Jessica W. Wright
Research Geneticist Plants
1731 Research Park
Contact Jessica W. Wright
As a conservation geneticist, I use genetic tools to understand population responses to threats in our nation's forested ecosystems. These threats include climate change, pathogens and environmental stress.
Common garden and field studies: Provenance tests are common gardens containing trees grown from seed collected from multiples sources across the species range, allow for the comparison of many different genotypes in a common environment. PSW has been establishing these types of studies since 1938. I am focusing on historical tests planted by PSW as well as establishing a new test we are working to establish in Valley Oaks to understand how trees might respond to a changing climate. I also used a common garden study in Tanoaks to help understand how traits measured in a nursery setting- including growth and resistance to the pathogen that causes Sudden Oak Death- might predict performance in a field setting in the presence of SOD. In the field, we are looking at the importance of insect pollinator communities in Tanoak forests impacted by SOD.
Genomics: The phenotypes measured in common garden studies are the products of genes. I am using genomic tools (Genotyping by Sequencing and Transcriptomics) to understand the relationships between tree traits, local climate, genes and gene expression. Along with my collaborators, we are addressing a range of questions. What is the association between climate and allele frequencies in koa in Hawaii and valley oak in California? What is the association with allele frequencies and traits in valley oaks? What genes are expressed when a tanoak leaf is infected with the pathogen that causes Sudden Oak Death? What genes are expressed in sugar pine trees from Oregon, California and Mexico when they are all grown in the same environment? The answers to these questions will help our understanding of the genetics underlying tree responses to climate, and how populations might be impacted by a changing climate.
- Rutgers University, Ph.D. 2000
- Amherst College, B.A. Magna Cum Laude 1994
- Gugger, Paul F.; Peñaloza-Ramírez, Juan Manuel; Wright, Jessica W.; Sork, Victoria L. 2016. Whole-Transcriptome Response To Water Stress In A California Endemic Oak, Quercus Lobata.
- Delfino-Mix, Annette; Wright, Jessica W.; Gugger, Paul F.; Liang, Christina; Sork, Victoria L. 2015. Establishing A Range-Wide Provenance Test In Valley Oak (Quercus Lobata N e) At Two California Sites.
- Wright, Jessica; Dumroese, Kas; Symstad, Amy; Pitts-Singer, Theresa; Cane, Jim; Krupnick, Gary; Olwell, Peggy; Love, Byron; Sellers, Elizabeth; Englert, John; Wood, Troy. 2015. Native Plant Development And Deployment Section Vii.
- Albarrán-Lara, Ana L.; Wright, Jessica W.; Gugger, Paul F.; Delfino-Mix, Annette; Peñaloza-Ramírez, Juan Manuel; Sork, Victoria L. 2015. Phenotypic Variation In California Populations Of Valley Oak (Quercus Lobata N e) Sampled Along Elevational Gradients.
- Hayden, Katherine J.; Garbelotto, Matteo; Knaus, Brian J.; Cronn, Richard C.; Rai, Hardeep; Wright, Jessica W. 2014. Dual Rna-Seq Of The Plant Pathogen Phytophthora Ramorum And Its Tanoak Host.
- Wright, Jessica. 2014. Genetics Of Forest Trees.
- Wright, Jessica W.; Dodd, Richard S. 2013. Could Tanoak Mortality Affect Insect Biodiversity Evidence For Insect Pollination In Tanoaks.
- Dodd, Richard S; Nettel, Alejandro; Wright, Jessica W.; Afzal-Rafii, Zara. 2013. Genetic Structure Of Notholithocarpus Densiflorus(Fagaceae) From The Species To The Local Scale: A Review Of Our Knowledge For Conservation And Replanting.
- McDonald, Philip M.; Zhang, Jianwei; Senock, Randy S.; Wright, Jessica W. 2013. Morphology, Physiology, Genetics, Enigmas, And Status Of An Extremely Rare Tree: Mutant Tanoak.
- Hayden, Katherine J.; Garbelotto, Matteo; Dodd, Richard; Wright, Jessica W. 2013. Scaling Up From Greenhouse Resistance To Fitness In The Field For A Host Of An Emerging Forest Disease.
- Hayden, Katherine J.; Dodd, Richard S.; Eyre, Catherine; Garbelotto, Matteo; Wright, Jessica W. 2013. Scaling Up From Greenhouse To Field Resistance In Tanoaks.
- Rai, Hardeep S.; Mock, Karen E.; Richardson, Bryce A.; Cronn, Richard C.; Hayden, Katherine J.; Wright, Jessica W.; Knaus, Brian J.; Wolf, Paul G. 2013. Transcriptome Characterization And Detection Of Gene Expression Differences In Aspen (Populus Tremuloides).
- Adams, Robert P.; Wright, Jessica W. 2012. Alkanes And Terpenes In Wood And Leaves Of Pinus Jeffreyi And P. Sabiniana.
- Hayden, Katherine J.; Wright, Jessica W.; Dodd, Richard S.; Garbelotto, Matteo. 2012. Developing A Disease Resistance Research Program For Tanoaks.
- Hayden, Katherine J.; Garbelotto, Matteo; Fai, Hardeep; Knaus, Brian; Cronn, Richard; Wright, Jessica W. 2012. Gene Expression In The Tanoak-Phytophthora Ramorum Interaction.
- Moyle, Leonie; Mia, Levine; Maureen, Stanton; Wright, Jessica. 2012. Hybrid Sterility Over Tens Of Meters Between Ecotypes Adapted To Serpentine And Non-Serpentine Soils.
- Wright, Jessica; von Wettberg, Eric. 2009. Serpentinomics-An Emerging New Field Of Study.
- Lau, J.A.; McCall, A; Davies, K; McKay, J; Wright, J. 2008. Herbivores And Edaphic Factors Constrain The Realized Niche Of A Native Plant.
|Do Insects Visit and Pollinate Tanoak Flowers|
The knowledge is key for informed conservation of the species
|Historic Critchfield Memorial Herbarium Goes Digital: Believed to Be the Largest Collection of Pine Specimens in the World|
The USDA Forest Service's Pacific SouthwestResearch Station, Institute of Forest Genetics, Placerville, CA, has released the online version of i ...
|Sequencing the transcriptome of tanoak seedlings infected with Phytophthora ramorum|
We have sequenced and assembled the transcriptome of Notholithocarpus densiflorus (tanoak) as well as the pathogen that causes Sudden Oak Death ...