John F. Hunt
Research Mechanical Engineer (Volunteer)
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Contact John F. Hunt
Hunt's primary focus is on process and performance modeling of wet formed hardboard type panels made from bio-based ligno-cellulosic materials including wood, wood fibers, recycled paper, and agro fibers. He also works on three-dimensional modeling of composites made from fibers, laminated materials, small diameter wood utilization through laminated structural lumber and whole tree fiberization. His research background knowledge includes molded fiber products, Spaceboard, Gridcore, wet-formed fiberboard manufacturing, recycling paper into structural products, press drying paper, fiberglass and carbon fibers in fiberboard, honeycomb paper cores, sandwich construction, veneer peeling, finite element analysis, and laminated paper.
- Small diameter tree utilization
- Recycle fibers
- Hardboard and Fiberboard
- FT-NIR spectroscopy
- Poisson's ratio of hardboard
- Microwave heating wood
- Laminated structures
- 3D Molding Processing
- Cantilever Beam Vibration
- Press-Drying Effects of Paper Fibers
- Finite Element Modeling
- Sandwich Panel Structures
1981-97: Fiber Product Design Criteria Research Work Unit. Professional support for the research work unit investigating the use of press-drying methods on paper fibers for paper materials. Developed concepts for 3D forming fiber structures and the improved performance of fiber produced materials. This method allowed the use of lesser used or lower quality fibrous materials to be up-graded for use as a packaging or structural material.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, M.S. Mechanical Engineering Mechanical Engineering 1997
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, B.S. Mechanical Engineering Mechanical Engineering 1981
- Professional Engineer of Wisconsin, Member (1999 - Current)
I am a licensed engineer in the State of Wisconsin
- International Molded Fiberboard Association , Member (1998 - Current)
Awards & Recognition
- AFPA Alvin J. Huss Award. Team Award: 8 Members, 1993
This award is presented in recognition of technological excellence in research and development of a new generation of recycled products using recovered paper and paperboard materials FPL Spaceboard an innovative, high performance structural sandwich f
Featured Publications & Products
- Sun, Qingfeng; Yu, Haipeng; Liu, Yixing; Li, Jian; Lu, Yun; Hunt, John F. 2010. Improvement of water resistance and dimensional stability of wood through titanium dioxide coating.
- Hunt, John F.; Gu, Hongmei; Lebow, Patricia. 2008. Theoretical thermal conductivity equation for uniform density wood cells.
- Hunt, John F.; O'Dell, Jane; Turk, Chris. 2008. Fiberboard bending properties as a function of density, thickness, resin, and moisture content.
- Hunt, John F.; Ahmed, Aziz; Friedrich, Katherine. 2008. Effects of fiber processing on properties of fiber and fiberboard made from lodgepole pine treetops.
- Turk, Chris; Hunt, John F.; Marr, David J. 2008. Cantilever-beam dynamic modulus for wood composite products. Part 1, apparatus.
- Lee, Christine ; Hunt, John. 2013. Binderless Panel Made From Wood Particles and Cellulosic Fibers.
- Dvorak, Stephen; Hunt, John. 2013. Composite Components From Anaerobic Digested Fibrous Materials.
- Herdt, Julee Ann; Schauermann, Kellen Scott; Hunt, John. 2017. Cut-Fold Shape Technology for Engineered Molded Fiber Boards.
- Noble, Robert; Hunt, John; Newburn, Timothy; Gu, Hongmei. 2015. Engineered Molded Fiberboard Panels and Methods of Making and Using the Same.
- Setterlholm, Vance C; Hunt, John. 1987. Method and Apparatus for Forming Three Dimensional Structural Components From Wood Fiber.
- Hunt, John. 2001. Apparatus for Molding Three-Dimensional Objects.
- Hunt, John. 2002. Method of Making Three-Dimensional Laminated Structures.
- Hunt, John. 1994. Methods and Apparatus for Making Grids From Fibers.
- Hunt, John F.; Qiu, Yanping. 2001. Multiple-Piece Corner Post.
