322 E. Front Street, Suite 401
Contact Jessica Irwin
- Testing the efficacy of seed zones for re-establishment and adaptation of bluebunch wheatgrass (Pseudoroegneria spicata).
- Dispersal rates of forage kochia (Bassia prostrata) from seeded areas in southern Idaho.
Jessica has interest in landscape genetics, distribution and migration of native plants, plant community restoration, and invasion ecology.
Much of our understanding of plant species ranges, habitats and diversity originates from specimens housed in local and regional herbaria. In recent decades, specimen collecting has been on the decline, leading to an increasing reliance on older material. For her masters thesis, Jessica completed a comprehensive floristic inventory of east-central-Idaho, documenting 1,349 unique taxa and one species new to science. In this project, she developed data management methods to capture location and ecological information with greater precision and accuracy than past inventories. A total of 11,237 of specimens were contributed to the Rocky Mountain Herbarium through this project.
- University of Wyoming, Laramie WY, M.S., Botany Floristics 2014
- Eastern Washington University, Cheney WA, B.A., Geography Biogeography GIS certificate 2007
- Botanist, USDA RMRS GSD
2015 - Current
Population genetics and seed transfer zones, dispersal ecology.
- AIM Crew Leader, Great Basin Intitute / Washington State BLM, Wenatchee FO
2015 - 2015
Assessment, inventory and monitoring (AIM) of vegetation in one and two year post-fire habitats of eastern Washington.
- Research Botanist, Idaho Natural Heritage Progam, ID Fish and Game Dept.
2014 - 2015
Survey, monitoring and assessment of special status plants.
- Biological Science Technician (Wildlife), USDA Salmon-Challis National Forest
2012 - 2012
Monitoring sage grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus) habitat for canopy, cover, and diversity.
- Research Associate, Great Basin Institute
2008 - 2009
Monitoring first year post-fire vegetation in desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) habitat.
- Idaho Native Plant Society, Member (2010 - Current)
Bi-annual Rare Plant Conference and Chapter meetings.
- Kilkenny, Francis ; Edwards, Fred ; Irwin, Jessica ; Barga, Sarah . 2018. Great Basin Native Plant Project: 2017 Progress Report.
- Kilkenny, Francis ; Edwards, Fred ; Irwin, Jessica ; Barga, Sarah . 2017. Great Basin Native Plant Project: 2016 Progress Report.