Jeffrey E. Ott
322 E. Front Street Suite 401
Contact Jeffrey E. Ott
I study effects of fire and invasive species on plant communities, post-fire seeding techniques, and ecological genetics of native plants, primarily in semi-arid ecosystems of the Intermountain West. My research includes studies aimed at understanding how climate and other environmental factors influence plant distributions across landscapes and regions.
My research interests include several areas of basic and applied ecology, including disturbance ecology, restoration ecology, invasive species management, ecological genetics, vegetation description & analysis, and floristic biogeography.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Ph.D. Biology 2010
- Brigham Young University, M.S. Botany 2001
- Brigham Young University, B.S. Conservation Biology 1998
Featured Publications & Products
- Ott, Jeffrey E.; Cox, Robert D.; Shaw, Nancy L.; Newingham, Beth A.; Ganguli, Amy C.; Pellant, Mike; Roundy, Bruce A.; Eggett, Dennis L. 2016. Postfire drill-seeding of Great Basin plants: Effects of contrasting drills on seeded and nonseeded species.
- Ott, Jeffrey E.; Cox, Robert D.; Shaw, Nancy L. 2017. Comparison of postfire seeding practices for Wyoming big sagebrush.
- Ott, Jeffrey E.; Halford, Anne; Shaw, Nancy. 2016. Seeding techniques for sagebrush community restoration after fire.
- Ott, Jeffrey E.; Kilkenny, Francis F.; Summers, Daniel D.; Thompson, Tyler W. 2019. Long-term vegetation recovery and invasive annual suppression in native and introduced postfire seeding treatments.
- Baughman, Owen W.; Agneray, Alison C.; Forister, Matthew L.; Kilkenny, Francis F.; Espeland, Erin K.; Fiegener, Rob ; Horning, Matthew E.; Johnson, Richard C.; Kaye, Thomas N.; Ott, Jeff ; St. Clair, John Bradley; Leger, Elizabeth A. 2019. Strong patterns of intraspecific variation and local adaptation in Great Basin plants revealed through a review of 75 years of experiments.
- Finch, Deborah M.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Reeves, Matt C.; Ott, Jeffrey E.; Kilkenny, Francis F.; Butler, Jack L.; Ott, Jacqueline P.; Pinto, Jeremy R.; Ford, Paulette L.; Runyon, Justin B.; Rumble, Mark A.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2016. Rangeland drought: Effects, restoration, and adaptation Chap. 8.
- Ott, Jeffrey E.; Sanderson, Stewart C.; McArthur, E. Durant. 2015. Plant species coalition groups of Zion National Park: An individualistic, floristic alternative to vegetation classification.
- Ott, Jeffrey E.; McArthur, E. Durant; Sanderson, Stewart C. 2011. Vegetation dynamics at a Mojave Desert restoration site, 1992 to 2007.
- Sanderson, Stewart C.; Ott, Jeffrey E.; McArthur, E. Durant; Harper, Kimball T. 2006. RCLUS, a new program for clustering associated species: A demonstration using a Mojave Desert plant community dataset.
- Ott, Jeffrey E.; McArthur, E. Durant; Roundy, Bruce A. 2003. Vegetation of chained and non-chained seedings after wildfire in Utah.
- Ott, Jeffrey E.; McArthur, E. Durant; Sanderson, Stewart C. 2001. Plant community dynamics of burned and unburned sagebrush and pinyon-juniper vegetation in West-Central Utah.
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
- Long-term vegetation recovery and invasive annual suppression in native and introduced post-fire seeding treatments (in review)
|New Seeding Techniques Restore Sagebrush Ecosystems Following Wildfire|
Sagebrush ecosystems of the Great Basin are being rapidly converted to annual grasslands dominated by invasive weeds such as cheatgrass (Bromus ...