- Dvorak, Stephen; Hunt, John. 2013. Composite Components From Anaerobic Digested Fibrous Materials.
- Noble, Robert; Gu, Hongmei; Newburn, Timothy; Mahoney, James; Hunt, John. 2012. Engineered Molded Fiberboard Panels and Methods of Making and Using the Same.
- Noble, Robert; Hunt, John; Gu, Hongmei; Newburn, Timothy ; Mahoney, James ; Lassegard, Coleen. 2013. Engineered Molded Fiberboard Panels, Methods of Making the Panels, and Products Fabricated From the Panels.
- Li, Jinghao ; Wei, Liqing ; Leng, Weiqi ; Hunt, John F.; Cai, Zhiyong . 2018. Fabrication and characterization of cellulose nanofibrils/epoxy nanocomposite foam.
- Leng, Weiqi; Hunt, John F.; Tajvidi, Mehdi. 2017. Effects of density, cellulose nanofibrils addition ratio, pressing method, and particle size on the bending properties of wet-formed particleboard.
- Li, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Gong, Shaoqin; Cai, Zhiyong. 2017. Orthogonal model and experimental data for analyzing wood-fiber-based tri-axial ribbed structural panels in bending.
- Ro, Y.H.; Hunt, J.F.; Rowlands, R.E. 2017. Technical note: stress analysis of cellulosic-manure composites.
- Hunt, John F.; Leng, Weiqi; Tajvidi, Mehdi. 2017. Vertical density profile and internal bond strength of wet-formed particleboard bonded with cellulose nanofibrils.
- Guan, Cheng; Zhang, Houjiang; Hunt, John F.; Yan, Haicheng. 2016. Determining shear modulus of thin wood composite materials using a cantilever beam vibration method.
- Li, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Gong, Shaoqin; Cai, Zhiyong. 2016. Improved fatigue performance for wood-based structural panels using slot and tab construction.
- Guan, Cheng; Zhang, Houjiang; Hunt, John F.; Zhou, Lujing; Feng, Dan. 2016. Measurement of Dynamic Viscoelasticity of Full-Size Wood Composite Panels Using a Vibration Testing Method.
- Herdt, Julee A; Hunt, John; Schauermann, Kellen. 2016. Newly invented biobased materials from low-carbon, diverted waste fibers: research methods, testing, and full-scale application in a case study structure.
- Li, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Gong, Shaoqin; Cai, Zhiyong. 2016. Simplified analytical model and balanced design approach for light-weight wood-based structural panel in bending.
- Alshaya, A.; Hunt, John; Rowlands, R. 2016. Stresses and strains in thick perforated orthotropic plates.
- Hunt, John F.; Zhang, Houjiang; Huang, Yan. 2015. Analysis of Cantilever-Beam Bending Stress Relaxation Properties of Thin Wood Composites.
- Zhang, Houjiang; Hunt, John F.; Zhou, Lujing. 2015. Comparison of Wood Composite Properties Using Cantilever-Beam Bending.
- Li, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Gong, Shaoqin; Cai, Zhiyong. 2015. Fatigue behavior of wood-fiber-based tri-axial engineered sandwich composite panels (ESCP).
- Li, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Gong, Shaoqin; Cai, Zhiyong. 2015. Testing and evaluation of a slot and tab construction technique for light-weight wood-fiber-based structural panels under bending.
- Li, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Gong, Shaoqin; Cai, Zhiyong. 2014. High Strength Wood-based Sandwich Panels reinforced with fiberglass and foam.
- Li, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Gong, Shaoqin; Cai, Zhiyong. 2014. Wood-based Tri-Axial Sandwich Composite Materials: Design, Fabrication, Testing, Modeling and Application.
- Li, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Cai, Zhiyong; Zhou, Xianyan. 2013. Bending analyses for 3D engineered structural panels made from laminated paper and carbon fabric.
- Hunt, John F.; Zhang, Houjiang; Guo, Zhiren; Fu, Feng. 2013. Cantilever Beam Static and Dynamic Response Comparison with Mid-Point Bending for Thin MDF composite Panels.
