosa pine ecoregion.
- Fischer, A. Paige; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Charnley, Susan; Olsen, Christine. 2013. Erratum to Identifying policy target groups with qualitative and quantitative methods: the case of wildfire risk on nonindustrial private forest lands Forest Policy and Economics. 25: 62 71.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Kerns, Becky K.; Day, Michelle A.; Hammer, Roger B. 2013. Mapping multiple forest threats in the northwestern United States.
- Mazza, Rhonda; Kline, Jeff; Patterson, Trista. 2012. Ecosystem service markets 101: supply and demand for nature.
- Oliver, Marie; Kline, Jeff. 2012. Seasonal neighbors: residential development encroaches on mule deer winter range in central Oregon.
- Smith, Nikola; Deal, Robert; Kline, Jeff; Blahna, Dale; Patterson, Trista; Spies, Thomas A.; Bennett, Karen. 2011. Ecosystem services as a framework for forest stewardship: Deschutes National Forest overview.
- Gosnell, Hannah; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Chrostek, Garrett; Duncan, James. 2011. Is Oregon's land use planning program conserving forest and farm land A review of the evidence.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Moses, Alissa; Burcsu, Theresa. 2010. Anticipating forest and range land development in central Oregon (USA) for landscape analysis, with an example application involving mule deer.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; White, Eric M. 2010. Land use planning ballot initiatives in the Pacific Northwest.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Moses, Alissa; Azuma, David L.; Gray, Andrew. 2009. Evaluating satellite imagery-based land use data for describing forestland development in western Washington.
- Mazza, Rhonda; Kline, Jeff; Cathcart, Jim. . 2009. Land use planning: a time-tested approach for addressing climate change.
- Rosenberger, Randall S.; Bergerson, Terry R.; Kline, Jeffrey D. 2009. Macro-linkages between health and outdoor recreation: the role of parks and recreation providers.
- Brown, Ryan N.K.; Rosenberger, Randall S.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Hall, Troy E.; Needham, Mark D. 2008. Visitor preferences for managing wilderness recreation after wildfire..
- Spies, T.A.; Johnson, K.N.; Burnett, K.M.; Ohmann, J.L.; McComb, B.C.; Reeves, G.H.; Bettinger, P.; Kline, J.D.; Garber-Yonts, B. 2007. Cumulative ecological and socioeconomic effects of forest policies in coastal Oregon..
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2007. Defining an economics research program to describe and evaluate ecosystem services..
- Kline, J.D. 2007. Development effects on private forest management: a critical look at the evidence..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Azuma, David L. 2007. Evaluating forest land development effects on private forestry in eastern Oregon..
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2006. Describing land use change in multidisciplinary analyses..
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2006. Public demand for preserving local open space..
- Theobald, David M.; Spies, Thomas; Kline, Jeff; Maxwell, Bruce; Hobbs, N. T.; Dale, Virginia H. 2005. Ecological support for rural land-use planning..
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2005. Forest and farmland conservation effects of Oregon's (USA) land-use planning program..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J. 2005. Forestland development and private forestry with examples from Oregon (USA)..
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2005. Our national concern about forestland development..
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2005. Predicted future forest- and farmland development in western Oregon with and without land use zoning in effect..
- Everest, Fred H.; Kakoyannis, Christina; Houston, Laurie; Stankey, George; Kline, Jeffery; Alig, Ralph. 2004. A review of scientific information on issues related to the use and management of water resources in the Pacific Northwest..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J.; Garber-Yonts, Brian. 2004. Forestland social values and open space preservation..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Azuma, David L.; Alig, Ralph J. 2004. Population growth, urban expansion, and private forestry in western Oregon..
- Alig, Ralph J.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Lichtenstein, Mark. 2004. Urbanization on the US landscape: looking ahead in the 21st century..
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2003. Characterizing land use change in multidisciplinary landscape-level analyses..
- Alig, Ralph J.; Plantinga, Andrew J.; Ahn, SoEun; Kline, Jeffrey D. 2003. Land use changes involving forestry in the United States: 1952 to 1997, with projections to 2050..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Azuma, David L.; Moses, Alissa. 2003. Modeling the spatially dynamic distribution of humans in the Oregon (USA) coast range..
- Houston, Laurie L.; Watanabe, Michio; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J. 2003. Past and future water use in Pacific Coast states..
- Houston, Laurie L.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J. 2002. Economics research supporting water resource stewardship in the Pacific Northwest..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Butler, Brett J.; Alig, Ralph J. 2002. Tree planting in the south: what does the future hold..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J. 2001. A spatial model of land use change for western Oregon and western Washington..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Armstrong, Catriona. 2001. Autopsy of forestry ballot initiative: characterizing voter support for Oregon's measure 64..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Moses, Alissa; Alig, Ralph J. 2001. Integrating urbanization into landscape-level ecological assessments..
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2001. Tourism and natural resource management: a general overview of research and issues..
- Kline, Jeffrey D. 2000. Comparing states with and without growth management analysis based on indicators with policy implications comment..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J.; Johnson, Rebecca L. 2000. Forest owner incentives to protect riparian habitat..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J.; Johnson, Rebecca L. 2000. Fostering the production of nontimber services among forest owners with heterogeneous objectives..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J. 1999. Does land use planning slow the conversion of forest and farm lands.
|Challenges in coordinating wildfire risk reduction among diverse forest owners|
Research across a multi-owner landscape in central Oregon found that in general, Forest Service management was likely to produce forest conditio ...
|Forest Mapping Study Helps Identify Regions with Multiple Threat Potential, Including Wildfires|
Policymakers and land managers can use the maps to identify locations where particular threats may be more concentrated relative to others and t ...
|Managing for Ecosystem Services on Public Land|
New report provides an overview of how national forests can address ecosystem services and tradeoffs associated with forest management plans and ...
|Nonindustrial Private Forestland Owners Consider Fuel Conditions and Past Wildfire Occurrence in Their Risk Mitigation Decisions|
A new landscape simulation model informs forest planning processes.
|Potential Land Use and Forest Management Implications for a Carbon-offset Incentive Program|
A new Forest Service study describes the potential implications for land use and management if a program where a forest owner could sell carbon ...
|The Effects of Landscape Restoration Strategies on Fire and Ecosystem Services Vary with Rate of Treatment in a Fire-prone Multi-ownership Region|
The results and the landscape modeling tool are being used by the Deschutes National Forest and the Deschutes Collaborative Forest Landscape Res ...
|Timber and Habitat Tradeoffs Associated with Managing West Cascades Forests to Increase Carbon Storage|
A new analysis describes potential timber and wildlife habitat outcomes that could result from national forest policies and management intended ...