Director of WWETAC and NWCH
3625 93rd Ave. SW
Contact Jessica Halofsky
My research is focused on assessing potential effects of climate change on forest vegetation and disturbance regimes, using both modelling and field-based approaches. I also facilitate development of climate change vulnerability assessments and adaptation plans for national forests and other partners across the western United States. My recent focus has been on developing tools to facilitate application of vulnerability assessment and adaptation information in management processes.
- Fire and disturbance ecology
- Vegetation dynamics
- Climate change effects on forests
- Climate change vulnerability assessment
- Climate change adaptation
My past work explored controls on fire severity and post-fire vegetation recovery in riparian areas, and the effects of alternative planting practices on surface coal mines reclaimed with municipal biosolids.
Why This Research is Important
Climate change is likely to be a major challenge for natural resource managers in the coming decades. Understanding potential effects of climate change on vegetation, disturbance regimes, and other ecosystem attributes and processes is critical for land managers to develop adaptive strategies and minimize the negative effects of climate change on ecosystems and the services they provide.
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Forest Science 2007
- Penn State University, M.A. Forest Resources 2002
- Bucknell University, B.S. Environmental Studies 1999
- Halofsky, Jessica E.; Peterson, David L.; Ho, Joanne J., eds. 2019. Climate change vulnerability and adaptation in south-central Oregon.
- Hudec, Jessica L.; Halofsky, Jessica E.; Peterson, David L.; Ho, Joanne J., eds. 2019. Climate change vulnerability and adaptation in southwest Washington.
- Halofsky, Jessica E.; Littell, Jeremy S.; Peterson, David L.; Hayward, Gregory D.; Gravenmier, Rebecca . 2019. Managing Effects of Drought and Other Water Resource Challenges in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.
- Peterson, David L.; Halofsky, Jessica E.; Pile, Lauren S. 2019. Managing Effects of Drought in the Interior West.
- Halofsky, Joshua S.; Conklin, David R.; Donato, Daniel C.; Halofsky, Jessica E.; Kim, John B. 2018. Climate change, wildfire, and vegetation shifts in a high-inertia forest landscape: Western Washington, U.S.A..