- Liu, Zhijia; Hunt, John F.; Cai, Zhiyong. 2013. Fire performance of fiber board coated with nano kaolin-clay film.
- Turk, Chris; Hunt, John F. 2007. Development of a bending stiffness model for wet process fiberboard.
- Gu, Hongmei; Hunt, John F. 2007. Two-dimensional finite element heat transfer model of softwood. Part III, Effect of moisture content on thermal conductivity.
- Hunt, John F.; Supan, Karen. 2006. Binderless fiberboard : comparison of fiber from recycled corrugated containers and refined small-diameter whole treetops.
- Winandy, Jerrold E.; Hunt, John F.; Turk, Christopher; Anderson, James R. 2006. Emergency housing systems from three-dimensional engineered fiberboard : temporary building systems for lightweight, portable, easy-to-assemble, reusable, recyclable, and biodegradable structures.
- Bilek, E.M. (Ted); Hunt, John F. 2006. LamLum : a tool for evaluating the financial feasibility of laminated lumber plants.
- Hunt, John F.; Gu, Hongmei. 2006. Two-dimensional finite element heat transfer model of softwood. Part I, Effective thermal conductivity.
- Gu, Hongmei; Hunt, John F. 2006. Two-dimensional finite element heat transfer model of softwood. Part II, Macrostructural effects.
- Hunt, John F.; Gu, Hongmei; Walsh, Philip; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2005. Development of new microwave-drying and straightening technology for low-value curved timber.
- Hunt, John F.; Supan, Karen. 2005. Mechanical properties for a wet-processed fiberboard made from small-diameter lodgepole pine treetop material.
- Hunt, John F. 2004. 3D engineered fiberboard : finite element analysis of a new building product.
- Hunt, John F. 2004. 3D structural panels : a literature review.
- Hunt, John F.; Vick, Charles B. 2004. Evaluation of coupling agents to manufacture hybrid hardboard made from industrial waste fiberglass and wood fiber.
- Hunt, John F.; Gu, Hongmei. 2004. Finite element analyses of two dimensional, anisotropic heat transfer in wood.
- Hunt, John F.; Harper, David P.; Friedrich, Katherine A. 2004. Three-dimensional engineered fiberboard : opportunities for the use of low valued timber and recycled material.
- Gu, Hongmei; Hunt, John F. 2004. Two dimensional finite element heat transfer models for softwood.
- Hunt, John F.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2003. 3D engineered fiberboard : engineering analysis of a new building product.
- Hunt, John F.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2003. Lam I-joists : a new structural building product from small-diameter, fire-prone timber.
- Hunt, John F.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2002. 3D engineered fiberboard : a new structural building product.
- Hunt, John F.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2002. Using wood-based structural products as forest management tools to improve forest health, sustainability and reduce forest fuels : a research program of the USDA Forest Service under the National Fire Plan.
- Hunt, John F.; Tamasy-Bano, Margit; Nyist, Heike. 1999. Modelling the drying of three-dimensional pulp moulded structures. Part II, Drying data obtained from flat panels using virgin and recycled paper fibre.
- Hunt, John F. 1998. Know your fibers : process and properties, or, a material science approach to designing pulp molded products.
- Nyist, Heike; Hunt, John F.; Tamasy-Bano, Margit. 1998. Modeling drying of three-dimensional pulp molded structures. Part I, Experimental program.
|3D Engineered Panels from Laminated Paper Composites have Broad Potential|
Forest Service researchers are studying the use of high-strength laminated paper composite material as a low-cost replacement for aluminum and s ...
|Panels Made from Wood and Recycled Fibers Go To Hollywood and Around the World|
The Forest Service's Forest Products Laboratory is moving sustainable structural panel forming technology from the laboratory to commercial real ...
|Partnership Produces 3D (3-Dimensional) Engineered Fiberboard Panels|
Naturally bonded boards can use fibers produced from a variety of renewable sources including wood from forest thinnings and recycled paper fibe ...
|Technology Transfer in Action|
FPL-developed panels made from forest residuals, recycled fiber, and agricultural by-products are being commercialized by two start-up companies ...